Glock Firearms banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a Windham (bushmaster) ar-15, already reload for my 19, 22 and 30 with Lee pro 1000 and a single stage. How much is involved going to a rifle round?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Lube every case and a lot more time hearing the tumbler run haha other than that it's pretty much the same as pistol rounds.

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
To add rifle calibers to your reloading kit, you will need the appropriate dies as well as a case trimmer.

Lubing the cases before resizing becomes a must. Easiest way (I have found) is to get a case holder and aerosol lube spray...line up cases in the holder tray, spray sparingly from at least two angles (I use Hornady aerosol case lube, but others work just as well, but stay away from Iosso pump-type lube, that stuff is nasty and dissolves the plastic trays), wait 30 seconds, then start decapping/sizing.

Then take your case length gauge (VERY important step!) and measure the cases to make sure none are over the max case length in your documentation (most load data guides will give min and max case lengths) and trim each case that is even 0.01 of an inch over.

Hornady case lube eventually dries out completely in not so humid air, so there is no real need to "wash" the lube residue off. I use ultrasonics, so I clean the cases after resizing and this removes any residual lube as well as any filth that may have attached to the case.

The rest of the steps are the same in basic principle as for straight-walled pistol ammo. Just watch out for the overall cartridge length, since this varies depending on both the bullet and the powder you are using.

Am not familiar with the Lee 1000 reloader, but if it is anything like my trusty old RCBS Rockchucker Supreme, the mechanics are identical with loading pistol ammo, with the sole exception of necessary lubing prior to sizing. I use the RCBS Competition .223 reloading die set which comes with the ram extender that also doubles as a case holder, and the bullets are fed thru the front/top of the seater die. Not cheap (I think they go for something slightly over $100 a set) but the mounting threads should be compatible wth your Lee reloader.

Hope that helps.

Cheers!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Good advice above. On re that is ignored is controlling the amount of shoulder bump. You want about 0.003 to 0.004 shoulder clearance and the easiest way to set that up is with the Hornady Head Space Gauge. With other adapters it will also let you adjust your bullet seating depth very easily.

Greg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts