SBRs

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Ghost23, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Ghost23

Ghost23 New Member

I know its a bit off topic, but recently, the thought of getting an SBR came to me.

Do any of you have an SBR?

Is it legal to have an SBR in your state/area?

2. KeenansGarage

KeenansGarage Hiding in plain sight....

I have been on this like white on rice...haven't committed yet though. They are legal in MS (and AL recently). They are not hard to get, just pay a $200.00 tax stamp and if your state allows it, it's yours! Now, having said that, expect a 5-8 month wait for the ATF to process your form and get the tax stamp back to you. They will cash your check within 30 days though.

I will say, figure out exactly why you want it, and then plan accordingly. I want a 10.5 in AR. That way I can put a 6 in suppressor and still keep it under a typicaly M4 length.

3. jfirecops

jfirecops New Member

It's legal in GA. I have one, and on the wait list for my second. It took about 4 months for the first one last year, but the rotate ATF agents that handles the work and they are overworked, so depending on who you get will depend on the wait, as little as 3 months and as long as 9. Follow the directions exactly that comes with the form and check it three times before you mail it. Also, if it is legal in your state, your Sheriff or police chief will have to sign off on it and it is personal with those guys so they are under no obligation to sign. A trust can be formed to work around that though.

Do you have any specific questions?

4. MikeDeltaRomeo

MikeDeltaRomeo New Member

If you do get an SBR make sure the reciever is registered in multiple calibers, so you can switch out your uppers legally. Once you have an a reciever in multiple calibers, you can legally buy any kind of upper that will be compatible with your lower. I suggest getting an AR platform because the sky is the limit, so many choices of brands and calibers. If you have the means I suggest getting a LWRC, POF, or Knight's Armament. So choice.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  5. DVCguns

DVCguns New Member

ATF will not allow multiple caliber SBRs anymore. I know, mine was kicked back with "pick a caliber" as the reason. Make sure your lower is "top shelf" and get it engraved. ATF has all the rules on their website on how to do it.

6. Ghost23

Ghost23 New Member

That sucks. I was wanting to get a 6.8 and a 5.56 SBR. I guess ill stick with the 5.56 then. Anyone have any recommendations on twist? I dont want to sacrifice much velocity or grain weight on the length. im also looking for brands.

7. KeenansGarage

I do know guys that have put the individual calibers on there and had it pass recently.

DVC, did you write 'Multiple Calibers' or did you write them out '5.56, .458, 6.8' etc? The guys I know listed the calibers and used "5.56, 9mm, .22"

Also, Like jfirecops said, you can use a trust to bypass the Chief Police officer/Sheriff signature. Most of the people in MS are doing it this way. I should have mentioned that in my first post.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  8. jfirecops

jfirecops New Member

If you take a lower and build it saying 5.56 at 10.5 inches, you can temporarily put other uppers on it as long as you still have the original upper with it.

SO you want both, register it as a 5.56, and make sure the 5.56 is always in the case and transport or store it with the 5.56 on it. Or whatever caliber you want to do as a primary. Also, make sure a copy of your Form 1 or Form 4 is with you and you have a 5320.20 if you cross state lines.

As far as twist, any twist will work, you will just need to pick a different round to shoot. Take 5.56, in a 1 in 9 twist 16" or 20" barrel, a 55 or even a 49 gr works well for 100 yard plus accuracy but you would need a 62 or 69 grain out of a 1 in 9 twist 10 inch barrel. Mine is a 1 in 9, 10.5 heavy barrel, and still shoots great out to 100 with 69 gr BTHP.

9. DVCguns

DVCguns New Member

Mine is a 300whisper SBR that was sent in as "30cal, 5.56, 9mm, 22lr" and was rejected.

Temp config works for now...

10. KeenansGarage

It's a shame they have started rejecting them for multiple calibers now. That stinks.

11. Ghost23

Ghost23 New Member

No kidding. I was really considering the 300 AAC Blackout, but there just isnt enough variety out there right now