Ruger AR-556

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by AR-556, Jun 15, 2020.

1. AR-556

AR-556 !3M TA3 Supporter

I had built 7 AR-15's prior to buying my AR-556. I caught them (Model 8500) on sale for $449 plus FREE shipping at GRAB A GUN 4 years ago in July. HELL, who could pass up a deal like that? Not me! So, I ordered 2 of them, one for me and one for my son. I changed a few things and added a few things, to my liking.
    I was looking around on GAG earlier and saw that the Ruger AR-556 was $699! HOLY SH**! Just a year ago it was $479. It looks as if panic buying has hit the AR market as well.
    In about 6 months I feel the AR market will be flooded with panic buyers wanting to sell their panic bought AR's. That will be the right time to buy another one, used, for a great price!

mattm, Olga17, helitack32f1 and 3 others like this.
  2. Danzig

Danzig I do hood rat sh%t! Supporter

Texas
    I think some retailers are trying to drive up prices on AR-15s to profit off the new gun buyers entering the market.
    I still don’t see anywhere near a shortage on AR platform guns.
    Same with ammo. There’s no shortage but prices are higher across the board.

3. John in AR

John in AR Well-Known Member Supporter

I was surprised Saturday when my BIL and I went to Cabela’s, Dick’s, and Academy in the Friendswood/League City area outside of Houston that there was literally zero 9x19 ammo on the shelves except CCI shot loads. I was thinking of picking up some more 9mm HST while I was visiting the city and had all these wonderful shopping choices, but all three stores were the same story regarding handgun ammunition; they had a small amount of some less-popular calibers including 41 magnum, 44-40, and even a couple boxes of 9x18 in one case. But not a single box of 9x19 of any flavor at any of them.

It wasn’t only ammo, so maybe it’s partly a supply-chain thing rather than solely a panic-buying thing. At Academy, the fishing lure section was probably 70% empty and the big bicycle display wall had (I think) two bikes left.

AR-556 and Danzig like this.
  4. Southlake

Southlake Island Life Staff Member Moderator Lifetime Supporting Member

Unless the 3-headed monster of Biden, Pelosi & Schumer get into power.

Silver-Bolt and Danzig like this.
  5. AR-556

AR-556 !3M TA3 Supporter

I don't think that's going to happen.

helitack32f1 and Bayou like this.
  6. CaptJH

CaptJH Member

Florida
    I have three Daniel Defense and two Colts (M16 & AR15), and they are outstanding. I have numerous Palmetto State Armory lowers and uppers, in 9mm, 5.56, & 300 Blackout, and they all have performed flawlessly, even in full auto with the M16 lower. PSA prices are still very exceptional and their stuff works every time. What more can you ask of a fairly priced AR?

7. Scooter91

Scooter91 Member

Arizona
    Several years ago when a local Walmart was getting rid of the evil black rifles, I was working out of town and walked into the sporting goods section and they had two Colt LE6920 M4's on sale for $599 bought both and one has stayed in the box stashed away. Great rifles, added to my other Colt, Ruger and Palminto AR's. Even have the Colt/Walther .22 caliber AR that the grandkids totally enjoy.

NQNPIII, Bayou, AR-556 and 2 others like this.
  8. Bayou

Bayou Well-Known Member

The Ruger AR556 is a darn good value. My son has one in FDE and it has been a great gun. We really enjoy our Ruger vs. Windham shooting contests.

miniman and AR-556 like this.
  9. NQNPIII

NQNPIII Well-Known Member

For now, and maybe forever the "good old days" of the AR15 are over. Even if Trump gets re-elected the streets are going to get more violent. If you are on the fence get off your wallet. They aren't hard to build either. I have one of these at home, and another in the mail. Chrome lined not hammer forged. https://www.deltateamtactical.com/A...To-Exact-Military-Specifications_p_13860.html Delta TT sells a lot of cheap quality kits, and uppers. This barrel isn't. If you go and attach this to a rifle stock the muzzle device will have to be pinned, and welded. If not build it into a pistol. I like the length. Already have a FN barreled PSA 14.7".

Lots of companies out there selling non nitrided barrels. You can find floating barrel nitride uppers without BCG's and charging handles sub $250 shipped.

It isn't rocket science assembling the AR.

Bayou, miniman, AR-556 and 2 others like this.
  10. AR-556

AR-556 !3M TA3 Supporter

NQ, what's your opinion on barrels that are not chrome lined and not Nitrude coated? My AR-556 is the only AR in my collection that has a barrel like this. IMO, as long as you keep it cleaned and oiled you should never have any problems with it.

miniman and Danzig like this.
  11. John in AR

John in AR Well-Known Member Supporter

One of my brothers asked me about buying an AR for the first time a couple days ago. Since I've been divesting stuff lately, seems like a great time to make him a killer deal on one of mine.

Bayou, NQNPIII, AR-556 and 3 others like this.
  12. NQNPIII

I never got this notification. I have 1 that isn't nitride or chrome lined. IIRC the AR5.56 has a hammer forged barrel. After cleaning I would do a clean oil patch with Motorkote. Shake well! Do it really heavy so it gets into every nook and cranny. Then clean the excess the next day. I wipe down my phosphate coated barrel exteriors with it. I don't us Motorkote in my engines. I use it on guns. Supposed to slow down the round a little, yet a slight increase in accuracy(?) I have no idea!

Let it sit. I do the exteriors of the uppers and lowers too. Nice semi gloss to it. I just wipe it on and right off on the forgings.

Here's a weird test on an engine.

Danzig likes this.
  13. NQNPIII

Don't do many mag dumps with magnetic projectiles!

14. Danzig

Texas
    Now I need to find that jug of MotorKote and put some in my Harley!

NQNPIII likes this.
  15. NQNPIII

Walmart on the back shelf by the Marvel Mystery Oil.

Danzig likes this.
  16. Danzig

Texas
    Actually won a MotorKote prize package answering a trivia question on Red Eye radio a number of years back.

Bayou and NQNPIII like this.
  17. AR-556

AR-556 !3M TA3 Supporter

I was looking around on GAG earlier tonight and the AR556 and Sport II are now $799! W T F!!!!!!!!
    https://grabagun.com/firearms/rifle...56-black-ar-15-223-5-56mm-16-1-inch-30rd.html
    https://grabagun.com/firearms/rifles/ar-15-rifles-ar-10-
    ak47/smith-and-wesson-mp15-sport-ii-5-56mm-16.html

18. Danzig

Texas
    It’s 2012 all over again.

AR-556 likes this.
  19. AR-556

AR-556 !3M TA3 Supporter

Yeah it is.
    $100 mark up in one month! S O B!
    And, foolish people are buying them! :eek:

Danzig likes this.
  20. Bayou

Bayou Well-Known Member

Glad I finally got my Windham AR when I did. It has been a fun gun to shoot. It’ll be getting a lot more use now that I won’t be watching the Astros anymore.