Glock Firearms banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Maybe someone can give me some advice. I recently purchased a gen 3 glock 23 brand new. I'm having an issue with it and wanted to see if anyone else has ever experienced something similar.
When I fire the gun, like a lot of shooters, I keep the trigger depressed until it returns to battery, then let off until the trigger resets. The problem is, that when I keep the trigger depressed, the gun sometimes hesitates when returning to battery about 1/4" from seating. It has failed to return fully to battery once but every other time, it's a brief hesitation then it snaps into battery. This isn't an issue when practicing slow fire but rapid fire would be a problem.
This hesitation/hang doesn't happen every time I fire. It's usually once or twice per magazine. I broke down the weapon and cleaned/lubed and the problem persists. It also doesn't seem to matter which ammunition I use.
Anyone else ever had this issue and found a solution?

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
To eliminate grip issues, have you had anyone else try to replicate the issue with a different box of ammo?

Just thinking out loud here.

D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To eliminate grip issues, have you had anyone else try to replicate the issue with a different box of ammo?

Just thinking out loud here.

D
Good point and yes I did. I forgot to mention that. Other shooters had the same issue with mine.

·
Sheep Dog-MCLMM
430 Posts
Have you ever detail stripped the gun?

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
It may just need to be broken in.

You mention you lubed it, but since you mention it is a brand new gun, did you by any chance remove the factory lube (the copper-colored grease on the inside bottom of the slide)?

Also, if the slide hesitates when feeding the next round, does your pressure on the trigger make any difference? Meaning, you squeeze, BANG, then hesitation in cycling but what happens with your trigger when the hesitation occurs? Do you then release the trigger part way? Does it push forward part way?

The only time I ever had a problem that sounds similar to this, it was with an EAA Witness-P Subcompact .45ACP....the ejector bar had been bent following a careless reassembly, and it was causing the next round in the magazine to momentarily jam on feeding, and the symptoms were exactly as you describe. The ejector is the metal bar that angles over the rounds when the magazine is inserted, and is located to the left rear. Worth a looksee?

·
Banned
1,214 Posts
Break it in!!! Shoot the crap out of it. If that doesn't work I would also suggest installing a heavier recoil spring and a heavier trigger spring.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It may just need to be broken in.

You mention you lubed it, but since you mention it is a brand new gun, did you by any chance remove the factory lube (the copper-colored grease on the inside bottom of the slide)?

Also, if the slide hesitates when feeding the next round, does your pressure on the trigger make any difference? Meaning, you squeeze, BANG, then hesitation in cycling but what happens with your trigger when the hesitation occurs? Do you then release the trigger part way? Does it push forward part way?

The only time I ever had a problem that sounds similar to this, it was with an EAA Witness-P Subcompact .45ACP....the ejector bar had been bent following a careless reassembly, and it was causing the next round in the magazine to momentarily jam on feeding, and the symptoms were exactly as you describe. The ejector is the metal bar that angles over the rounds when the magazine is inserted, and is located to the left rear. Worth a looksee?
Great info thank you. What you describe sounds exactly like what's happening. When it completely hangs I can release the trigger part way and it will snap into battery. I'm going to investigate your suggestions.
To answer your other question, yes I did remove the factory lube when I bought it.

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
Great info thank you. What you describe sounds exactly like what's happening. When it completely hangs I can release the trigger part way and it will snap into battery. I'm going to investigate your suggestions.
To answer your other question, yes I did remove the factory lube when I bought it.

In case you may be worried, this is not an issue. Just apply some gun grease to that location for the next couple hundred rounds or so.

This may fix your problem.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I'm wondering if it could be a defective recoil spring? What do your used primers look like? If you see light off-center strikes it may well be. This may sound crazy but if you or a buddy have a tac light slip it on the rail and try firing again. If the problem gets worse that would be another indicator. The first suggestion comes directly from the troubleshooting section of the Armorer's manual. The second came from the Instructor I took the course from. Something he has seen in the field. Just a thought.

·
Load Bearing Wall
4,095 Posts
What Argyle said sounds about right. My G21 Gen 4 would do the same thing from time to time when it was brand new. After about 500 rounds, and a couple of good cleanings it began cycling fine. I think the mag springs might have been pretty tight too, 'cause mine seemed to want to hang on the first couple of rounds out of the mag. It's working fine now. Hope yours breaks in and the issue clears itself up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I'm going to look in to some of your suggestions and, if all else fails, put another few hundred rounds through it and see if it persists. If all else fails I'll call Glock.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts