Ruger 10/22 gearheads, help me out...

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by GunnerGSP, Jun 12, 2012.

1. GunnerGSP

GunnerGSP Active Member

Ok. I just recently got a Ruger 10/22 for my son's and I to shoot for fun and to spend some time together at the range.

I am fine with it as-is right now, but someday want to tinker with it.

In particular, I want to swap out the stock as well as install a bull barrel. However, I don't want to spend a king's ransom to do it.

Any suggestions on barrels/stocks at a reasonable cost?

2. I can't help ya with the barrel question, but take a look at the Arch Angel kit. It'll make your 10/22 look like a AR-15! Not to pricey either. I haven't bought one for my son's gun yet. His has the black polymer stock, stainless barrel, scope, bipod and a 25 shot mag! Looks pretty cool like it is! Hope this helped!

3. GunnerGSP

GunnerGSP Active Member

Will take a look. Sounds cool. But I sure like the look of that bull barrel.

4. Tape

Tape New Member

shaw barrel, tapco stock

Attached Files:

5. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

What type of stock are you thinking? synthetic, wood, classic, tacticool?
    Bull barrels are not going to be cheap, stocks are cheap but the most widely available ones don't fit bull barrels.

I'd suggest checking gunbroker.com and ebay for take off barrels and stocks......tons of them out there because everyone loves to customize their 10/22

You may be better off just trading for a factory bull barrel 10/22

6. GunnerGSP

GunnerGSP Active Member

Prior to starting this post, I was looking at a Hogue rifle stock and the Shaw barrel mentioned above seemed like a good price.

I am also going to check on glocker73's recommendation as well.

Honestly, I never had the itch to mod the 10/22 until after I got it. So I never looked at prices for the Ruger factory tactical 10/22.

7. Those 10/22's are so fun to shoot! I like shooting my son's as much as my G26....when he lets me!!!!!l Lol!!

8. GunnerGSP

GunnerGSP Active Member

And much easier on the wallet than .40SW

9. I too am looking at, down the road, replacing my wood stock with something lighter. Not sure that I'll go tactical, just lighter. But my 10-22 came with a cheap Cabelas 3X9 scope and regular barrel and I can almost stay inside an inch with sandbags at 50 yards using mini mags, and inside 2 inches using cheap Federal bulk ammo. I can about double those groups (2 and 4 inches respectively) at 100 yards.

Not sure what the advantage is for a bull barrel...how far are you .22 snipers shooting?

10. GunnerGSP

GunnerGSP Active Member

If for nothing else, the bull barrel just looks sweet!

11. bhale187

Bull barrels on 10/22s are mostly just for looks. If you put alot of rounds down the barrel quickly it will heat up and the bull barrel will hold accuracy a little better in that case, but its going to be a minimal difference.

On 10/22s the most accuracy you can pick up is from a bedded or free float barrel and a match trigger, the bull barrel is just going to keep it cooler longer.

Back to the OP, theres so much out there for the 10/22s, the sky is the limit. Anything you want to do to one you can do it with enough $$. Shaw barrels are probably the best value.

Heres a couple bull barrel auctions at good prices
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ruger-10-22...098?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a1ebfb2f2

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-22-20-bl...385?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a1ea14ae9

12. GunnerGSP

GunnerGSP Active Member

Nice. Thanks bhale...

13. GunnerGSP

GunnerGSP Active Member

So, if I do this, I am basically running an aftermarket barrel, an aftermarket stock, and a Ruger receiver, right?

Not much "Ruger" left over, eh?

14. bhale187

nope, not much ruger left, but that's not uncommon with 10/22s. If you are concerned with too much aftermarket you can always just get a Ruger factory bull barrel rifle

15. sglide05

sglide05 Very Cool Member Supporter

[​IMG]

This is what my 10/22 looks like. The scope was $49.99 and the stock was $100 made by ATI. I kept the stock barrel.

16. 66Goat389

66Goat389 New Member

17. Nice setup.

18. Danzig

Danzig I do hood rat sh%t! Supporter

Texas
    Satan called, he wants his 10/22 back.

That thing is evil!

19. 66Goat389

66Goat389 New Member

It is a fun one.... Accurate and compact.... I built it for my wife but it seems I use it more often. Thanks evil black firearm is exactly what I was going for.....