saddle scabbards

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by sgtglock, Mar 6, 2012.

1. sgtglock

sgtglock New Member

I do a little leather work on the side. I've thougt about coming up with a saddle scabbard for AR-15. If ya'll have any thoughts or ideas let me know. I've rode with a rifle slung across my back. Anything above a walk and it beats you to death!

2. ADulay

ADulay New Member

I actually have a recent need for a scabbard for a shotgun on the motorcycle.

As it's my primary transportation method and I open carry my sidearm on the bike, I've come up with a need for the shotgun and slinging it on my back in not the answer!

Something that allows you reasonably easy access to swinging your leg over the seat would be the primary concern. Access to the shotgun is secondary as it is being transported and there shouldn't be any reason to access it while riding.

Laying it across the aft area of the bike (seat or tour pack) generally won't work as the barrel and gun are just too large and overhang both sides of the saddlebags by a good amount.

If I'm forced into doing it the "WW 2 Army" way, I'll do it, but tossing that shotgun up on the front wheel/fork assembly is quick, but not the best way to do this I would think.

AD

3. sgtglock

sgtglock New Member

I'll have to study on this a little! I'm not into two wheels, four legs are more my style! Still, it's a challenge. A few questions. What kind of shotgun, short riot type or hunting shotgun? What kind of motorcycle? Does it have a windshield ? You mentioned saddlebags, how large and where do they attach to the bike? I was thinking straight up and down along the front forks. Give me some feedback

4. ADulay

ADulay New Member

Yes, the "straight up and down along the front forks" is what I called the WW2 style mount. You see that in the old WW2 Harley pictures where they are carrying a rifle on the bike. Mine's currently a BMW but the theory should be the same.

I"m still looking over the bike to see what would make a decent mounting area, even if it has to be on the front fork, and to see WHERE it could mount without too much "bracketry". (Is that a word?)

AD

5. sgtglock

sgtglock New Member

My wife is a teacher, she thinks "bracketry" is s word! Anyway, what model BMW do you have. I can try to locate one here to study. If you can post a pic that would be great.