Rifle hunting.

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by savage07, Jul 8, 2012.

1. savage07

savage07 New Member

Any rifle hunting enthusiast? I just would like to know if there is any negative about hunting with a full stock rifle, since I don't usually see hunters hunting with this type of rifles.

2. hoovco

hoovco New Member

What do you mean by full stock rifle?

3. savage07

savage07 New Member

That the stock goes all the way to the end of the barrel. I'll put a pic...

4. savage07

savage07 New Member

image-616188162.jpg

This is a Full Stock rifle.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  5. SeventiesWreckers

SeventiesWreckers Load Bearing Wall

Looks like a CZ 550 with a Mannlicher stock. Nice wood.

Don't rifle hunt much anymore though. If I can afford it, I bow hunt out of state every couple of years.

6. savage07

savage07 New Member

That's correct, it is CZ 550.

7. savage07

savage07 New Member

If I'm not wrong the FS it's about the same weight than the regular. I'm wondering why most hunters prefer the regular stock instead of the full stock. And what it's the purpose behind a full stock rifle?

8. The less stock that touches the barrel the more accurate on average your rifle will be. That's why you full float the barrel so that you can slip a dollar bill between the stock and barrel then bed the action in so it'll fit snuggly into the stock. With a Mannlicher style stock you have more of a chance for wood to touch the barrel and stop it from it's natural vibration and thus hinder accuracy.
    Still, they do look really nice and I'm sure if you set them up properly they'll still be plenty accurate for "Minute of Deer" for hunting purposes. ;)

9. savage07

savage07 New Member

You explanation make a lot of sense...true that the Mannlicher looks nice, but the full stock wood kill the purpose of a rifle ( accuracy ). why did they come out with this full stock? I would prefer accuracy over beauty on a rifle.

10. Two-Guns

Two-Guns New Member

I always liked to have the lightest possible rifle that I could for hunting. So no I have never used a full stock for hunting.

11. sgtcowboyusmc

sgtcowboyusmc New Member

A Good Friend of mine hunted with a Mannlicher all over Montana and Wyoming and he was very successful. But all the things that have been said about Weight and Accuracy are 100% correct. I always that they were too pretty to risk getting scratched up! :D

12. bfish

bfish Member

Yeah weight and accuracy... As stated. But there is no reason that rifle won't work for you! What do you plan on hunting!?

13. savage07

savage07 New Member

Honestly the only thing I hunt now is paper targets at 100 yards. Maybe one day a couple of wild pigs. Even tough I'm not a hunter yet i would like to have a good rifle. Mine at 100 yard shooting paper targets it's really precise. Now there it's a big difference between shooting at the range than be out there hunting real games. I was watching the other day a couple of TV shows about hunting and I realized that the Mannlicher was the less chosen by hunters. And made me wonder why?

14. bfish

bfish Member

Yeah people do still use them though. What caliber is yours?

15. butcherboy

butcherboy New Member

I have a howa 1500 in 308

16. jr84mo

jr84mo New Member

Cz 550! Nice rifle... The only disadvantage I would see is going through the woods hitting the nice wood stock up against brush & trees. That's why I like carrying my Remington 700 AAC-SD in the woods. Short lightweight & very accurate.

17. havik72

havik72 Senior Member

I am an avid hunter out west where we frequently see long range shooting (I.e. 200 to 300 yards is standard fair, 300 to 500 yards is not unheard of if you are capable, and 500+ is available, but I don't recommend unless you REALLY know what you are doing...don't want any inhumane shots after all).
    I shoot an accurized Winchester model 70 in 7mm magnum with a fully floated barrel, etc. I commonly shoot to 500 yards successfully, and at that range you will see the adverse results of not free floating your barrel, etc., but if you are shooting under 150 yards the difference is really negligible in my experience unless you are shooting competitively...after all the kill zone on a deer is roughly 6" to 10" in diameter, so +/- 1.5" is not exactly a major issue if you can otherwise shoot accurately.
    The bigger issue for me is the risk of even a floated wood stock swelling in winter weather and affecting your shot even more. As was said by others a floated stock is only the thickness of a dollar bill away from your barrel...not tough to imagine swelling to contact the barrel. The more wood that is in contact with the barrel, the greater the chance of poor performance at distance in bad weather...especially if humidity is at play.
    My advice...great gun for the range or the gun library, but get a hunting rifle designed for the purpose and conditions if you intend to shoot live animals, and enjoy the meat that will follow!!! Just my $.02 for what it's worth!!!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  18. savage07

savage07 New Member

308 Winshester.

19. savage07

savage07 New Member

I saw some pics on line. Really cool rifle! How you like it?

20. savage07

savage07 New Member

I hear you. That's sucks because it wasn't easy to find this rifle. When I was looking for it, no one had it. Oh well at least it would look great on my wall, jeje!!