Glock Firearms banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought two S&W 9mm pistols from a friend who needed some cash. Models 469, 59 they are both blued finish in good condition. I gave him $400 for both of them. Good deal? Pictures below borrowed from internet, but look just like them.

Model 59
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood Gun accessory

Model 469
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Airsoft gun

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I figured, but I kinda like them. Have you shot either model?

·
Load Bearing Wall
4,095 Posts
That's what I figured, but I kinda like them. Have you shot either model?

I've shot them, and their precursor, The Model 39 S&W. The first generation S&W Autos had some rocky patches. The original intent was to design an Auto to compete with the Browning Hi Power. But the Model 59 had issues. S&W did press releases early on, touting the Model 59 as a pistol they were developing for the Navy Seals. Things went back & forth for a time, and then without much advanced notice, The Navy abruptly announced they were no longer interested in any S&W Auto pistols for the Navy Seals. It was pretty much a PR disaster, because the public perceived the whole thing as a faulty design, mostly because of the Navy changing it's mind. And at the time, Law Enforcement was perfectly happy with their S&W & Colt revolvers, and if they did choose an auto, it was the tried & true 1911. So sales were mediocre at best.

They had mag problems early on. And were kind of touchy in regard to head spacing. Hand loader's that didn't watch the overall length were probably more to blame for the poor reputation than the weapon itself. They did get some limited miliatry & LE use, but not enough to create a ground swell in sales. And the Seals did adopt a silenced version of the 59 for a time, but somehow the story got started that they were using them to shoot guard dogs, and the public started calling the 59's "Hush Puppies". It doesn't take much to put the public off when new weapon designs come out. Aluminum frames in weapons were looked at suspiciously also.

Most people that bought & used the Model 469 liked them fine enough, but even though they did get quite a bit of LE usage, S&W never really put much effort into promoting them. They were pretty thick in the grip too, which some people complained about. But generally were seen as more accurate than the 59 model. But that was in the mid to late 80's, just about the time Glock made it's debut.

And we all know how that turned out.

·
Premium Member
13,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the extensive info, really appreciate it.

·
771 Posts
good deal!

I would say you did well overall...I recently purchased a 915 with 3 mags for $250...Fired very little, and in excellent condition, like NIB...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.