Revolver Timing Issue

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by guedesigns, Jan 6, 2012.

1. guedesigns

guedesigns New Member

I own a Saturday Night Special. The Rohm 38s. It's a crappy gun, I know. But, It works, it's pretty reliable, and it is accurate every time.

However, recently, my timing seems to be a bit off. It works great with lead, but when I fire full metal jackets, it will sometimes shave a bit of metal of and jam the cylinder.

What should I do? Is there a simple way to adjust timing? Does it require a gunsmith? Or should I just stick to lead and forget about it?

2. rjrivero

rjrivero New Member

"sticking to lead" is a band aid on this issue. The timing is off, then the timing is off. The only reason you're not splashing lead is because it's deforming instead of shaving and coming apart. You will ruin the forcing cone eventually if you continue to shoot a revolver out of time.

The thing to do is to fit a new hand to the revolver (90% of the time, the hand wears down and doesn't bring the cylinder into full lock when the timing is off.) So, that's really the way this should be addressed. Anything short of that and it's just a dangerous situation developing.