Glock Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. So in the "AD at home" thread i had alluded to a round detonation that had happened to me a few weeks go. Here are the details.

I went to the local range. Pulled out my G23 Gen 4 loaded with Hornady Critical Defense Rounds, with one in the Chamber. I placed the pistol on the bench, setup my targets, picked up the pistol, pulled the trigger and BOOOOOM! Flame comes out where the chamber/barrel/slide meet. The gun gives me a stinger and nearly jumps out of my hand. The magazine goes shooting out of the bottom of the pistol (out into the range) with unfired rounds spraying everywhere....

I grabbed a broom and retrieved the mag, or what was left of it:

Needless to say, I was shaking and all jacked up. I had to stop, breathe, clear the weapon, check for obstructions, checked the slide, barrel, frame etc. Nothing appeared damaged. Loaded 2 rounds in another mag and sent some lead down range. Things appeared to be working so I loaded up my complete mags and proceeded to finish out my range session.

Had the range's (shop's) GLock armorer check over the pistol when I was done and he said everything looked good. Showed him the mag and his jaw dropped. He's never seen or heard of anything like this. His and my only thought was that I got some kind of bad round. Mind you, Critical Defense is my carry ammo of choice. I shoot a least 200 rounds of it a month.

Kudos to glock for the design of the pistol. I'm grateful/fortunate, that the force blew the mag out of the bottom of the pistol vs the mag staying in place and having who knows what else blow off the pistol. The fact that this pistol has gone through this and i've still managed to put at least 600 rounds through it since then says a lot about the design and the quality of the pistol.

Analyze it all you want. Just keep in mind, the bore/barrel was NOT obstructed as far as I know. I had just fired the day before and put the gun in the Fobus Holster (which has a barrel "plug" that keeps things out of the barrel). I had checked the barrel after the last range session to see if it needed cleaning. It's just a thing I do after each session, I yank the barrel to see if there are any deposits, etc. So I know without a shadow of a doubt there was no obstruction.

Anyway, thought I'd share. FYI, Hornady Critical Defense is STILL my ammo of choice. Shoot long enough and you're going to get a crazy thing like this happen to you.

D

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
HOLY **** DUDE! I'm glad you are alright, that is INSANE. I would call them and forward the story and pictures along do they can at least be aware. How long had the ammo been sitting?

I'm guessing mayb it was not the ammo at all. Perhaps when the mag cycled there was some sort of spark? Was there a second spent casing, or just the one from the chamber?

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
That's crazy Dude!! I think I will from here on in remove my mags and reinsert just in case before ever shooting! I will be VERY interested to find out the cause.

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
If you look closely at the round # 7 in that mag, there seems to be dark powder burns and a collapse of the material, similar to someone shooting that mag at close range, rather than an explosion. It just doesn't make sense to me.

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
HOLY **** DUDE! I'm glad you are alright, that is INSANE. I would call them and forward the story and pictures along do they can at least be aware. How long had the ammo been sitting?

I'm guessing mayb it was not the ammo at all. Perhaps when the mag cycled there was some sort of spark? Was there a second spent casing, or just the one from the chamber?
I thought about that. I still might send a letter and a pic to Hornady.

I bought the rounds from my LGS and they turn over ammo pretty quickly. That's not to say their distributor hadn't been sitting on that particular box for a while. The box got thrown away right after I loaded the mags so no lot numbers available.

I was only able to recover 6 rounds out of the full mag. A few of those rounds had dents and gouges. The mag and the un-fired rounds (with the exception of one) had flown out into the firing lane where there was tons of spent brass, etc. It was a live range, so not much I could do to dig through the spent brass in the lane to find a possible shredded 2nd or 3rd casing. I wasn't really thinking of recovering stuff at the time. I was still replaying the "Explosion" in my head. The rounds that had dents and scrapes went into the "misfires" bucket. The ones that looked ok were fired and went off without a hitch.

