Glock Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Safariland 7371-895 holster with my brand new Glock 42...left a couple of permanent bite marks on the top of the slide...more visible in person...now, some will say 'That's normal holster wear', but a properly designed holster shouldn't damage your pistol... :(

Bummed about my new Glock getting marked up so soon, and again, I know it won't stay perfect forever, but damn, I just got it, ya know?

Didn't expect this from a brand name like Safariland.

Netbook Communication Device Office equipment Bumper Automotive exterior

Helmet Automotive lighting Sleeve Automotive tire Automotive exterior

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
Safariland 7371-895 holster with my brand new Glock 42...left a couple of permanent bite marks on the top of the slide...more visible in person...now, some will say 'That's normal holster wear', but a properly designed holster shouldn't damage your pistol... :(

Bummed about my new Glock getting marked up so soon, and again, I know it won't stay perfect forever, but damn, I just got it, ya know?

View attachment 278975

View attachment 278976
any gun you want to keep pristine you shouldnt carry anyway.

After a few years itll look like this

not bad for about 2,000 times in and out of a kydex holster and carrying for 12-13 hours a day

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood Gun accessory

·
Glockin’ since 1993
50,262 Posts
Despite almost daily wearing of my 43 over years, it appears almost good as new. If you look at the finish in certain light you can see micro scratches and thinning of the original finish.
Kydex, plastic, leather and other materials really aren’t the cause of the wear it’s the daily grit, grime, dust and such that gets between the surfaces that are usually the culprit.
Weekly cleaning or wiping down your carry gun and holster interior should keep that wear to a minimum.
Camera lens Digital camera Camera accessory Reflex camera Metal

Hood Musical instrument accessory Automotive lighting Grille Keyboard

Wood Rectangle Font Tints and shades Auto part

·
Premium Member
14,913 Posts

View attachment 278975

View attachment 278976
I get the frustration. I think Danzig said above that leather, or especially leather lined holsters are the only way to avoid most holster wear. even with leather you’ll get wear eventually. I’ve noticed certain years of Glocks do better then others in kydex type holsters.

·
Premium Member
3,511 Posts
Glocks are just hammers. Tools that go bam! One of my early 2 pin G19's has a bit of wear, but functions just fine.

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood Gun accessory
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Revolver

30 years of USPSA competition, averaging about 20K per year, drawing from an original Blade Tech belt loop thick laminate holster. Slight wear on the extractor which I replaced at about 200K.

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal

Same gun, after milling the slide for a Docter dot. Slight wear on the slide and slide stop.

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Registered
878 Posts
Kydex, plastic, leather and other materials really aren’t the cause of the wear it’s the daily grit, grime, dust and such that gets between the surfaces that are usually the culprit.
Weekly cleaning or wiping down your carry gun and holster interior should keep that wear to a minimum.
Spot on.

Occasionally I notice the daily grit, grime, dust and cookie crumbs that are in the interior of my Kydex holster and I know it needs a wipe down too.

·
Registered
Glock 17. Easy on my arthritis
33 Posts

View attachment 278975

View attachment 278976
Ouch! I practice quickly drawing mine at the range. It's an indoor one and I'm friendly with the owner. Anyway. There's a nice set of wear and tear on my Glock and my holster. Better than getting out drawn. Thanks for sharing brother
any gun you want to keep pristine you shouldnt carry anyway.

After a few years itll look like this

not bad for about 2,000 times in and out of a kydex holster and carrying for 12-13 hours a day

View attachment 278980
In Texas we call that broken in. LoL

·
Registered
19 Posts
Everyone has their peculiarities about personal property and sometimes a manufacturer will continue to evolve a product until it causes personal annoyances to become obvious. I have used and carried Glocks since my first Gen 1 Model 17. I have used Safariland/Bianchi since their beginnings of mainstream use. Unless I was in a Federal Courthouse as a witness or post high jacking era flying, I am armed on my person. I have quite a number of long and sidearms with some being issued. Some are still in almost pristine conditions and others look like the life they have led rolling on pavement, vehicle crashes and just plain use. All that to say simply that you aren’t abnormal for getting PO’d that a holster marked your firearm. If it happens in the process of my duty hours, I accept that due to the unpredictable nature of law enforcement.

Safariland and Glock have made changes to finishes and materials over the decades. I have loved their Safari 7 polymer but in the last two years, the ALS locking system has changed and become abrasive. I have early 7k models that still leave no marks and other newer versions of the same models that will mark the current Gen 5 finishes in under 50 insertions and presentations. Safariland states it’s their same formula so it has to be Glock. Glock says their new finish is the best and toughest (even though we know bette). I had a new G17 MOS this year that was marked worse than yours before it made it to the range to qualifly. Carrying a Gen 3 G22 in the same holster and it hasn’t gotten a scratch in spite of safely carrying it for months with more than usual insertions and presentations deliberately.

In spite of the TLDR, more than politics and fashions have changed. Quality has a different meaning today than it did in 1978. We live in today though so no matter whether we agree or not, what happened to your new Glock is more accepted whether it’s the Glock finish or Safariland using a stronger but more abrasive ALS framework is irritating but is the new normal for such things. Don’t let it ruin your practice time nor enjoyment of your right to carry.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts