Reloading the 40.

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by hacksaw1, Jan 14, 2012.

1. hacksaw1

hacksaw1 New Member

N.C>
    Is anyone reloading the 40 and have you had any problems?

I Cannot afford Gold so I carry the other precious Medal
    Lead just like master card never leave home with out it.

2. TimeKiller911

TimeKiller911 New Member

i reload 40 for my g23 weekly. never had any problems. what is your question or concern?

3. hacksaw1

hacksaw1 New Member

N.C>
    the case's splitting at the base, read about this but i also reload , only about 500 rds with no problems so far just read about the Kabooms that some have had.

4. sbg2340

sbg2340 New Member

reloads

It has always been a practice of mine to never use reloads of any kind, there have been many cases inwhich a failure to operate has been because of the use of Reloads , the splitting of the cartidge is due to the over loading of the power, this can also cause the gun to blow up in your face. factory loaded rounds are your safe'es loads to use of any caliber.

5. TimeKiller911

TimeKiller911 New Member

could be a few things causing that, more likely hot loads. another reason why i never use casings from the range. you never know how many times those cases have been reloaded.

6. hacksaw1

hacksaw1 New Member

N.C>
    Thanks again for the response all, i do reload and use the latest Data and Have not had any Kabooms, I always stay well below the Max load, and have had some good results with the rounds that i shoot , after reloading about 500 rds and shooting those rounds i read an article about Kabooms in the Glocks only. I have always knew that i was going to reload and had a very good habit of saving my case's. Finally got the reloading stuff and have been at it full tilt. I will reload only twice and get new brass .
    Thanks Again.
    I cannot afford precious metals like gold and silver but i can afford lead and i may be carrying a few troy ounces of it. Lead it is the only metal that increases value when you give it away.

7. wma3193

wma3193 New Member

I have been reloading for over 40 years. Have had a few problems with semi auto rifles (brass not sized correctly) very few problems with handguns. I don't use cast bullets in my Glocks, lead buildup at chamber mouth. Never any problems if brass is sized correctly and jacketed or plated bullets are used. I don't use range pickup brass. I reload for and shoot 9mm, 40S&W and .45ACP in my Glocks. I have been reloading for the Glocks for about 15 years. Don't know how many thousands of rounds of reloads I've run through the Glocks. I've worn out several recoil springs in my 19's & 23's. I have several of each. If you stick to loads in the manuals you shouldn't have any problems. I also use only "factory" ammo in my carry guns.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  8. I would echo some of the above opinions. Know what you are reloading. That means reload your own brass. Inspect everything before you reload it. Look over your brass, primers, powder, bullets, etc. Throw away anything that is not 100% right. If you want to shoot lead bullets, buy a aftermarket, button rifled barrel, such as a KKM or a broach cut Lone Wolf.
    Load reasonable rounds using information from reliable sources (read that "established manuals). Don't be in a hurry to load those +P rounds. You may find that shooting less powerful loads is more to your liking!
    Lastly, know that ammo from any source can go KABOOM! The only round that I have ever experienced exploding personally was a factory round. Wear protective clothing at the range: eye protection, a hat and a heavy long sleeve shirt or canvas coat is a good idea along with appropriate hearing protection.