Glock Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

· Banned
1,810 Posts
I normally run Lee Carbide dies and they work pretty well but by a twist of fate I ended up getting my 45acp set in the Hornady brand with the Titanium Nitrite insert and they're working pretty well so far. First set of non-Lee dies I've had in quite a while.
Oh, and another thing, Manuals, lots of different Manuals. Get all of em' if you can, Lee, Lyman, Hornady, Speer and the little free books that the powder manufactures put out. That way you'll have plenty of data to mull over when trying to figure out a load.

· Registered
479 Posts
Sounds like progressive is the recommendation of choice among many experienced loaders. Is there a fully automated system out there for private use? No manual anything except maybe loading the components into their respective auto-feed bins. That is, you'd simply "fill up the tanks" and hit the ON button.

Or would that be considered manufacturing?

· Banned
1,810 Posts
Just be sure you sort out your 45acp brass between small primer and large primer if you go with a progressive. Being a Single Stage user I have no such problem,LOL.

· Registered
13,458 Posts
Sounds like progressive is the recommendation of choice among many experienced loaders. Is there a fully automated system out there for private use? No manual anything except maybe loading the components into their respective auto-feed bins. That is, you'd simply "fill up the tanks" and hit the ON button.

Or would that be considered manufacturing?
Check out the pics Vince posted in this thread: http://www.glockforum.com/forum/f12/reloaders-dream-setup-2839/

That's a bulk reloader, cranks out like a thousand per hour, all you need to do is fill the parts hoppers (cases, primers, powder and bullets) and turn it ON....

· just wants to watch the world burn.
1,021 Posts
Happysniper1 said:
TN may be your best source for feedback on Lee products....I have no experience with them (only RCBS and Hornady).

Sorry.....
Question?.... the instantly change dies.... do those cover most calibers?

· Boost Rules
278 Posts
I've had a single stage for over twenty years and just broke down and bought the Hornady Lock-N-Load (with out the auto case and bullet feeds) this weekend.

On sale for 389 + shipping at Natchez. Plus 500 Free Bullets (pay $12 for shipping)

Here==> http://www.natchezss.com/product.cf...il&brand=PC&prodID=PC095100&prodTitle=Hornady

I'll still use the single stage for rifle reloading and other special/small runs.

As for time, Like HS1, I do everything in large batches. While waiting for the wife, I might have 15 minutes to kill. I can resize 200-300 pistol cases in that time. I don't count the time as I like reloading an enjoy the quit time. I can reload 50 rounds for $5-6 per 50. I have several hundred pouns of lead staged (free) so I'm looking at casting my own here soon so that will bring the cost per round down.

· Registered
13,458 Posts
Question?.... the instantly change dies.... do those cover most calibers?
The Hornady Lock-N-Load uses a die bushing that is basically just a twist-lock onto the die plate. You install the actual dies into the bushings, calibrate them once, and tighten the locking rings.

To change calibers, simply twist-unlock the installed dies, set them into their storage box, get the new caliber dies (which you would have already pre-calibrated), twist-lock into the die plate, replace the shell plate with the one for the appropriate caliber, and off ya go!

· Registered
13,458 Posts
The Hornady Lock-N-Load uses a die bushing that is basically just a twist-lock onto the die plate. You install the actual dies into the bushings, calibrate them once, and tighten the locking rings.

To change calibers, simply twist-unlock the installed dies, set them into their storage box, get the new caliber dies (which you would have already pre-calibrated), twist-lock into the die plate, replace the shell plate with the one for the appropriate caliber, and off ya go!
BTW, the bushings are designed to fit the Lock-N-Load system of reloading press, and will accept dies from Hornady, RCBS, Lee, and Dillon (that I know of for sure).

· just wants to watch the world burn.
1,021 Posts
Happysniper1 said:
BTW, the bushings are designed to fit the Lock-N-Load system of reloading press, and will accept dies from Hornady, RCBS, Lee, and Dillon (that I know of for sure).
Cool great info thanks!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.