Roni g2

Discussion in 'Glock Accessories & Gear' started by Dmercado1115, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Dmercado1115

Dmercado1115 New Member

Ok i am new to the forum and i am about to buy a Roni G2 what do you guys now about it and or any suggestions?

2. GAgal

GAgal Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Forum! I'm sure some of the other members will be along shortly to answer your question. I hope you enjoy yourself here.

3. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

Welcome to the forum, lots of information here and lots of helpful people.

Not to scare you off, but I don't want you to get in trouble over something so simple… The Roni 2 does have a vertical fore grip, and must be installed and registered by a licensed NFA manufacturor...

(this does not apply to stocks unless they have a fore grip)

Q: Is it legal to attach a vertical fore grip to a handgun?
    “Handgun” is defined under Federal law to mean, in part, a firearm which has a short stock and is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand… Gun Control Act of 1968, 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(29).

Under an implementing regulation of the National Firearms Act (NFA), 27 C.F.R. § 479.11, “pistol” is defined as:

… a weapon originally designed, made, and intended to fire a projectile (bullet) from one or more barrels when held in one hand, and having (a) a chamber(s) as an integral part(s) of, or permanently aligned with, the bore(s); and (b) a short stock designed to be gripped by one hand and at an angle to and extending below the line of the bore(s).
    The NFA further defines the term “any other weapon” (AOW) in 26 U.S.C. § 5845(e) as:

… any weapon or device capable of being concealed on the person from which a shot can be discharged through the energy of an explosive, a pistol or revolver having a barrel with a smooth bore designed or redesigned to fire a fixed shotgun shell, weapons with combination shotgun and rifle barrels 12 inches or more, less than 18 inches in length, from which only a single discharge can be made from either barrel without manual reloading, and shall include any such weapon which may be readily restored to fire. Such term shall not include a pistol or revolver having a rifled bore, or rifled bores, or weapons designed, made, or intended to be fired from the shoulder and not capable of firing fixed ammunition.
    ATF has long held that by installing a vertical fore grip on a handgun, the handgun is no longer designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand. Therefore, if individuals install a vertical fore grip on a handgun, they are “making” a firearm requiring registration with ATF’s NFA Branch. Making an unregistered “AOW” is punishable by a fine and 10 years’ imprisonment. Additionally, possession of an unregistered “AOW” is also punishable by fine and 10 years’ imprisonment.

To lawfully add a vertical fore grip to a handgun, a person must make an appropriate application on ATF Form 1 (5320.1), “Application to Make and Register a Firearm.” The applicant must submit the completed form, along with a fingerprint card bearing the applicant’s fingerprints; a photograph; and $200.00. The application will be reviewed by the NFA Branch. If the applicant is not prohibited from possessing a firearm under Federal, State, or local law, and possession of an “AOW” is not prohibited in the applicant’s State of residence, the form will be approved. Only then may the person add a vertical fore grip to the designated handgun.

A person may also send the handgun to a person licensed to manufacture NFA weapons. The manufacturer will install the fore grip on the firearm and register the firearm on an ATF Form 2 (5320.2). The manufacturer can then transfer the firearm back to the individual on an ATF Form 4 (5320.4), which results in a $5.00 transfer tax. If the manufacturer is out of State, the NFA Branch will need a clarification letter submitted with the ATF Form 4 so that the NFA Branch Examiner will know the circumstances of the transfer. Questions can be directed to the NFA Branch or the Firearms Technology Branch.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/firearms-technology.html#vertical-fore-grip

4. Dmercado1115

Dmercado1115 New Member

The fore grip is the thing that folds on the front of the stock?

5. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

Yes. Unfortunately the ATF has "rules"… Why this is a problem I don't know but they say it is...

6. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

The RONI would be a short barrel rifle (not an AOW) it has a butt stock and a barrel legnth under 16". Pretty much the same thing applies though, $200 tax stamp after a wait for BATF to approve all your paperwork.

Also, as a side note, turning a firearm into an AOW or SBR does not have to be done by a licensed NFA manufacturer, anyone can do the conversion to he firearm after they have received the tax stamp permit.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  7. dwcfastrice

dwcfastrice Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting Member

8. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

I'm interested to see this too, curious as to how they are going to achieve the 16" barrel. Is it going to be like the mechtechs where you have to take off the slide and install the 16" upper, or are they somehow getting a 16" barrl into the standard slide (doubtful), or something else that just hasn't occured to me?

9. dwcfastrice

There is a company in europe now that sells a 16" glock barrel.

The "impulse barrel" from IGB.
    http://www.mdwguns.com/IGB.html

So I'm just guessing here, but they will probably use that barrel with this body kit.

Pure conjecture, of course....

D

10. Dmercado1115

Dmercado1115 New Member

Thank you guys for all the info on the roni i am also looking foward for the 16" one....

11. Danzig

Danzig I do hood rat sh%t! Supporter

Texas
    Holy cow! $325 for a barrel?!?

12. dwcfastrice

Yeah, that was I said. Kind of killed my plans for the RONI (original) kit.
    For the kit, and the barrel, i could just get a 9mm AR.

WOULD be nice to have the accessory, though. Options are always nice.

d

13. Danzig

Texas
    It's cheaper to get the NFA tax stamp. Which would look pretty cool and switch back to a pistol easily.

14. Dmercado1115

Dmercado1115 New Member

Ok so were do you get the NFA tax stamp at?

15. Danzig

Texas
    Contact the BATFE or a dealer that specializes in class 3 weapons.

16. shoognite

shoognite New Member

I have an SBR'd G19. The simplest way to make an SBR is to fill out an ATF Form1 as an individual. You then need 2 passport photos, and 2 sets of fingerprints. You'll need your CLEO, to sign off on the back of the Form1(although this step is going away in the future). Once you have the signed Form1, your passport photos, and fingerprint cards, you then send them to the ATF along with a $200 check. Once, they receive the Form1, you will have about a 5-6 month wait. When the examiner gets an approval on your Form1, they will affix a stamp to it, sign it and send you back a copy. You can now assemble your SBR, after getting the receiver engraved with your name and location. You can also setup a trust and go that route if your CLEO will not sign off on any NFA.

I went with the HERA kit for mine.
    [​IMG]

17. Danzig

Texas
  18. rjrivero

rjrivero New Member

Roni's are fun. The rail needs a riser to mount an optic and keep in in the line of sight, and they run great with suppressors.

19. itsmejoseph

itsmejoseph New Member

CAA Roni

The Roni is a Conversion Kit the turns a pistol in to a rifle. It has a Forearm Grip, a Stock and a short little barrel. Why not just extend that short barrel on it to 16" to make the Feds. happy . . . . Problem solved :)

20. chuckds

chuckds Certified Glock Armorer

Already have one, its a 10mm Mech Tech, problem solved years ago :)

image-2465914899.jpg