S & W 22a

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by mark22, Mar 24, 2012.

1. mark22

mark22 New Member

I have a G19 & G22 and picked up a S & W 22A to take to the range to cut ammo costs. It's no Glock, but getting better. Does anyone have any experience with this gun? I have had a lot of misfires and jams with CCI Minimags.

2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Yes...I had one way back in the day...real nice gun,

but VERY picky with ammo. Don't remember what it finally liked.

I traded it in for a Browning Buckmark...and never looked back.

But I'm sure you'll be fine...I find myself using Eley .22's now.

...and Welcome to the Glock Forum !!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012

3. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

I have one. I've run Remington, Blazer and something else I don't remember through it with no problems. It's been a good gun. I don't shoot it much, mostly because I hate the all black sights and haven't been able to find an alternative other than mounting an optic, which I'm not going to do.

4. I enjoy my 22A, I've never had a problem feeding the bulk crap through it... A few ftfs, but I attribute that to the cheap bulk ammo.

5. TXGlock19

TXGlock19 New Member

Hey Mark 22 - I also bought a S&W 22A - I was also having trouble with the ammo loading as I stated in a previous thread. Going to buy some better ammo or just get rid of It. I has a Ruger Mark III and liked it a lot.

6. rivalarrival

rivalarrival Are we there yet?

I haven't had any major problems with CCI Blazer in my 22A. Every .22 autoloader I've ever shot has been somewhat finicky with ammunition, more so than any other rifle, pistol, or shotgun I've encountered.

7. mark22

mark22 New Member

Thanks for the replies. I was aware of the potential issues with the .22's, but I guess it's hit or miss. I was hoping it would be as reliable as my Glocks. You get what you pay for.

8. justa22

justa22 New Member

Broke mine in with CCI Stinger ammo, shot great, went to mini mags because they are cheaper, shoots great, no FTF or FTE, love the little gun, has the fiber optic fron sight from Smith, great for my old eyes.

9. I have one of the first ones made. It will eat almost anything. For the first few mags, put a drop of oil on the nose of the first round, it will help on the break in.

10. rivalarrival

rivalarrival Are we there yet?

Hmmm... Don't like the existing iron sights; don't want to put optics on it... What to do, what to do...

How about this:
    ForumRunner_20120327_214807.jpg

(FTR, this was just for laughs... This 22A normally has a dinky 2X pistol scope on it...)

11. cvitter

cvitter New Member

I had a 22A-1 for about 2 months (just traded it in last week when I got my Glock G34) and put about 2000 rounds through it. I had good luck with ammunition. CCI Mini Mags and Federal bulk cycled well. Remington Target however was hellishly bad with 1 in 5 roughly not firing (clear strike marks on the cases in every case). I wouldn't buy Remington 22 ammo again for any of my guns.

Overall the 22A-1 isn't a bad gun. Its no Glock when it comes to reliability or ease of maintenance but it shoots really nicely and is reasonably priced. I traded it because I decided I had more fun with my 22 LR rifle and my 9mm Glocks.

12. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

Well, I do have a set of Magpul sights I haven't installed yet... :D

I think I can install certain S&W revolver front sights on it, with different color ramp, which would solve that problem. I just don't know if I want to put any money in it.

13. mark22

mark22 New Member

I took it to the range one more time before returning it to S&W to check, and the problem seems to be isolated to one of the mags. One worked flawlessly for over 100 rounds, while the other one had issues 4 out of 5 times. When it works, it's a nice plinker.

14. mark22

mark22 New Member

I do agree that the sights suck and I would like to replace them.