Russian 45 ammo

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by savage07, Jul 1, 2012.

1. savage07

savage07 New Member

I went to Walmart the other day and the only 45 ammo the had was the Russian hard steal case on a really good price. How do you guys recommend this ammo to use by a Glock for range use?

2. dwcfastrice

dwcfastrice Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting Member

Can't speak to the .45, but i've used the Russian 9mm in my LWD barrel and it does NOT like it at all. FTE's or stovepipes every 8 rounds or so. Good cheap alternative for practice clearing the weapon.

D

3. brutusvk

brutusvk New Member

never had an issue with it in my 1911.

4. savage07

savage07 New Member

What do you mean by stovepipe every 8 round? Is it like your gun gets to hat every 8 rounds, and if so, is that an issue?

5. savage07

savage07 New Member

I guess my main concern is if my gun doesn't jam or malfunction, is it ok to keep using this ammo with out damaging any parts of my pistol?

6. dwcfastrice

Sorry, I meant a "stovepipe" jam. That's where the case doesnt eject fully and sticks out of the chamber at a right angle, stuck. It looks like a stovepipe, hence the name.

Gun doesn't get hot, Russian ammo is still standard commercial loads. It's just usually FMJ with lacquer coated Steel cases, so it's cheaper to produce.

It's like asking if Miller light is better than Bud light. Many will tell you they have never had an issue (as long as the ammo is jacket ammo and not plain lead; Glock barrel groves don't like plain lead) and shoot Russian ammo all the time. Others will tell you they NEVER shoot Russian/steel cases ammo. I'll never use Russian ammo as carry ammo (because of the stovepipe issue), but for practice, I think it's just fine.

D

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  7. savage07

savage07 New Member

Sorry about my ignorance about this topic and thank you for the explanation. I understand now. That's good to know that for practice it's ok to use this ammo since its inexpensive, I would not use this ammo for carry neither.

8. dwcfastrice

No worries man, don't ever apologize about not knowing gun stuff. We're all learning new stuff on here and it's good you asked. Better to ask than remain uninformed.

:)

D

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  9. BocaDan

BocaDan New Member

Can't tell for the 45 but the 9mm TulAmmo works flawlessly in my Gen4 G34. I usually go through about 150 rounds of this at every range session and not even one problem. Then again I've had zero problems with federal, cci, pmc & Remington as well.

10. glocknloaded

glocknloaded Click Click Boom Supporter

Well it is a Glock.... ;)

11. Argyle64

Argyle64 New Member

This exactly. It's a Glock. It will eat up the Tulammo all day long and be perfectly fine to shoot in your Glock.

12. savage07

savage07 New Member

This is one of the reason why I choose Glock out of all different type of guns we have out there. :)