Reloading

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by dutchs, Jun 24, 2012.

1. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

I was just wondering, I am going to be buying a big bore rifle and figured I might as well go ahead and start reloading my handgun ammo as well, I was looking at this rig I was going to go Ultrasonic for cleaning I know i am going with this press do you think the Prep center and reloader kit are worth it or would you buy seperate?
    hornady.jpg

hornady 2.jpg

Hornady 3.jpg

Thanks for your input guys!

2. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Prep center will be of more worth to you than the precision reloader's kit. And the loading press with all the bells and whistles, of course.

My $0.02

3. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

Thank you so much HS1!! So it's a nice rig?? Useful? Everything a new reloader should need?

4. SeventiesWreckers

SeventiesWreckers Load Bearing Wall

I'm with Happy, Prep Center. Have you shot the new .308 yet?

5. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Yes, range report please!

6. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

My first report

[​IMG]Finally got to shoot my new rifle
    To those who so graciously offered their assistance helping me figure out what to buy for my first rifle thank you! God do i love shooting a rifle. Nothin against my Glocks but all i can say is i am sure i will buy more rifles!! To those who dont know my rifle is a Savage Arms "Hog Hunter" chambered in. 308 . Here are my first shots, 25yards, 16 rounds, the 3 missing i just dont know what i did? They were on the cardboard so i didnt completely miss. Work to do! First shot was the slightly high right in the bullseye. Wow, my first shot! Going to 50 and 100 yards Friday. Keep you posted.

[​IMG]

rifle report.jpg

The first one was at a bench with sandbags, the second one was standing at I believe 50 yards with steel sights and no sling. I tried at 100 yards with my sling the other day and was to embarrased to post. I have some work to do getting used to the sling and the distance. I mean, it wasn't Horrible, I hit a 12 inch target with all 20 rds. but they were all over the place!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  7. looking good, Dutchs! Iron sights or optics?

8. SeventiesWreckers

Good Job, Not to worry, everything will come together with some practice. Rifles Are fun & very addictive.

9. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

You got that right!! I am buying a Marlin 1895 GBL right now and have my eye on a Steyr Mannlicher in Marlin .450 I am really enjoying the rifle action!!

10. G-23

G-23 Premium Member

Actually, the second target looked too hight for fifty yards and should have been hitting low on the target, even for fifty yards. Why you ask?

Because the gun was most lokely sighted for 100 yds. and the bullet would be still climbing at 50 yds as it would be at 100 yds. Tweeking it in at 50 ain't bad, just means it should be high at a 100. But the group looks good!

Enjoy the new toy!

11. SeventiesWreckers

Okie Dokie.... I just sent you a PM on the subject, and some links. If you have any questions on any of it just pm me back.

Enjoy the rifles, they are made for it.

12. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

OK, I am an ameateur here. You are saying that if the gun sights were sighted in at 100 yards, which I know they were and I am shooting at 50 yards, I want to aim low on my taget DC because the bullet is actually climbing on its way to 100 yards?

13. It's not that it's 'climbing', it's that your gun is effectively pointed up. If you bore sighted the gun at the 100 yard target you'd find the bullet hitting low. So you adjust elevation such that the crosshairs/sights are on the bullseye, but the rifle is aiming higher to allow the bullet to fall into the bulls.

So if your sighted for 100 you're aiming higher than you would need for 50, and too low for 200.

My I advise you read up on windage and elevation: each caliber and powder load has different characteristics you would need to learn about if you were to get into long distance (100+ yard) bullseye shooting.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  14. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

I got them! Thanks again and this is information that will keep me up late learning< I will be a decent shooter by the end of the year!! I think this info. will go a long way getting me there! Thanks Wrecker

15. Two completely different purposes... You're allowed to love rifles as long as there's a Glock in your holster ;)

Enjoy!

16. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

That G21 will always be ready in case I get snuck up on!! Those pigs are mean and sneaky!!!