Reloading Time

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by glocker73, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Ok, gotta question for y'all expert reloaders out there. With a progressive press, on average, how long does it take to reload say.......1000 rounds of 9mm? Just curious! Thanks !

2. chuckds

chuckds Certified Glock Armorer

With my Dillon 550 would take me 2.5 to 3 hours. I don't really try to see how fast I can reload. I enjoy reloading as much as I do shooting them.

3. General_Tso

General_Tso New Member

You can pump out straight wall pistol ammo about as fast as you can pull the handle.

Bottleneck rifle ammo is a different story. It's a major PITA IMO. If I had it all to do over again, I probably wouldn't even do 223. I'd just buy Tula.

223 is the only rifle cartridge that I do as of now.

4. TH3180

TH3180 New Member

Once I have my charge weight dialed in and I start rockin and rollin. I avaerage between 450-500 per hour on my 550.

5. If I was to ever get into reloading, I would only be interested in reloading 9mm, because thats all I own and all I care to shoot(other than my wife's Walther p22 or my son's Ruger 10/22), so what would be the best and least expensive setup to buy? Not looking to reload rounds by the thousands, just a few hundred ever so often, or just continue to buy cheap factory ammo?

6. RobertR13

RobertR13 Left

I run a Lee Classic Turret and can do 200-250 rounds and hour of any straight wall cartridge once I get the charge weight dialed in. I just got a set of pistol bullet feed dies and tubes from RCBS to drop in with Lee 3-die sets on it, so I'm thinking 300/hr once dialed in is well within reach this weekend. The slowest part will probably be filling the primer and bullet tubes. Can get about 40 bullets in each tube of 10mm, haven't tried the 9mm yet, and primers are 100 at a time. If you want higher production rates then full progressive is the only way to go. I have to pull the handle four times then set in a case for every round, so you could do 3-4 times the rounds an hour if you had enough primers stacked up and enough cases and bullets in feeders ready to go. If you went with something like the Hornady L-n-L with case and bullet feeders, and stocked it appropriately, 1000/hr is entirely possible.

7. EvilD

EvilD New Member

I use a Lee Pro 1000, I can do 400 rounds/hour

8. Captain

Captain New Member

IL
    IMO the best low cost set up for a beginner is a Lee Turret Press. http://leeprecision.com/4-hole-classic-turret-press.html Don't buy it directly from Lee unless you want to pay list price. Price id out at various online sources such as www.midwayusa.com, etc.

Low cost, easy to set up, quality constructed and an excellent choice for a beginner. For me 100 rounds about 35 min. on a Lee Turret without going for speed. (I check every 10th round for charge weight and COL)

Do a YouTube search for Lee Turret Press to see a whole bunch of videoas.

9. EvilD

EvilD New Member

This, but get and extra plastic collar, they break easily but are cheap and easy to replace.

10. General_Tso

General_Tso New Member

Yep. Can't go wrong with a Lee Turret Press. Very simple to use and set up.

11. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

First of all, let me say that I am an avid fan of reloading, and a dedicated promoter of the hobby as a support hobby to shooting.

Now, having said that, if all you need or want to load will be 9mm rounds, and at that "just a few hundred every so often", then reloading may not be the solution you are looking for.

To begin with, 9mm ammo is about the cheapest pistol caliber out there (other than .22LR). And some 9mm ammo is cheaper than others, especially if purchased in bulk quantities.

Then consider your investment in reloading equipment (a reloading press, the dies, powder dispenser if not a progressive press, a powder scale, calipers, shell holders, case boxes, reloading tray, a priming tool if not a progressive press, primer pocket brush, chamber and deburring tool, case tumbler and media, bullet chronograph, and books) as well as recurring investment in materials (primers, powder, bullets, and brass unless you pick up spent brass). The equipment alone can cost near to or over $1,000 for a decent progressive press.

And finally, consider the amount of time you will need to dedicate to reloading in order to produce sufficient quantities of ammo to make you happy. While a progressive press can crank out around (or over) 500 rounds an hour (or even more, depending on the press and the accessories for it!), you will always need to dedicate several hours just on case cleaning, prep, and inspection, then a couple of hours on developing your load (and test firing), then another couple of hours to actually produce the ammo in quantity.

Reloading is a rewarding and fun hobby, but it can become disgustingly boring at times. I know at least one shooter who got rid of his reloading equipment because he was disenchanted with the hobby. Reloading does not make your ammo free. It makes it cost less than retail price, and with the relatively inexpensive 9mm cartridge, the savings can only be realized in truly bulk quantities, and at that you are not paying yourself for your time.

Do not read this as me trying to discourage you, but rather as me showing the objective realities of reloading as a hobby, versus the intended caliber (9mm only). I reload for 9mm, .380Auto, .45ACP, .40S&W, .38SPL, .357magnum and .223Rem. For me, reloading is worth it in the quantities of ammo I shoot weekly, and as such, I enjoy it. I can tailor my loads to achieve max velocities specific for my guns, and I can load midline ammo for plinking and range fun.

Few things make me smile more than to go shooting with friends, and still have a couple thousand rounds of ammo in the car when my friends have all run out of their Walmart ammo! :D

Myself and others on the Forum are more than willing to help with advice and info, but these are questions you need to answer to yourself before you spend a single Dollar on reloading equipment:

1. Can I dedicate several hours of my spare time, perhaps every week or so, to reloading? Instead of spending it with family?
    2. Can I justify spending $1,000 on equipment, for a marginal savings per round for only 9mm?
    3. Do I want to get involved in the complicated reloading process, or simply pay for my ammo at a gun store?
    4. Do I plan on buying (and reloading) other calibers in the future?

If you answer YES to all (or at least, 1 thru 3), then reloading may be something you will enjoy.

Cheers!