remove from membership

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by TxShooter, Apr 5, 2012.

1. TxShooter

TxShooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator

I just got this e-mail ..

So I thought everyone at this point knows that websites don't run specific ads they pick. They run Adsense or another network which is a huge array of ads they feed into websites based on geography, blah blah blah.

Just to state though in case you don't know, the very bottom ad and the top large ad is a network and I don't pick those ads or have control over them, it's all ran through Tactical Republic.

Regardless, maybe this is just too abstract but as pro-2nd Amendment rights people, wouldn't we want Obama to spend a bunch of money here? I mean really, you think he's going to recruit a single member here to vote for him esp. with a tiny ad? For me I want him to spend all the money he can here because I know it's a total waste of campaign money that is not going to net a single vote and it's money not being spent elsewhere that might actually sway a voter.

2. series11

series11 Hail Commifornia Lifetime Supporting Member

Roger that. I don't care if he spends all of his money here. I did think in the intorduction or somewhere it states that you don't pick the ads on the site.... In any case if you don't like him don't vote for him. I'm not.

3. GAgal

GAgal Well-Known Member

Wow. That was really rude. Personally, I really never pay attention to ad on websites. They are just page filler In my opinion. I guess some folks don't see it this way.

4. Caseyglock19

Caseyglock19 New Member

I use the mobile version...no ads

5. Sarabian

Sarabian Slightly Opinionated

Meh, can't please everyone.

6. I run firefox with the adds disable (make the pages load quicker) so I don't see any adds what so ever, on any web page ;).

7. Eye_Peeled

Eye_Peeled 8th Gen. Fla Cracker (not creepy though)

I don't blame the guy for leaving if he thought that. If I thought this forum was purposly running obama ads, I would be gone in a heartbeat! He's wrecking this country!

Thanks for clearing up how the ads run, I'm glad I don't have to leave (although I haven't seen one of those ads). Hopefully whoever sent that message is clear now and decided to stay; I like a man/lady with principles!

8. KeenansGarage

KeenansGarage Hiding in plain sight....

I never scroll down that far, but I expected that those adds were done by an advertising agency.
    Tx, thanks for clearing that up for everyone. If I am looking for an add, I am looking in the vendor section anyway ;)!

9. Kmurray96

Kmurray96 Well-Known Member Supporter

Talk about cutting your nose off to spite your face. Oh, well, I wish that subscriber luck in finding a Glock site as good as this one.

To each their own.

10. ADulay

ADulay New Member

The funny thing about "internet advertising" is that of all the ads that are thrown in your face 24/7 on practically every website in the world, how many here can remember any of them about 5 seconds after you leave the page!

Eveybody uses Google search. They make billions in ad revenue. Quick, what were the last two ads you saw on Google search?

Over the years we've learned to just tune out all of the flotsam and jetsam of the internet.

So, if Oblamma wants to spend money here. Cool.

If somebody somehow takes this as a personal afront to their pursuit of life and liberty, well perhaps they're wound a bit too tight!

AD (open carry advocate)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  11. EvilD

EvilD New Member

There's adds on here? Ok, now I see them , never noticed.

12. I use mobile app as well, no ads +1 for this being the best place. I enjoy it every day an all day.

13. iGlock

iGlock Lead Farmer

I also use the app more, no ads on it :)

14. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

That was rude and disrespectful in the extreme.

I hope you acceded to his request.

15. Some people just stand waaaaay strong behind what they believe in. In this case it was a misunderstanding of something no one here has any control over.

16. Glockmaster

Glockmaster New Member

I agree that was RUDE.. I love it here :)

17. Wyldink

Wyldink Premium Member

Another thing he may not have considered is some websites ad managers will show you ads that are relevant to your browsing history. For example I was looking for information on a cheap scooter that my dad had bought. For the next two weeks that was all I ever seen when I went to YouTube or Facebook was ads for scooters.

18. Spoken the truth!

19. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

That's because companies like Google (which also owns YouTube and Android, among others) use a search function that looks at the cookies stored on your computer (automatically and without your permission) to learn more about your browsing habits, and then thru an advertising company (Google-Analytics, Inc) sells advertising space/time to other companies to make targetted advertising efforts directed to the individual user.

Essentially, they (Google and others) gather information on you, from you, without your permission or consent, and use this information to make money selling advertising space/time to other companies.

Oh, and clicking the "like" button on Facebook does the same thing.

As a side note, Google now also downloads this information, and specific personal (user) information, so they can more effectively sell advertising space/time that is specifically targetted to each individual user.

Ever wonder how Google can make so much money offering a free search engine as well as free email? They don't make the money from the user, they make the money from the marketer using the user's information.

20. havasu

havasu Well-Known Member Supporter

I fired up the lap top today and the first ad I saw was one from Mitt Romney. :D