Glock Firearms banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well kinda, im planning on making a room in my basement about 8' x 15' give or take that will be for reloading, storing of some guns and what ever else maybe a cb station for a added hobby, just my own little man cave, anyway I figure if I build it from cinder block, I can have it double as a safe/panic room, incase a threat of tornado, or a heaven forbid a break in and were home, so... Cinder block walls, steal doors, what about the top between the floor in my sons room and the top of the room? Any ideas tips etc.... Thanks ahead of time

·
Banned
740 Posts
I would alternate the stack insert reed bar in there and pour the walls solid . A reinforced steel door with internal hinges . 5 cases of water , any medications normally taken , a first aid kit install a toilet , have a separate source of power set up with a land line phone . Of dcourse firearms and plenty of ammo , gas masks , water , canned food , energy bars , back up lighting and depending on the stay a fresh air supply .

·
Premium Member
8,653 Posts
I'm a renter, so I'm not going big. My office/3rd bdrm is in the middle of the house on the street side. I replaced the door with a solid wood door and added an extra hinge. Plus, it has a one-way dead bolt. The house has a brick exterior on a slope, which means a ladder has to be used to access the window. I also have a 5 ft. English Holly bush planted under the window. ;)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So for sep form of power, could I just keep a few like 4 or 5 car batteries charged? Quick switch over and now I can run a light and cb equipment,

·
Banned
740 Posts
Yea I'm sure that would work. Id put a lock on the fuse box in the garage or basement so no one could access it. For the top , you need to build it like a house . run steel beams across . Lemme ask you this . What happens if your upstairs (assuming this is a 2 story) and someone breaks in . How do you get to the basement ? Is there another room more centrally located that can be used ?

In Florida we have no basements so all the houses are built on a poured concrete slab ( BONUS ) so building a safe room is a breeze .

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im thinking more alone the lines of a riot in my area, I have an alarm, couple dogs so if some person breaks in they will meet a shotgun or 10mm pistol, now if its like mass riot thats when id use the panic room, mostly im going to use it as my man cave but have it double as a shelter

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
If your breaker/fuse box is in the basement and you build the room so it's inside, that would be even better. If not, and you're looking at a long stay, you might want to put in a generator somewhere, with the exhaust vented outside, or pull off your electric main and install a separate breaker box inside the room. Just make sure it's done right, either way. Two of the last three houses I've lived in had weird electric set ups, where someone had installed a second box. Not pretty.

·
Click Click Boom
45,268 Posts
I'd use bullet proof glass or concrete as a ceiling.

As the other person posted make sure those cinder blocks are poured solid.

·
Registered
287 Posts
What about a trap door in the ceiling of this room to get in thru from under his bed or something, with metal bars to hold a heavy wood door shut from the inside? This way if you cannot make it into the basement, you have a 2nd access/escape. I would hate to be trapped in there while someone is camped outside the only door...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gotta replan my location, I have a lot of duct work running where I wanted to put it, think im going to do cement top, been looking at out side ideas too, too bad I couldnt cut a door in my basement wall and have it connet that way

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
My buddy has a "safe" room for all of his guns, cuz there is a lot. It is a brick wall laid in some specific fashion with rbar and some kind of fabric in it. Then outside that wall is stainless steel, then over that is drywall to make it nice. The door is thick, like a bank vault door with no gaps and no visible hinges.

cost him a few thousand dollars.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts