Red laser vs green laser

Discussion in 'Optics / Sights / Lasers / Lights' started by azpacfan, Feb 18, 2012.

1. azpacfan

azpacfan New Member

Have been thinking of getting a laser for my 23. , those of you out there that have one can you tell me which would be better?? I have heard the green shows up better in sunlight , and here in S Az , wel we have a lot of sunlight . Any ideas

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

I also heard that green is more visible under bright sunlight...

3. MikeV826

MikeV826 New Member

4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

I got a few NcStar products myself...a red dot and a 4x red/green illuminated reticle...

Cheap...and some people really hate 'em...but they have held up for years...and do the job !!

YMMV...;)

5. sigpi11

sigpi11 New Member

Green does show up better in light but battery power is short with the green laser.

6. Boracay

Boracay ʎ ɐ ɔ ɐ ᴚ o

I have a Viridian GLK (best fit on standard frame). Its really bright during daylight. They have C5 series for your G23. The best part, they have their own kydex holster compatible for your G23 w/ laser. They also have a laser light combo if you opt to. Check their site HERE. Watch their videos - A walk in the woods.

**A lil bit pricey, but you get what you paid for. Don't buy on their Web. You can get it cheaper somewhere.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  7. knuck

knuck New Member

If im not mistaken, something I read quite a long time ago was that...It's actually very hard for someone with perfect vision or corrected vision (glasses/contacts) to lose sight of the color green. But like I said, I'm not 100% sure on that.

8. Hamster

Hamster New Member

It's not a laser but, I have a red/green dot sight on one of my rifles and the green is much easier to see in bright sunlight.

9. kodiak

kodiak Active Member

Yes the green is much more visible.

10. MiguelAngel

MiguelAngel New Member

The projection of green at night is more visible and longer range. This past summer I took my kids camping and at night they had college students " Astrology class" ??? University of Wisconsin. But they where pointing at stars among other stuff with the green laser. I dont know. You can totally see where they were pointing. Id go green. By what Im reading,it also works great at day..

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  11. MiguelAngel

MiguelAngel New Member

:-\ ,,,,,,,

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  12. c1328chase

c1328chase Member

For the G23, look into the Viridian C5L. It's smaller than the G5 and it is my next planned purchase. I have a G27, I want to trade it for a 24 then get the C5L

13. Gryphon-tested

Gryphon-tested New Member

About the only time in home defense our recreation that a red is more useful than a green is when opting for a lower profile... The green almost glows in the dark and also has that lower battery life. Overall, its about price, preference and usage...

14. purplefred2

purplefred2 New Member

I've had both the Red & Green Lasers on my Glock 22. The Green laser is a 100 times brighter. But thats my preference. Go to a Gun Shop & have a look at both.

15. Phishead

Phishead New Member

I would spend my money on good glow in the dark sight with a DIFFERENT color front sight from the back. Make the back on adjustable if the price is right. By the time you fumble with finding and pressing a laser button/switch, you could have rounds going "down range". In low or darkness lasers give you away. White dots leave you clueless in very dark situations. How do you know if the front dot is between the two rear dots or to the left or right equally spaced? You don't. Don't get me wrong, I bought several Crimson Trace lasers and they are nice but on a pocket pistol they are not worth the effort. You are up close and personal when you need it so if you need a laser you need more practice IMO. Try somebody's out and see if you get a shot group close to the laser. I agree it gives you a psychological boost thinking the invader will be scared off by the laser. There is a lot of documented truth to that. You may be able to bluff with a $5 laser pen too and have fun watching your dog chase it. There was a lot of good advice above by others. I just wanted to offer an alternative or you could do both. Good luck and happy plinking

16. Gryphon-tested

Gryphon-tested New Member

Touche. Lasers are overpriced, and give away your position... I am at a large army post, and half of the reported B&E's are by soldiers who typically aren't dummies... Granted you'd have to be dumb to randomly break into a household, but I agree that tactical advantage and confidence beats mystical lights and encumbrance...

17. The military changed to green. Why? It is visible more clearly and evident across the light spectrum. So in plain english you will see the green more and more clearly then you see red. It is scientific fact and not open for debate or argument.

18. I don't put a price on the safety of my family. In a potentially newly awakened state I will take any advantage to ensure my bullet hits it's mark.

Also it only gives away your position if it is always on. Grip or trigger activiated lasers used properly are simply activated during the firing process, giving you confirmation of aim not a tool to acquire aim. In this they simply cannot give away any type of tactical advantage.

19. knuck

knuck New Member

^This! :cool:

20. c1328chase

c1328chase Member

Who cares if they give away your position! When you are being attacked or confronting someone breaking into your home. They know where you are, right in front of them! By the time you are running your gun you'll probably be running your mouth and your feet too. (yelling, threats, posturing, advancing, retreating, moving to cover/concealment). When employing any weapon system as a response to an already existing threat, if that laser can allow you to get your shot off before you have proper grip, draw, sight alignment, sight picture, and all the other stuff necessary for accurate, consistent, and speedy groupings. Then you sir, have the advantage. If you're fighting fair, you're not fighting to win. Why not give yourself an "unfair advantage"?

The on off switch for most light/lasers is almost exactly where you finger will be resting when not on the trigger, we shouldn't have to discuss the rules of gun safety with this group. The reality of one "fumbling" to activate a light/laser is simply not true. It's a tap, a flick, a touch, or a slip of a finger tip.