screwed up my finish

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by jeremyx28, May 6, 2012.

1. jeremyx28

jeremyx28 New Member

So im an ass. I whitened my letters and realized after the fact the nail polish remover I was using was not acetone free. Is there anything I can do to correct this? I hope you can see it in the pic. Any help would be appreciated.

ForumRunner_20120506_223020.jpg

2. Can't really see the damage. I think I might see it but not sure.

3. steverich88

steverich88 New Member

If you think you messed it up polish the slide

4. Argyle64

Argyle64 New Member

Take some CLP, drench a paper towel or shop cloth and rub it across your slide. Next time use brake cleaner to remove excess nail polish and then use CLP to clean up the "ruined finish".

5. Only thing I think I see is the "ghosting" effect that comes with doing the letters sometimes, it appears as a haze. Get some non acetone remover and continue to wipe it down. Which will remove the ghosting.

6. Looking at it more I think the ghosting is what you are experiencing. I don't think you ruined it, just have to get the nail polish haze off.

Don't feel bad. You want to hear ruined? Check this out.....

A friend of mine just recently got a Les Baer custom 1911 that cost $1900. The gun had the ambi safety on it when he got it so he ordered and installed a single. Well the ambi ever so slightly rubbed the finish on the right side of the gun so he was going to touch up the finish. He got up from his bench for a minute and came back to get started. Somehow he grabbed the blueing remover instead of the degreaser and wiped the whole gun down before he realized what he did.:eek: I have not been over there to see how bad it is and he hasn't sent me a pic.

I offered him $300 for it but he turned it down. lmao

7. Argyle64

Argyle64 New Member

I'll give him $400 for it.

8. Webphisher

Webphisher Duct Tape, Alabama Chrome

Looks like maybe its around the 17. Hard to tell. My dumb ass sister did her nails on the same table I do painting on, and she left her acetone remover out, and I got my dads slide with it. Sadly only way I know to fix it is refinish.

9. jeremyx28

jeremyx28 New Member

Gonna try the non acetone remover tomorrow. Thanks for the tips

10. In the mean time I would wipe it down with something to remove the acetone like alchohol or brake cleaner. Atleast wipe it doen with your gun oil.

11. jtk07

jtk07 New Member

Let us know how it goes :) Good Luck

12. jeremyx28

jeremyx28 New Member

Thank you guys for your help. Once I got the acetone removed the finish came back. I decided I don't want white letters anymore lol. It just wasn't working out for me, maybe my stamping isn't the greatest. I just couldn't get it to look the way I wanted. But I just want to say thank you one more time...I really thought I ruined my finish.