scratches

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by bfish, Feb 15, 2012.

1. bfish

bfish Member

Just curious about scratches on your frames... I assumed this wouldn't be an issue I bought my gun brand new 2 months ago and carry it almost every day or at least have it in the car. All the while I baby the heck out of my girlfriend actually gives me a hard time about it! But how rough can you be before you get scratches? Something to worry about or was this something that was probably originally there that went unnoticed until now? I haven't been rough on it but yet there is a nice scratch anyways its not a big deal but none the less I'm just curious

2. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

(I am assuming you are talking about a Glock here)....the frame is a high-density polymer, meaning it's made of plastic. It will scratch, and it will gouge, and it will melt (at a high enough temperature). That being said, I have had my G26 (my daily carry) for several years now, and have not gotten a single scratch on it, without going out of my way to baby it. My G30 I have had for longer, and same thing: no scratches. If it is in a holster, you have even less to worry about in terms of scratching it, and it will be safer to have around when loaded that way, BUT, some holsters will eventually cause scuff marks (what we generically call "holster rash"). Eventually.

Pretty hard to mess up that Tenifer finish on the slide, and the frames themselves are pretty durable. Did you have a really sharp object around it, like an open knife, or the latch of your glove box in the car, or something? And are you certain it's a scratch and not a crack?

3. triggerhappy

triggerhappy New Member

I agree with Happysniper1. Unless you must have mistakenly had other items touching your gun, it should not have any scratches. I learned the hard way by carrying mine in my purse unholstered and found other items like phone and keys scratching the slide.

4. Levelcross

Levelcross New Member

Same as above, my EDC is starting to show some holster shine around the muzzle and nothing else. While I do take care of all my guns, my Glock sees the most carry time and gets bumped around and still looks great. The tenifer coating is tough.

5. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

I've seen some pretty beaten up LEO turn ins, and I have no idea how they did what they did to those guns, but those are rare. It takes some pretty good force to put any kind of deep scratch in those frames.

6. bfish

bfish Member

No as I said I baby it and its always holstered in the consel with nothing around in my pants or on my dresser. Nothing bad has happened other than it was dropped on concrete the first week because I had the holstered gun tucked under my arm because I couldn't carry on my person that day based upon where I was going. And needless to go into more detail it hit the porch and went unscaved small scuff on the slide behind the sight that is goes unnoticed until informed about it and squinting a little. But the frame area that is scratched is pretty much covered by the holster and so I'm not sure but it must have come this way because I haven't had anything sharp around it... I'll keep an eye on it and see I have assumed they are crazy durable and was suprised to see the scratch that's why I asked... Thanks guys

7. fls348

fls348 New Member

Just a tip, if your frame gets scratched (not gouged) or if you get the classic shiny areas from everyday wear, rub down the frame with 000 steel wool. It will literally bring it back to a new look.

I use this fairly often with our Dept. Glocks that are a little aged and get the common scratches and shiny wear spots, mainly around the front and back straps.

8. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

]

That could do it. Any stones or pebbles between the frame and floor would do it as well.

BTW, any exposed rivets in your holster? Just a thouht....

9. iGlock

iGlock Lead Farmer

My g30 got scratched :(

Attached Files:

10. bfish

bfish Member

No rivets alls good there and it was like smooth bust your butt when its wet concrete no dirt plebbles or anything and I got sick to my stomach on the drop! So I looked it over so well when it was dropped and didn't see it then so idk I still havent figured a cause... I'm just going to keep my eye out and be sure that there are not any new ones that appear. Then all will be fine

11. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

12. bfish

bfish Member

Ya I'm on the Android app.. and I think ill have to do it through my computer. So it will have to wait until tomorrow or the weekend. And ill have to get a good picture and all

13. bfish

bfish Member

Actually the app is amazing here you go right below where the mag release is (or would be if reversed)

ForumRunner_20120216_003735.jpg

14. iguana0983

iguana0983 New Member

OMG!!!!!! That almost made me cry :(

15. iGlock

iGlock Lead Farmer

It made me tear up lol

16. bfish

bfish Member

That is bad! I also would feel like crying! How did that happen?

17. rivalarrival

rivalarrival Are we there yet?

The black on the slide is a parkerized finish. The tenifer is under that, silver/gray, and much MUCH harder, at the upper edge of tool steel.

My line of thinking is that scars are just tattoos with better stories. A little holster rash, a few scuffs and scratches just add personality. If I wanted my guns in pristine condition, I'd put them under glass.

18. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

If it's that whitish line in the pic (sorry, failing eyes), looks like something hit it. Do you wear a ring with diamonds or rough edges on on?

In any case, it is not something to worry about.

19. bfish

bfish Member

No I don't wear a ring. But it is on the outside when on my hip while carrying and you can see the holste.. but ya to best describe it, it would be as if you took a flat head screwdriver and pushed into it and up or something idk weird scratch but thanks ill get over it I'm sure haha

20. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

I'm sorry I cannot be of more help, buddy. To get rid of the whitish appearance, you could Sharpe over it and wipe the excess ink off. Best I can do.

Take care