I've since tossed the mag, but it kind of gives me goose bumps each time I see that picture. On a side note, this was my FIRST painted mag (with glow in the dark paint). As you can see, the paint DOES NOT hold up to a round detonation. :D

D

·
Registered
547 Posts
WOW, I'm glad that you are OK. I guess a back up pair of shorts in the range bag is a good idea now.

Good idea on having the gun checked out, I don't think I could have fired it without checking it out first. Really interested in finding out what happened to cause this as I carry a G-22 loaded with Hornady CD. Going to look at my ammo right now.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm looking over all my mags and rounds now, just in case.

That's a scary experience and glad your ok! Thank you for passing it on. I, for one, will be much more mindful of not only my muzzle direction, but of my magazines and ammo from here on out.

If you contact Hornady and Glock please let us know what they say about the incident.

·
Registered
106 Posts
A buddy of mine, a couple of months ago, at my home range, had his Gen 4 G22 do the same thing. The LGS said that it is because of,
1. firing out of battery
2. higher chamber pressures of the 40

They took the gun back and he bought a XD...... Sad moment for me. But he was not injured, which was the most important thing, since he was at my range.

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
I would tend to agree with Zipper....flames shooting out the rear of the chamber usually indicate a detonation with the slide out of battery.

Just tossing this out, but could a prior obstruction have been the culprit? That could cause catastrophic overpressure into the chamber and against the bolt face, resulting in a KaBOOM!

Other things (though not as likely with factory ammo) could be an out of spec case (too long OAL or too long a case length) causing the slide to be minutely out of battery when firing....or (possible even with factory ammo) an overcharged round.

I tend to lean towards either an overcharged round or an obstruction from previous shooting session. Was it holstered to the range or was it in a range bag?

But, WOW, still incredible. I would contact both Hornady and Glock about this. Make sure you have the name of the guy at the range who inspected it.

Keep us updated, will you?

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Possibly fired when out of battery? Flames shot out where slide and barrel hood meet?
Out of battery? not sure.
Pistol was in C1 as I normally carry. Could the round have not been seated in the chamber 100%?

When I'm done practicing and switch back to my carry mag, I tap the mag to make sure the rounds are all seated back. Seat the mag and make sure it's locked in place. Then, I "charge" the weapon by releasing the slide lock lever and let the slide and spring do the work. I don't do the grab the slide and release thing (just never learned to do it that way).

Yes, flames where hood and barrel meet. No idea if flames came out the front (couldn't see).

now that you mention it, the more I think about it, the more I think this could be a possibility.

thx
D

·
Boost Rules
278 Posts
It sounds to me like an out of battery situation that caused the damage. IMO, if there was a major obstruction, I would think there would be more damage than just the magazine.

I have no reason to doubt the OP about his procedure, care, and maintenace of the firearm and ammo used

Maybe it was just a poorly manufactured case with a defect....."a perfect storm scenario"

·
Glockn Rollin
2,656 Posts
dwcfastrice said:
Out of battery? not sure.
Pistol was in C1 as I normally carry. Could the round have not been seated in the chamber 100%?

When I'm done practicing and switch back to my carry mag, I tap the mag to make sure the rounds are all seated back. Seat the mag and make sure it's locked in place. Then, I "charge" the weapon by releasing the slide lock lever and let the slide and spring do the work. I don't do the grab the slide and release thing (just never learned to do it that way).

Yes, flames where hood and barrel meet. No idea if flames came out the front (couldn't see).

now that you mention it, the more I think about it, the more I think this could be a possibility.

thx
D
I'm leaving towards this. When releasing the slide with the slide lock I've noticed sometimes the slide doesn't lock fully when chambering a round. All it takes is a slight tap to the back of the slide to fix it. The Critical Defense has the polymer piece (the ammo that this happened to me with was Zombie Max with polymer piece) that could have gotten it caught up. The Glock chambers rounds at a steep angle. I imagine if the slide was not in full battery because of this, what you described could happen. Glad you're ok!

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Yup, sounds like it wasnt 100% in battery. Only 3 things i can think of that cause this:

1) defective round ( either loaded too long or not sized correctly) causing round to not fully chamber.

2) obstruction in chamber or forward of chamber causing round to not seat fully

3) weak recoil spring preventing slide from fully closing and moving round fully into the chamber.

From your previous inspection i'd rule out #2, so might be #1 or #3...

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would tend to agree with Zipper....flames shooting out the rear of the chamber usually indicate a detonation with the slide out of battery.

Just tossing this out, but could a prior obstruction have been the culprit? That could cause catastrophic overpressure into the chamber and against the bolt face, resulting in a KaBOOM!

Other things (though not as likely with factory ammo) could be an out of spec case (too long OAL or too long a case length) causing the slide to be minutely out of battery when firing....or (possible even with factory ammo) an overcharged round.

I tend to lean towards either an overcharged round or an obstruction from previous shooting session. Was it holstered to the range or was it in a range bag?

But, WOW, still incredible. I would contact both Hornady and Glock about this. Make sure you have the name of the guy at the range who inspected it.

Keep us updated, will you?
99.9999% sure it's not obstruction. The WEapon is my carry weapon and always holstered. After each range session, before I re-mag with the carry ammo, I always visually inspect the barrel to check for possible fouling, damage, etc. since it is the weapon i'm going to trust my life to. This was the first round fired that day so i'm also starting to lean towards the "out of battery thing".

Craziness.

D

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yup, sounds like it wasnt 100% in battery. Only 3 things i can think of that cause this:

1) defective round ( either loaded too long or not sized correctly) causing round to not fully chamber.

2) obstruction in chamber or forward of chamber causing round to not seat fully

3) weak recoil spring preventing slide from fully closing and moving round fully into the chamber.

From your previous inspection i'd rule out #2, so might be #1 or #3...
#3.... How long are GLock stock (the plastic) G23GEn 4 recoil springs and rods supposed to last. I have a lot of rounds through it at both .40 and 9mm (around 2000 total).

Thx
D

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
I'm leaving towards this. When releasing the slide with the slide lock I've noticed sometimes the slide doesn't lock fully when chambering a round. All it takes is a slight tap to the back of the slide to fix it. The Critical Defense has the polymer piece (the ammo that this happened to me with was Zombie Max with polymer piece) that could have gotten it caught up. The Glock chambers rounds at a steep angle. I imagine if the slide was not in full battery because of this, what you described could happen. Glad you're ok!
Never ever ever use the slide drop to chamber a round. It is unreliable at best and sometimes it isn't even going to grab a round.

#3.... How long are GLock stock (the plastic) G23GEn 4 recoil springs and rods supposed to last. I have a lot of rounds through it at both .40 and 9mm (around 2000 total).

Thx
D
I forget the exact number, but i want to say they suggest 2500 which is a CYA thing. My 19 is over 50k and is factory original.

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Never ever ever use the slide drop to chamber a round. It is unreliable at best and sometimes it isn't even going to grab a round.
Never, EVER? ;) Interesting. There are some manufacturer owners manuals that state/recommend using the slide stop lever. :confused: Personally, I chalk this one up to my "old school" training and will be a hard habit to attempt to break.

Larry Vickers (not saying he's the end all to be all, but still) seems to think differently: http://www.m4carbine.net/archive/index.php/t-95376.html
"I teach that you choose the technique that works best for you - I personally use the support hand thumb to hit the slide release but that won't work for a left handed female shooting a SIG- she will need to sling shot ( or 'power stroke' which is the new tacticacool way to say it)......."
Definitely not wanting this to be a discussion about slide release technique. We can start another thread for that. :D

Besides i thought Glocks were "perfection" so they HAVE TO grab a round when the slide closes. HEHEHEHEH. Kidding. I see your point. If GLocks never fail to properly place a round into battery when utilizing the slingshot method then that is what i'm going to convert to since its the appropriate method for the tool at hand.

I forget the exact number, but i want to say they suggest 2500 which is a CYA thing. My 19 is over 50k and is factory original.
I may need to change out my RSA. Mmmmm.....Titanium. :D

Thanks for the advice.

thx
D

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.