S&W M&P15 Tactical

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by glock19gen3, Jul 4, 2012.

1. glock19gen3

glock19gen3 New Member

Doing some research for my first AR and I keep coming back to the Smith and Wesson M&P15 tactical. My LGS has one for $949 and I just need some opinions. Any thoughts on the M&P AR or this model specifically? Huge thanks as always.

Caliber: 5.56 mm NATO
    Capacity: 30 Round Detachable Magazine
    Action: Semi-Auto
    Barrel Length: 16" / 40.6 cm
    Barrel Twist: 1 in 8" 5R Rifling
    Front Sight: Folding Magpul® (MBUS)
    Rear Sight: Folding Magpul® (MBUS)
    Overall Length: 35" Extended / 32" Collapsed
    Stock: 6-Position Telescopic
    Weight: 6.85 lbs. / 3,107.1 g
    Barrel Material: 4140 Steel
    Barrel Finish: Melonite®
    Receiver Material: 7075 T6 Aluminum
    Receiver Finish: Hard Coat Black Anodized
    Chromed Components: Bolt Carrier
    Gas Key

image-396857523.jpg

2. gen4_G21

gen4_G21 New Member

I had the sport and loved it!! Very accurate, light, I am going to be purchasing another before the end of the year. IMO great rifle!

3. Argyle64

Argyle64 New Member

I hope they've changed their rifles since 2008. When I went through Patrol Rifle School all 15 of the M&P 15's had malfunctions of some sort. One even had to be cycled after every shot. That deputy's rifle had to be sent back to S&W TWICE before they could get it running properly. Needless to say, I am not a fan.

4. akvs22

akvs22 New Member

I had a 15X and I loved it. Very accurate and reliable.

5. j102

j102 Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about the S&W MP-15.
    I own two ARs, one RRA and one Stag.
    They are both one of the best out there. The Stag is my favorite.
    Check the Stag Arms website and read about the Plus Package. It's $100 more but you get a top rifle.

6. akvs22

akvs22 New Member

RRA & Stag are both great rifles. I worked with someone that I believe had a lefty model of a Stag which was interesting, but I would never do. I always shot right hand configured firearms even though I'm a lefty. Many times there's no choice anyway so why mess with it.

7. Glocku

Glocku No warning shots here

I own a Daniel Defense M4v7 and I'm totally happy and satisfied with my rifle it is just a tad bit more expensive than that s&w but a much better rifle in my opinion. It was $1200 but well worth it. If I was you I would look at the Sig 556 they have it for $925 at my local Wal Mart and would serve you better than the s&w.

8. Argyle64

Argyle64 New Member

When I went through rifle school it was in the rain and mud and I didn't clean my RRA LAR-15 the entire three days. I had zero malfunctions as well as the two other RRA rifles.

9. dwcfastrice

dwcfastrice Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting Member

I'm a fan of RRA, Daniel Defense, Stag, and JP. The same JP that makes the muzzle brakes/recoil compensators.

D

10. Argyle64

Argyle64 New Member

JP, Stag, and Loki rifles are popular in the 3 Gun arena.

11. glock19gen3

glock19gen3 New Member

Thanks all, sounds like I need to shop around a bit more.

12. Webphisher

Webphisher Duct Tape, Alabama Chrome

Just bought a SIG556, freakin' love this thing. Worth every damn penny.

13. I have the Ruger SR556 and I like it a lot, but it isy first and only AR other than shooting Colts during my active duty days.