Glock Firearms banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been working on a portable box and stand for the grandson's RCBS reloading press.
This is what I've gotten so far. The box holds all the basic parts to the press in hard foam with eggshell foam for cushioning.
The 1" cutting board is fastened to the box lid with Helicoil inserts and screws. Once the grandson decides how he wants the top laid out I'll install additional Helicoils in the cutting board to hold the press components in place. This way the press can easily be set up and taken down.
The stand will look kind of like a handicap walker with two shelves. The top shelf will hold the box and the bottom shelf will hold whatever and both will be held in place with bolts so the entire thing can be quickly set up and disassembled and stored in a closet and a small storage locker will hold all his other loading components; literature, powder, bullets, dies, primers, etc.
I'll post more pics when it's all done.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp...............
Rectangle Automotive exterior Wood Gas Paint Passive circuit component Circuit component Hardware programmer Electronic component Computer hardware

·
Grumpy Old Man
6,229 Posts
The beauty of this sort of set up, is that you can take it to the range with you. If you so desire to make up loads, whilst in the field as so to speak! In the days that I was out bush for great lengths of time, I carried my reloading gear with me.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The beauty of this sort of set up, is that you can take it to the range with you. If you so desire to make up loads, whilst in the field as so to speak! In the days that I was out bush for great lengths of time, I carried my reloading gear with me.
I'm going to put wheels on it so that it can be rolled around whether it's assembled or un-assembled. I figure the grandson, who is about to turn 18 and complete school, will be going out on his own soon; moving about and living in apartments and the like so I wanted him to have something fairly portable.
I think something like this would be handy for a number of uses. Hunters that stay out in the field for months at a time or shooters at a weekend event that want to be able to adjust their loads for shooting conditions and folks that live in caravans, motor-homes, and other places where space is limited.
A friend said I should patent it and start making and selling them but that's too much like work so I may patent it but sell the idea to a reloading equipment maker. :)
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp...................

·
Grumpy Old Man
6,229 Posts
You've put a lot of thought into this set up which is great! It's one of those cases of the Mk1 is perfect! Your Grandson is a very lucky young man!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
You've put a lot of thought into this set up which is great! It's one of those cases of the Mk1 is perfect! Your Grandson is a very lucky young man!
I spent close to 50 years working as an industrial and small engine tech. Now that I've retired I tend to sit around, sometimes over a pint or two, fabricating ideas in my mind of how to make things or make them better.
Rarely do I actually do anything with the ideas except to pass them on to others who many times develop them but on occasion I do get off my retired butt and make something. :D
Here are a couple ideas that actually became something. One is a long-gun stand for the range. A friend that works with wood made one for me in exchange for the idea so he could patent it. It keeps my long guns from getting scratched by shooting bench surfaces or out of the dirt if I'm shooting on the ground and they seem to cool off quicker too.
The wooden dowel allows me to adjust it to the length of whatever I'm shooting while the different depth grooves keep firearms level and prevent them from sliding off the stand.
Someday ;) I'll add a threaded connector to the center of the dowel, like a pool stick, to make it more compact and easier to carry in my range pack.
The other is an old scissor jack I made into a bench rest. Works great with plenty of adjustment. I found the pad in a discount bin at a local gun shop and the jack was in the garage when I bought my house.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp................
Wood Wood stain Hardwood Plank Tool Wood Gas Plywood Wood stain Hardwood Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior

·
Grumpy Old Man
6,229 Posts
Vehicle Automotive tire Water Building Wood

A Mate of mine did this years ago but with a wide plate welded to the base and a handle! We laughed like buggery at the idea. Until he suggested we try it out ! The local Auto Wrecking yard had a lot of sales of old scissor jacks not long after !

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
View attachment 257717

A Mate of mine did this years ago but with a wide plate welded to the base and a handle! We laughed like buggery at the idea. Until he suggested we try it out ! The local Auto Wrecking yard had a lot of sales of old scissor jacks not long after !
I thought of adding a plate to the bottom but decided against the additional weight and bulk and after using it realized it didn't really need the plate.
I get a lot of comments on it at the range and I know it's inspired people to make their own.
Easy and cheap to make and it works perfectly. What's not to like?
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp.................

1 - 7 of 7 Posts