Glock Forum banner

S&W M&P Barrel in Glock

3K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  rbbeers 
#1 ·
I recently added a S&W M&P9C to my collection and one day while cleaning my firearms I noticed something interesting. The MP9C barrel fits and locks up inside of my Glock 23 Gen 3, with the Glock recoil spring. With my .40 cal mag, I was able to to cycle 9mm snap caps fine. The barrel is too short to protrude from the slide but it looks like it sits at a good angle so none of the 9mm rounds wouldn't interfere with the slide/barrel clearance. My question is would be possible with live fire? I don't have access to land so I can't really test this. Let me know what you guys think.

#2 ·
Lol. Why don't you find out for us?

I wouldn't even consider doing that to guns I don't own.

There's no reason I can fathom to even want to try. It's not like barrels are unavailable and we're in the middle of an apocalypse.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

#6 ·
Possible?

Maybe.

Advisable?

Absolutely not! no no

The muzzle cutout at 6 o'clock is one of the reference points for the barrel (shown here). In this picture (which is a G26 barrel in G19), note that the barrel points 'down'. The downward slant of the barrel is also confirmed by the barrel hood tab protruding above the slide as shown here.

With my particular barrel in my particular slide, it appears that the bullet may or may not clear the muzzle cutout of the slide... AND, since the barrel is too short to sit on the slide's muzzle cutout, the barrel is 'sitting' on the RSA. What will happen when the slide 'attempts' to cycle... I have no idea. :confused:

If you decide to 'test' your observation, I'd strongly recommend that, at a minimum, you be prepared to replace your pistol... and, at worst, be prepared to go to the nearest emergency room. :eek:

Best regards,

Bob :)

#7 ·
Possible?

Maybe.

Advisable?

Absolutely not! no no

The muzzle cutout at 6 o'clock is one of the reference points for the barrel (shown here). In this picture (which is a G26 barrel in G19), note that the barrel points 'down'. The downward slant of the barrel is also confirmed by the barrel hood tab protruding above the slide as shown here.

With my particular barrel in my particular slide, it appears that the bullet may or may not clear the muzzle cutout of the slide... AND, since the barrel is too short to sit on the slide's muzzle cutout, the barrel is 'sitting' on the RSA. What will happen when the slide 'attempts' to cycle... I have no idea. :confused:

If you decide to 'test' your observation, I'd strongly recommend that, at a minimum, you be prepared to replace your pistol... and, at worst, be prepared to go to the nearest emergency room. :eek:

Best regards,

Please listen to Bob.

Sent from my iPhone

#9 · (Edited)
The old S&W Sigma uppers would actually function on a Glock.
That may be... but an 'upper' implies an 'appropriate' barrel for the slide... NOT a barrel that's 'too short'. :rolleyes:

#11 ·
Possible?

Maybe.

Advisable?

Absolutely not! no no

Best regards,

Did no one read my whole post? I have no place to test it safely so that's why I came to the forum. Because it's a 9mm barrel in a Glock 23 it seems like it has more clearance and a better probability of functioning. It may not cycle depending on the recoil spring weight, maybe would with a Glock 19 spring. The barrel does not seem to be at a slant, as seen in the my photos.
The firing pin also seems to be centered nicely as well.

Attachments

#13 ·
Yes we all read your whole post. We're all telling you not to do it and that none of us would do it if we had the same parts as you. It might work. It might not. Why even risk anything? Curiosity for curiosity's sake?

There's a Sigma sitting in our armory that I could stick on one of our spare guns and try but I wouldn't even think to do it. I could even stick it in a vice and pull the trigger with a string from a safe distance but I won't.

#15 · (Edited)
Did no one read my whole post?
Yes, I did.

Because it's a 9mm barrel in a Glock 23 it seems like it has more clearance and a better probability of functioning.
The additional clearance is only about 0.008" (from the centerline).

It may not cycle depending on the recoil spring weight, maybe would with a Glock 19 spring.
This is not an issue. The G23 RSA will function just fine.

The barrel does not seem to be at a slant, as seen in the my photos.
Quite bluntly... then you don't know how to interpret the pictures you've posted.

This picture of yours very clearly shows that the barrel is pointing 'down'... just like my picture here.

And, note that the firing pin point in your picture is well ABOVE the muzzle's centerline (as shown here), further indicating that the barrel is pointing 'down'.

Accordingly, I refer you to my previous post.

To confirm that your barrel is pointing 'down, insert an 8" x 11/32' (0.344") wooden dowel rod into the muzzle of your 'creation'... such that the dowel rod abuts the breach face. I'm confident that you'll find that the dowel rod 'points down'.

Why?

Because I've already done that... and it does. ;)

Understanding how Glocks really work is a wonderful thing. :D

Best regards,

#19 · (Edited)
I think you would have problems with the end of the barrel being unsupported in the slide. I also hate to think what would happen with the recoil spring and barrel under full recoil.

I think it may work "ONCE".

OP: I've 'played around' a bit more with my G19.4 fitted with a G26 barrel and discovered that as I manually cycle the slide, it 'sticks' (sometimes... 'jams') at the beginning of the slide cycle. But, typically, I can force the slide past the sticking point.

So, what's happening?

Keep in mind that Glocks are a 'tilt barrel' design... and the barrel must tilt 'as intended' during the slide cycle for the pistol to function properly.

With my 'stuff' and to grayman's point, since the muzzle isn't supported by the slide, initially, the barrel tilts 'muzzle down' (instead of being parallel with the slide) and, since the barrel is too short, it doesn't tilt upward as it should at the beginning of the recoil phase of the slide cycle. So, the barrel hood sometimes sticks or jams in the ejection port.

Also, with a sufficient 'jerk', the muzzle of the barrel appears to slam upward against the underside of the slide before it exits the slide cutout.

Simply stated, it's necessary for the muzzle to be supported by the slide cutout, so that the barrel is properly positioned... and tilts correctly as the slide starts rearward.

All that being said, I don't have a S&W barrel to 'play with'. However, by my perception, with a 'too short' barrel in the slide, even if the bullet were to clear the slide cutout without damaging the pistol, in my opinion and to grayman's point, the likelihood that the pistol would be damaged as the slide cycles seems to be quite high.

It's been interesting... ;):thumbsup:

Hope this helps. :D

Best regards,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.