Glock Firearms banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got my last two guns I was curious to see what my gun shop to go to could get a S&W .500 in the hunter 10 inch barrel. Well he informed me the day I picked up my last two, that a guy was looking to sell his S&W .500 8 3/8 inch barrel cause he needs the money. He told me that the guy told him that "it was in like new condition with only a half of box of ammo threw it".

I told him if the guy sold it to him let me know and I will come look at it. At the time he couldn't give me a price cause him himself hasn't even set eyes on it. Well later that day when I was at work he left a messaged on my voice mail letting me know he has it if I wanted to come look at it. I called back an told him I will look at it on tuesday or wensday of this week.

Now I wasn't really in the market for S&W .500 till september but if I could get this at a good price I might jump on it. I am thinking about possibly getting this now and later on in the years trade it off for a 10 inch hunter .500 and pay the difference.

What would be the ball park rang on these guns used? What would be a steal price? I want to see if I can get it cheap as possible but without low balling him cause he has provided me with wonderful service so far. I know they go around a thousand new. If I do get it it will be my last firearm of the year cause this hobby is expensive to lol:p.

Thanks in advance for your input! You guys rule! lol

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
14,133 Posts
Real awesome firepower...but you got to ask yourself...

is awesome worth the punishing recoil, the cost of the ammo, the limited

places you'll be able to shoot it, the loss you'll take reselling it ( as the original owner found out )

Just saying...

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm looking at it more as a "collector" piece for now cause I really want the 10 inch version. That way down the road I can trade it off and pay the difference on the one I want. An the 10 inch one will still be more as a "collector" piece. I'm 29 so I don't think the recoil will hurt me yet lol.

That's why I wouldn't mine paying $2.50 a round cause it will be barely shot. I like hand canons and the power they have. That's why I want to negotiate with him to get it as cheap as I can. That's why I said it will be the last firearm of the year lol.

The life time warranty on S&W firearms is all ways a nice selling point.

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
14,133 Posts
OK then...I tried to talk you out of it !!

So, having said that...I too like the big thunder boomers !!

I bought a 6" S&W Model 19 .357 magnum for my very first gun,

then bought a 3" S&W Model 13 .357 magnum for my second gun,

then bought a 4" S&W Model 629 .44 magnum a little down the road.

Post some pics when you pick her up...and good luck !!

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK then...I tried to talk you out of it !! .....
Lol yes you did.

An you know there will be pics........if I can get it at a good price. Which would be?

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So around $750 without ammo. I can do without ammo for now cause its not like its for home protection:p. Thanks shooter for the knowledge. I'll see what I can do this tuesday or wensday. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
14,133 Posts
Well if the new ones go for around $1000...and the guy at the shop

says $850...I would low ball it at $700, and let him haggle back & forth

until you get it for $750-775.00. The shop will make money no matter what,

because if it's on consignment, they are guaranteed a percentage of the sale.

Just don't give in at the first quote...take cash if you can, that way you can

say...look, I want it, but only have this much...then tell him to call the owner

to see if he'll bite...if the gun shop has proxy, and you do business with him alot,

it should be a done deal. Credit cards spoil the wheelin' and dealin'...always take cash

and put what you want to spend in one, and an extra hundred in the other.

I own alot of firearms...and never paid retail or the first number thrown at me !!

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
.... Credit cards spoil the wheelin' and dealin'...always take cash.......
That sucks you would say that cause that is what I was looking to put this on. I have used it for all the other firearms purchases. I've never been that comfortable carrying that much loose cash on me.

·
Are we there yet?
784 Posts
Yeah, $750 would be highway robbery. They're selling regularly at $1250 around here, my brother picked up the 8 3/8 model for just over $1000, but that's new-in-box.

Don't let these guys give you grief about the recoil. My .357 LCR has a more punishing kick, at least compared to the "little" 300 grain bullets my brother has been loading. Of course, people are also cramming 700 grain bullets in these cartridges and pushing them out at 1300fps...

As for range... if you start looking up reload recipes, you'll come across some old-time reloaders who claim to have scored 50 hits in a row on a washing machine at 700 yards out of a scoped, 8 3/8" model. I've not fired the gun enough to give you a good effective range, but I will say this: It can push them out there.

If you pick up the dies, they're easy to reload, which brings the cost down from "exorbitant" to the high side of "affordable".

Personally, I'd probably go with the .460 XVR instead of the .500, because the former will shoot .460 S&W .454 Casull, and .45 Long Colt, where the latter is limited to expensive .500 S&W brass.

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Didn't mean to spoil it...but it's the truth.
An that's what I came here for. :)

He can get the S&W Hunter 10 inch barrel brand new for a little over $1,300. An I have seen them for mostly around $1,500 to 1,700 on the internet. So the 8 3/8 is a little cheaper so I'm hoping that it will be around $700 to $800 just for the firearm. No ammo or case. Maybe that's wishful thinking. I have bought 5 firearms with in 4 months threw him (small ma an pa shop) so hopefully I can get a deal.

I got a day or two before I go see it for the first time, so keep the info coming guys.

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I got lucky an got off work early today so I decided to go see the .500. an I must say WOW what a BEAUTIFUL revolver. It had my name written all over it. I was surprised that it didn't weight that much but then again I am use to a desert eagle weight so that might be why. So, so, so beautiful lol. The front sights lined up with the rear sights beautifully. What an awesome firearm.

Here's the damage:

It is a S&W .500 8 3/8 inch barrel, case and everything that came from the factory (even the test rounds from the factory) 4 rounds plus what they put threw it at the factory have been fired threw it. He said he will sell it to me for $1,000. He said he has two other guys interested in it but not for sure if they will come threw. I told him that I really, really, want it but can't get it right now at that price. The guys receipt was in the case and he bought it for a little over $1,200 new.

So yea no .500 for me yet:(:(. Even if you guys can't afford one, at least get the chance to hold one. It will put a smile from ear to ear on you. :)

·
Are we there yet?
784 Posts
Well I got lucky an got off work early today so I decided to go see the .500. an I must say WOW what a BEAUTIFUL revolver. It had my name written all over it. I was surprised that it didn't weight that much but then again I am use to a desert eagle weight so that might be why. So, so, so beautiful lol. The front sights lined up with the rear sights beautifully. What an awesome firearm.

Here's the damage:

It is a S&W .500 8 3/8 inch barrel, case and everything that came from the factory (even the test rounds from the factory) 4 rounds plus what they put threw it at the factory have been fired threw it. He said he will sell it to me for $1,000. He said he has two other guys interested in it but not for sure if they will come threw. I told him that I really, really, want it but can't get it right now at that price. The guys receipt was in the case and he bought it for a little over $1,200 new.

So yea no .500 for me yet:(:(. Even if you guys can't afford one, at least get the chance to hold one. It will put a smile from ear to ear on you. :)
I'm telling you, take a look at the .460XVR. Being able to shoot .45 Colt, it's going to be a heck of a lot cheaper to play with. .460S&W is currently the highest velocity revolver cartridge on the market.

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I appreciate the info rivalarrival but its going to be hard to find a range that is even going to let me shoot the .500 let a lone all the rounds the .460XVR shoot. The place that will let me shoot my .50ae wont go any higher then that, http://www.gatguns.com/range.htm

Even tho they let us have our hand canons here in Illinois, they still make it kind of difficult for use to shoot them off safely. Unless you have your own land, which I do not. That's why I am thinking maybe picking up hunting with the hand canons.

·
Are we there yet?
784 Posts
I appreciate the info rivalarrival but its going to be hard to find a range that is even going to let me shoot the .500 let a lone all the rounds the .460XVR shoot. The place that will let me shoot my .50ae wont go any higher then that, http://www.gatguns.com/range.htm

Even tho they let us have our hand canons here in Illinois, they still make it kind of difficult for use to shoot them off safely. Unless you have your own land, which I do not. That's why I am thinking maybe picking up hunting with the hand canons.
That range allows .45LC, even in rifles, which the 460 will shoot.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts