Glock Firearms banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody use the Galco Small of the Back holster?
If so any pics of used or any other brands of this type of holster?
Thanks

·
Certified Glock Armorer
4,715 Posts
ctc123 said:
Does anybody use the Galco Small of the Back holster?
If so any pics of used or any other brands of this type of holster?
Thanks
I use this left hand DeSants IWB "deep tuck ?" for small of back with my G26 and extra mag. I am right handed, but by using a left hand holster in this way it positions the weapon for a right hand draw. Hides the weapon fairly good in a t-shirt unless I bend over.

Cap Headgear Personal protective equipment Auto part Baseball cap

Auto part Personal protective equipment Automotive exterior Fashion accessory Wood

Attachments

·
13 Posts
I use a DeSantis N87, also left handed, to draw right handed from the small of my back. Once you get accustomed to using it, even sitting is comfortable.

Cost about $30.

Karl

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
SOB carry is not a great idea for daily carry. If the gun is directly over your spine and you have even a slip & fall that causes you to land on it, it can increase the amount of damage done. Back about 20 years ago, many police officers carried their handcuffs dead center on their spine, because they could reach them with both hands. Back injuries occurred and many depts issued policies requiring that they be placed anywhere else on the belt. If something as small as a handcuff case, mounted on a large, stiff, leather belt, can cause damage, imagine what a gun can do. And I can tell you from personal experience that spine damage at waist level is a very bad thing.

·
13 Posts
Thanks for the information. I have heard of LEOs getting in fights with a backup weapon placed there and having spine injuries after being shoved into a wall or to the ground.

I don't carry that way much but actually, I have back problems and the extra bump in the lumbar feels good to me even when I sit.

Karl

·
1,612 Posts
But what are the odds you will fall flat on your back? Probably less then having to draw your weapon. No telling.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I suppose that depends on where you go and what you do. I've been down a few times over the years, in various situations, and I've ended up flat on my back a couple of times. I've also had a number of close calls on wet or greasy floors that could've put me there. A spill on the floor of a grocery store that hasn't been marked or cleaned up yet is all it may take.

If I'm going to end up down, I'd rather flat on my back than on a shoulder, elbow, wrist, down stairs, or face down. I've done all of those and flat on my back is the only one that didn't lead to at least a sprain.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I Personally know several COPS who were medically retired due to landing on Cuffs! I would not recomend putting anything hard near the spine. Not just over it but also right beside the spine (One Friend had hers beside the spine not over it and she has "Permanent Nerve Damage in her spine. Can no longer ride horses which was her first love!

SOB carry is not a great idea for daily carry. If the gun is directly over your spine and you have even a slip & fall that causes you to land on it, it can increase the amount of damage done. Back about 20 years ago, many police officers carried their handcuffs dead center on their spine, because they could reach them with both hands. Back injuries occurred and many depts issued policies requiring that they be placed anywhere else on the belt. If something as small as a handcuff case, mounted on a large, stiff, leather belt, can cause damage, imagine what a gun can do. And I can tell you from personal experience that spine damage at waist level is a very bad thing.

·
1,612 Posts
I suppose that depends on where you go and what you do. I've been down a few times over the years, in various situations, and I've ended up flat on my back a couple of times. I've also had a number of close calls on wet or greasy floors that could've put me there. A spill on the floor of a grocery store that hasn't been marked or cleaned up yet is all it may take.

If I'm going to end up down, I'd rather flat on my back than on a shoulder, elbow, wrist, down stairs, or face down. I've done all of those and flat on my back is the only one that didn't lead to at least a sprain.
True. I have landed flat on my back three times in 44 years. I try to roll to a shoulder to minimize the impact, if I am able, but...

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
Not one to say what to do or not to do, but small of back carry is risking permanent injury. Do what works for you though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts