Glock Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Premium Member
1,517 Posts
With the high prices of ammo and being a college student with my only income being the Army National Guard i am on a tight budget. I love to shoot and am looking into reloading but have some questions. My main question, will it be worth it to reload .45 ACP? If so how does one get started?
I hear ya pain. Costs have skyrocketed in the last five years for everything. Your not in this boat alone Jeremy. And we still need a hobby to some degree to help refresh ourselves from time to time.

Reloading and shooting are two good hobbies as they can provide us with a good skill, quality and quiet time. Not to mention we are helping to keep the shooting areas picked up and in general just good stewardship for our sport.

I know (well, at least I think I do) where your question is headed but before we get into cost and savings let's look at the first basic step.

Education

I think the number one reason more shooters don't reload is because they are untrained in how easy and safe it can be. Learning the procedures on any rig is as easy as throwing some hard earned cash at a distrubutor and jerking on their rig, making rounds. But many folks find out after buying the equipment, for whatever reason, it isn't what they need in the long run.

I would hate for you to go buy a SUV when what you really need is a small pickup truck. Reloading is alot like that. Simply put, do you just look into the future and ask, "What direction in my life is shooting going to go?" Sure. Then focus on the idea that you're going to only shoot pistols/revolvers or long guns. There are simple and complicated presses for all this alone, not to mention shotguns.

OK I've bore you enough, I would say pick up a cheap book that details reloading in general or maybe find a class that teaches the basic NRA Guide to Reloading. I help teach the latter one at my gun club. Prices for education, like the level of expertise, or instructor knowledge can vary so check around. But books can't get you the practical experience that hands on training provides. Buddy that is confidence just like what you get in the Guard!

But that is what I did and it gave me a solid ground plane to work from simply because I now know HOW to ask the stupid questions (and there's still none, really!) with some knowledge of the correct terms, procedures and safety factors involved.

As a basic reloader for the pistol and rifle rounds I use, I can utilize either a single or progressive reloader with confidence after briefly studing an owners manual.

Of course, safety is paramount. Safety is easy, if you guide it with education.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.