Rights of passage

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by dougster, Apr 15, 2012.

1. dougster

dougster New Member

Recently saw a video on YouTube about a guy doing a walk through Walmart with his concealed carry for the first time. He called it a a "right of passage" for new CC holders. Today I felt like I had my own right of passage as a gun owner. I went to the range solo today. Put 150 rounds through my G19 and thoroughly killed some paper. Used a target that had multiple 6 inch dots on it. Only had 23 out of 150 that missed the circle so I would have to say it was a successful outing.

I am interested to know anyone could share what they might consider a "right of passage" for those of us new to concealed carry and/or firearms in general.

The ones on my list so far are:

CCW class
    Attending first gun show
    Buying first firearm
    Shooting first firearm purchased
    Going to the range solo

Anyone want to share what I might have to look forward to?

Dougster

2. dougster

dougster New Member

BTW""…distance was 15 yards.

3. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

You forgot to add:

First traffic stop while armed
    First time ya had to think "do I draw, or do I run?"

4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Getting pulled over for a traffic violation while carrying...

Laws differ from state to state...in Pennsylvania, there is no duty

to inform the LEO. ( Now watch the opinions come a flyin' on that...!! )

5. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

^^^---- Same in Nevada. We do not have a First Disclosure rule.

6. SHOOTER13

Geez us...you are fast on that keyboard HS1 !!

7. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

In Illinois the rights of passage are more like the first rally for gun rights you attend :mad: :eek:

8. Webphisher

Webphisher Duct Tape, Alabama Chrome

First cc is nothing, try your first OC.

9. SHOOTER13

Good point Web...that puts it in perspective. When others see

your firearm...the mixed reactions are a rush in themselves.

10. jimmyalbrecht

jimmyalbrecht Glockn Rollin

I'd like to add:
    Cleaning your gun for the first time
    Maybe successfully clearing a jam
    First complete desassembly

This one happened to me too soon haha. I was with my fiance, and a car full of guys pulled up behind us at 1 am in the morning blocking us from backing up (We were in a driveway). I had already decided if the window came down or one of them got out that I was drawing. I let my fiance in the car and reached for my gun. They backed out, drove across the grass, and left when they saw me reaching for my gun. I never even had to draw. This was only a month after I got my permit. I also went and got night sights installed the very next day.

11. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

First OC is a good one! How about first time teaching someone else how to shoot.

12. That's true. I've seen a few around here that do. It's not a very often thing so when I do see one it kinda startles me for a second specially when they are coming out of a liquor depot. Nine times out of ten I spot it before they spot me. I guess cause I'm looking for stuff like that. They are used to OC. I'm fine with that they OC, least I know what they got :)

13. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

At least you know what I am SHOWING... Much more than meets the eye, my friend, much more...

14. ckuenzer331

ckuenzer331 Member

Even as a LEO, being stopped while armed is a bit unnerving... As for draw or run... No duty for us LEOs to retreat, as you know... For cover, yes, but from a problem, NEVER!

15. ckuenzer331

ckuenzer331 Member

There is in MI, but I'm less concerned about the licensed carriers than those that aren't... ;)

16. ckuenzer331

ckuenzer331 Member

Sounds like my first and only experience with an active shooter... Credit card got a hurting the next day finishing my M4...

17. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

What would you NOT be showing? Being 18, you cannot get your CC yet, so what would you be hiding....a knife?

This thread is about guns.

18. ckuenzer331

ckuenzer331 Member

That's funny!!! 18!!!! I'm laughing so hard it hurts!!!! So.... If you're only 18 and your hiding more... Is it actually legal?

19. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

Oh HS1, you have overlooked, or possibly forgotten some of the non lethal items I carry with my gun as well.
    I do carry a knife. I do know how to use it as well. I carry a Cold Steel Spartan, big ole knife. I also have a .50 cal bullet on my keychain, makes a nice kubaton. And tear gas/pepper spray. Of course I have more than one knife on me. All of this and I have training in Krav Maga. Personally, my glock is the last thing you should be worried about. Not to mention I am studying to become one of those "worst nightmare" lawyers, so after the incident... Well anyway.
    No, this thread is about appearance in public, showing all your cards. While I do display myself respectfully and well mannered, I don't show all my cards while doing so. Personal I think everyone should where their favorite gun shirts and hats. Though some may cause issues, like HS1's "cowboy and illegals" shirt, especially here in AZ.

HS1- I would love one of those shirts! I would hate for you to make a run of them and not sell them though... Heck I don't think I could get away with buying one... Us 18 year olds have parents to deal with.

Ckuenzer331- in AZ everything I have listed is legal. Here, carrying a concealed handgun, under age and outside of the "safe zone"(home), is a class three misdemeanor. Maximum $500 fine or 30 days in jail. I will admit, I have CC several times outside of my house/property because I felt my life is worth more than a possible fine. Once I turn 21 I will no longer have to worry about this restriction. I do not recommend disobeying the law to anyone, that is a personal choice that you have to make. Heck, let's put it out there. I'll name myself a hypocrite for now, do not disobey the law! Do not CC under the age of 21!

20. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

Oops, got the threads mixed up. This one is about rights of passage. I thought this was the appearance in public thread. Gotta love this IPhone, only one screen at a time. Either way though...