Saiga 12-gauge

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by bryanbrescia, Feb 19, 2012.

1. So, I have been interested in one of these for quite some time, but does anyone know what the legal round count is to have in a shotgun? I have heard some people say you can only legally have 3 rounds in a shotgun, others more, but I figured Id ask if anyone knew for sure, seeing as how it has a magazine.

Also, if you have one, lets see some pics, and can you tell me some pros and cons of them?

2. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

In NV, the maximum legal limit for GAME HUNTING is 3 rounds max magazine capacity.

For sport (trap & skeet) and home protection or just blowing sh*t up, there is no limit.

My Saiga-12 came with 1 5-round magazine. I have added 3 10-round magazines. :D

3. KeenansGarage

KeenansGarage Hiding in plain sight....

Happysniper1 is right. HUNTING requires a limit of 3. Don't ever get caught with more in the gun (or the capability of having more). You legally have to have a plug in your gun to only allow 3 rounds (one in chamber and 2 in the tube). This means you have to have a plug in your magazine if you want to use your Saiga for hunting.

As for everything else...you know they sell drums for Saigas! Load as many as you want!

4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

I would advise the OP to check the laws in his area...

5. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

^^^----what Shooter said. Most Important!

6. G17XJ_BS

G17XJ_BS New Member

In Kansas, the restrictions on magazine capacity apply differently to native birds and migratory birds. 3 shell limit with ducks, geese. With pheasant and quail the magazine can be full.

7. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

The 3 shot law as it pertains to Illinois is only related to hunting. There is no Illinois state law limiting the number of rounds your shotgun can hold outside of hunting, or being on state land during hunting season.

HOWEVER, Chicago is another story.
    Per Chicago regs you can't have any semiauto shotgun that has any of the following; folding or telescoping stock, pistol grip, fixed mag cap of more than 5, or a detachable mag

http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/ordinances/chicago.pdf

8. KeenansGarage

KeenansGarage Hiding in plain sight....

You are very correct! My mistake for not mentioning that earlier.

The 3 shell limit does apply to migratory birds, that is correct also. Non-migratory birds or small game may have different limits based on each state game laws.

9. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

So Bryan...are you actually in Chicago ?...the burbs ?

This is why it pays to know exactly where you legally stand in regards to where you live...

Great post bhale187...

10. Well, im in the burbs, obviously I will have to do some digging, but Im not in the city limits, or in Cook County (the county that chicago is in) so, I may be ok, but I will definitely have to do some digging to find out my local laws. But I wasnt sure if 3 shot was hunting or for everything