Remington 870 shotgun.

Discussion in 'Self Defense' started by fireman5, Jun 23, 2020.

1. fireman5

fireman5 Junior Member Supporter

WNY
    I just bought a Remington 870 20 gauge shotgun. I accidently bought slugs, along with buckshot, forf self defense. What are the pros and cons of slugs? I have yet to shoot it. Also, what kind of recoil should I expect? Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    Defendandprotect32 likes this.
  2. Lucian_253

Lucian_253 Well-Known Member Supporter

That’s a 18.5” barrel or the Remington version of the shockwave?

3. mattm

mattm last one, I promise Supporter

2020-04-04 19.44.44.jpg CAM00614.jpg Pros of slugs are you can shoot them at the range, at least ime. My defense load is alternating 00 and slugs...figure in the house or in the yard, sits about to go down :eek:. Recoil depends on rated speed of slug. I shoot 12 gage, Mossberg tactical. 1800fps 2.75shells pack a whallop, 1300 fps, not so much.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    Defendandprotect32 likes this.
  4. Danzig

Danzig I do hood rat sh%t! Supporter

Texas
    I never messed with 20 gauge shotguns. I recommend you fire at least one of those slugs from the hip to get an idea of recoil. There are guys that hold the gun up that they can use the sights but you could hurt yourself if you aren’t holding it right.
    Slugs are great for punch and accuracy.

Defendandprotect32, jhg and mattm like this.
  5. mattm

mattm last one, I promise Supporter

100 pushups a day minimum, and shoulder into it...but with that shockwave style, I dunno o_O. Definitely agree with your "from the hip" there, Danzig.
    I've done 35x1800fps slugs....got stupid near the end.:confused:

Defendandprotect32, jhg and Danzig like this.
  6. Lucian_253

Lucian_253 Well-Known Member Supporter

I have hornady 00 8 pellet 12 gauge @ 1600 FPS ( advertise FPS) in my 590 shockwave. They are fun to shoot out of it, lol!!

Sparky_D and jhg like this.
  7. j102

j102 Well-Known Member

RevV, jhg and Lucian_253 like this.
  8. jhg

jhg Gunslinger Supporter

I have only used slugs for deer hunting. A slug running at 1600 or more fps is sure to exit the target and smash up some stuff on the other side. For HD I use S&B 12 pellet 00 buck. Less fps but more pellets. I think for inside the house or in my small yard they are sufficient. For barrier penetration a slug is the way to go. One advantage of the 870 is the ease of adding rounds during a firefight. The best shotgun I have owned and shot was a cheap Mossberg 600 pump. I sold it to buy my 870, wish I had it back. Can't go wrong with either Remington or Mossberg. As for gauge I have only used 12 ga, can't speak as for as the 20 ga.

Sparky_D and Danzig like this.
  9. Defendandprotect32

Defendandprotect32 Well-Known Member

Chicago
    I have shot 2 3\4 oz slugs and oo buck out of my 12g shockwave and it does pack a wallop.I started shooting from the hip and as I became more comfortable I have raised the gun about shoulder high with arms extended.with the mossberg,I have the option of shooting mini shells with a adaptor.

Lucian_253 and jhg like this.
  10. j102

j102 Well-Known Member

Slugs are a good choice for deer and hog hunting.
    I hunt with a rifle, but I always bring my 870 with rifled slugs as a backup gun for a two/three days hunting trip.

Lucian_253 and jhg like this.
  11. Fyrtwuck

Fyrtwuck Member

For HD, you need to test your loads and see what they can do.

I’ve seen slugs go through walls into other rooms and both sides of car doors. Something to consider if you have family members in other rooms.

Find something similar to the construction of your house and shoot it at the same distance that would be practical inside your house.

12. j102

j102 Well-Known Member

Yes. For HD I only use 00 buck. Only use Slugs for hunting.

13. Bayou

Bayou Well-Known Member

I’ve never even shot slugs out of a shotgun before. Seems like they might be harder on a barrel; is that the case?

14. Greywood

Greywood Low speed High drag Supporter

NYS
    20ga slugs wont be bad at all. I've shot 12ga slugs outta my mossberg shockwave and had no problems other than accuracy. 7-10yards is about the max range on a barrel that short,atleast in my experience. Beyond that slugs and buckshot were all over the place.