Romney and NRA

Discussion in 'Second Amendment & Legal' started by GunnerGSP, Apr 13, 2012.

1. jimmyalbrecht

jimmyalbrecht Glockn Rollin

"We need a president who will stand up for the rights of hunters, sportsmen and those seeking to protect their homes and their families,"

Being a communications major and specifically studying political and presidential rhetoric quite a bit, this statement worries me. He said we need a president who will stand up for these things, but he never stated that he would be that president. Also, what rights is he talking about? His idea of rights may be different from mine. There is a communication theory called the Social Judgment theory, and it deals specifically with attitudes, beliefs, and values. It theorizes that every person has a latitude of acceptance, non-commitment, and rejection. Your beliefs, attitudes, and values determine how large each of those areas is.

This theory posits that in order to have a statement that falls with in the latitude of acceptance for the most amount of people, you should be ambiguous. I have also studied propaganda and persuasion techniques, and I can see this crap all of the media and with politicians. An example of this theory would be, I say I believe in human rights. Awesome, which ones, and which rights do I think humans should have. What do I believe? I could believe that human should not exist. This statement that Romney made means nothing to me except: "I am trying to get conservatives to vote for me by saying what I think they want to hear."

2. He owns two shotguns? Must be for the small rodent hunting he does.

3. GunnerGSP

GunnerGSP Active Member

Lol...right! His statement about hunting caught my attention. He certainly did not score any "macho" points with me on that one.

4. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

Personally, I'm voting for anyone who isn't Obama. Right now, the only people I would choose Obama over are Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi, and even those are close. Oh, and Rosie. :rolleyes:

I'd prefer, ultimately, a Libertarian president. Since I can't have that, BTO...better than Obama. If it's going to be Romney, fine. He's better than Insane Santorum. He was scary. :eek:

We'd all like to put a good candidate in office, but we don't have one. 2012 has to be about getting anyone else in the White House. Then we have 4 years to find a worthy replacement.

5. jimmyalbrecht

jimmyalbrecht Glockn Rollin

I agree with this, I just over-analyze speech haha. But it sucks when you're forced to choose between the lesser of two evils...

6. brannon67

brannon67 New Member

Flip flop, flip flop. Tell the people what they want to hear at the time they want to hear it, etc. Typical politics. No one with a backbone, ever.

7. Glockster27

Glockster27 New Member Lifetime Supporting Member

Just remember that Romney is from Massachusettes. The gun laws there are almost as bad as California. He may be the lesser of two evils but I feel that we are in for some very rough times either way. :eek:

8. Eye_Peeled

Eye_Peeled 8th Gen. Fla Cracker (not creepy though)

When you are out in a boat and develop a leak, you have to use any means necessary to stop that leak to allow you to return safely to port.

Right now, obama is that gusher in the boat. Romney is the "whatever in the boat to stop the leak". Sadly, this is what we have right now. We can not afford to give obama the liberty of a second term where he doesn't have to worry about being held accountable for his radical ways.

I have to give Romney the benefit of the doubt and back him wholeheartedly should he ultimately become the nominee. That is, unless you fellas have a plan for something better. If so, I'm wit cha.

9. SquadCapt4

SquadCapt4 New Member

Every where I turn, I hear the exact same thing as I'm hearing here. And it was the same thing with McCain 4 years ago. Surely the Republican party is hearing this grumbling too??? I mean, we all know the two parties pick and groom the candidates. And I know there are more promising picks out there for the Republican party to groom. Are they purposefully trying to throw the fight? I know there's no longer true Statesmen out there....like Lincoln, Jefferson, Adams, good ol' Ben Franklin. But, Romney & Co.? Come on!

10. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

I voted to keep Obama out the first time, and will vote to try to keep him out again !

If Romney is all we have, then Romney it is...

11. Eye_Peeled

Eye_Peeled 8th Gen. Fla Cracker (not creepy though)

Shooter, I had to read that twice. I first read that you voted for him; I knew that had to be wrong, turned out I was. I voted the same way in '08 and will do it again in '12.

12. wrpNYFL

wrpNYFL Premium Member Lifetime Supporting Member

SquadCapt44, I really agree with you... BUT, right now we have to choose... Romney, or the complete (slightly melodramatic, but just slightly) loss of freedom by King Obama. Anyone who does not vote is by default voting for Obama. Please vote for our freedom.

13. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

Just my opinion but I don't see the big problem with Romney. He really did accomplish quite a bit for the cause of those who are always railing against the left when he was a Governor with an Overwhelming majority in his legislation against him. He has a very good record of being straight with what he thinks and no I don't have a problem with someone changing some positions on social issues as they mature and see things more clealy. I think he will do a great job. Just my 2 cents.

14. wrpNYFL

wrpNYFL Premium Member Lifetime Supporting Member

I like Romney also. And I agree with you. I would prefer someone more libertarian, but that does t mean I have anything against Romney. I was attempting to make the point about needing anybody but Obama. Talk about changing positions in things, Obama is the master...

15. Like everyone else said, lesser of two evils: Romney.

No candidate really ever says they are for gun control, we are the majority of voters. And he is from MA but again, lesser of two evils. I feel obama is far more detatched from reality.

16. mattieg23

mattieg23 New Member

Vote independent screw them both

17. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

A vote for an Independent candidate is a vote for OBAMA. Welcome to the forum mattieg23, If you can, go to the Introduction forum and tell us a bit about you and your Glocks. Which Glocks do you have?

18. Voting for anyone that is not a direct option is a waste of a vote.

19. j102

j102 Well-Known Member

I'm with you here! We can NOT have another four years with Obama.
    I'm with Romney all the way!