Glock Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This may sound ignorant, but I've never done any in-depth maintenance on my Glock and I think it's about time to clean it up and replace some parts. What I'm wondering is, can the serial number plate in the grip frame be removed and installed in a new frame? Ive not been to the Armorer class yet so I basically know how to field strip it and that's it. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Right. I'm fixin to take the Glock Armorers course here in OK in April and this is going to be the first thing I ask.

I wouldn't even worry about it, except that, a few months ago I got a magwell ext given to me and I installed it on my 22 and wasn't payin attention when i tightened it down. It gouged a little piece out of the edge of the guns mag well. I was not pleased. I immediately threw that part in the bottom of the safe and hoped I'd never see it again. And since my 22 is my duty carry gun it has naturally acquired some inadvertent "beautification marks" so I'm hopin this is something that can be done relatively painlessly, and I can give my Glock a lil more care in the future.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
This may sound ignorant, but I've never done any in-depth maintenance on my Glock and I think it's about time to clean it up and replace some parts. What I'm wondering is, can the serial number plate in the grip frame be removed and installed in a new frame? Ive not been to the Armorer class yet so I basically know how to field strip it and that's it. Thanks for any input.
What you are planning/talking about is a felony.
The ONLY REAL serial number on a GLOCK is located on the frame/receiver. The numbers on the barrel and slide are useless when identifying a GLOCK by serial number.

For example, If you breake the receiver, let's say it cracked. You have to ship the gun back to Glock for a new one. They will destroy the old receiver and issue you a new one with a different serial number. But you will still have the same slide and barrel with the old numbers.

Simply put NEVER PURCHASE a firearm that anyone has tampered with the number on the frame/receiver.

·
Registered
46 Posts
G-23 said:
What you are planning/talking about is a felony.
The ONLY REAL serial number on a GLOCK is located on the frame/receiver. The numbers on the barrel and slide are useless when identifying a GLOCK by serial number.

For example, If you breake the receiver, let's say it cracked. You have to ship the gun back to Glock for a new one. They will destroy the old receiver and issue you a new one with a different serial number. But you will still have the same slide and barrel with the old numbers.

Simply put NEVER PURCHASE a firearm that anyone has tampered with the number on the frame/receiver.
Yeah what he said...+1

·
Registered
71 Posts
When they make their frames part of the design must be that removing the # plate will damage the frame. I believe Lonewolf originally had that issue when developing the Timberwolf frame.

·
Premium Member
4,108 Posts
http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/27/478/34

No person shall knowingly transport, ship, or receive in interstate or foreign commerce any firearm which has had the importer's or manufacturer's serial number removed, obliterated, or altered, or possess or receive any firearm which has had the importer's or manufacturer's serial number removed, obliterated, or altered and has, at any time, been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce.

EDIT:
As I read that again it looks like just posession or removal is illegal because just about every firearm has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
bhale187 said:
http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/27/478/34

No person shall knowingly transport, ship, or receive in interstate or foreign commerce any firearm which has had the importer's or manufacturer's serial number removed, obliterated, or altered, or possess or receive any firearm which has had the importer's or manufacturer's serial number removed, obliterated, or altered and has, at any time, been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce.

EDIT:
As I read that again it looks like just posession or removal is illegal because just about every firearm has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce.
This being said... I am doing this for MY OWN benefit, not to trade or sell this gun. It has ome sentimental value to it, and it remain in my posession indefinitely. I didnt ask if this was legallay possible. I asked if it was phisically possible to do. In leiu of buing a new frame with a different s/n on it. Theres no need for people to freak out and start quoting US Code.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
This being said... I am doing this for MY OWN benefit, not to trade or sell this gun. It has ome sentimental value to it, and it remain in my posession indefinitely. I didnt ask if this was legallay possible. I asked if it was phisically possible to do. In leiu of buing a new frame with a different s/n on it. Theres no need for people to freak out and start quoting US Code.
No one is feaking out. IF you want to commit a felony it is your choice.

Like I said before, get and education on the subject, after all, it IS your life.

And no, I am not a teacher.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Messing with the Getting caught with an altered serial number is felony, regardless of whether you selling it or keeping it in the safe, and I would imagine that Glock makes them so that it would require destroying the frame to get the plate out anyway.

I recommend you try this...
I traded into an ambidextrous 21sf a while back, and promptly thereafter the ambi mag catch started sticking. I called customer service and they told me they would swap my frame for a RH frame. I told him that was fine, but then he said, "well if we did though you would have mismatched serial numbers... Just send us the gun." So I did. Three weeks later, I received a brand new gun, with night sights, and three new magazines. I have always found their CS to be top notch, I think you would be best served to call them. I would NEVER start tampering with a serial number.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts