Glock Firearms banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

ok...so I recently got off my butt and unpacked my Dillon that I had sitting in a box since 1999 (being MIL and moving around every few years - theres probably stuff I forgot I still have packed up). Anyway, I Just got off the phone with DP and ordered everything else that I would need to crank out 9mm and .45ACP (ouch :eek: - pay once cry once).

My next question has to do with primers, brass, bullets, powder.

Now I understand some of the above will depend on the cookbook. I would like to get a *general* idea of what the price was/is before Sandy Hook on these components. The intent would be to use the information you provide to determine if I am either getting a good deal or overpaying for some of these supplies as I seek them out.

Heres an analogy to help you understand where I am coming from: Say I am a brand new Glock shooter. I want to buy extra mags. I would like to know that I am paying $55 for what really is a $25 magazine before the buying craze.

So in summary, I would like to get an idea of the normal price range on the following in whatever packaged numbers they usually come in.

9mm/45ACP:

1. Primers
2. Brass
3. Bullets (ball)
4. Powder

Thanks

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Well here in NC primers were about $3 for 100. Powder about $28 for 1lb. And about $20 for 100 bullets. I get brass for free so im not sure about that.

·
8th Gen. Fla Cracker (not creepy though)
3,451 Posts
In early summer 2012, I paid $26.00 per thousand on large & small pistol primers, as well as small rifle. This, from Powder Valley. They still have those prices but seem to be out of stock more frequently. At the time of this post, they have in stock, large rifle primers but are out of small pistol and small rifle. This is not surprising since 9mm uses SP and .223/.556 uses SR. Both, very popular.

I have found a local honey hole for components and pay $30.00 per thousand. I am not sure what he was before the floodgates opened since I only recently found this connection. I am happy paying $30.00 because it is local. This fella has...let's just say...plenty of primers. The other reason I am okay with paying 30...when I can get them online for 26 is: I don't have to pay haz-mat fee of $27.00 per shipment. This is not a huge deal if you place a large enough order. It is $27.00 whether you order 1000 primers or 10,000. I am not sure what the quantity is where you would have to have separate shipments. There is, in fact, a "cut-off point". Obviously, the most beneficial thing to do in this case is to order as much product so you get the most out of your 27.00 haz-mat fee since it wouldn't be prudent to pay 27 bucks to have 1,000 primers shipped to you. That said, obviously cost is not solid since it depends on how much you order. I am not sure what the cut-off point is.

Winchester 231 powder was (early summer 2012) $17.25 for 1 lb. Currently, it is $17.60 and out of stock. Obviously the haz-mat fee applies here as well.

Berry's .45 ACP plated bullets (230 grain) were (early summer 2012) $36.35 for 250 count. This price is unchanged.

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great info thank you very much...at least now I will know what I'm looking at, and be able to make an informed decision to either make a purchase or keep looking.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts