Glock Firearms banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to setup my EDC Glock 19.5 MOS with a red dot. It's going to be my 2nd red dot - I'm currently using a Sig Romeo 1 Pro with a 3 MOA dot. I love what it does for me enough to consider changing my EDC from irons to red dot.

I'm probably going to spring for a Trijicon RMR for obvious reasons. I'm stuck on the dot size, though. It comes in 3.25 MOA or 6.5 MOA and I'd like to pick wisely.

I recently read somewhere (was it here?) that since pistols ain't rifles (duh), and it's for EDC use, the larger red dot is easier to pick up in a hurry and won't obscure the target.

Thoughts? The argument for a larger MOA dot seems compelling to me.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
If you care about speed of draw and getting the first shot in very quickly, then for pistol you want the larger MOA dot. If you are shooting at a box target from behind a bench holding on target, it doesn't matter. And keep in mind that a 6 MOA dot only appears as .6" in diameter at 10 yards and only .3" in diameter at 5 yards.

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Both good points. My concern is draw speed and getting the first shot asap. Blades, I like the 3 MOA just fine, and I'm quickly finding my way to a consistent draw with dry fire and range time - quickly enough so I can tell I will eventually have a draw I can depend on.
Six, your math is exactly right - 6 MOA at 5 yards is a comfortable area to cover. Still, I could dial up the brightness of a 3.25 MOA dot by one or two clicks, and make the dot appear larger. But I don't think the reverse is true.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
If you care about speed of draw and getting the first shot in very quickly, then for pistol you want the larger MOA dot. If you are shooting at a box target from behind a bench holding on target, it doesn't matter. And keep in mind that a 6 MOA dot only appears as .6" in diameter at 10 yards and only .3" in diameter at 5 yards.
Listen to Six. He knows his stuff.

Six,
So based on your first sentence, for self-defense, a larger dot is better because one wants that first shot out quickly and accurately. Correct?

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
^^^ Yup. The larger dot is much easier to find quicker and there is no advantage to shooting slower and missing..... Now for a rifle or PCC, yea a 1-3 dot MOA is better. If your dot does go down, just frame the target with the window.

Years ago I did some first shot times double taps (from concealment) using my 7 MOA dot, my kids 3 MOA dot, a borrowed 1 MOA dot, black on black irons and no sights at all, all G17's, at 5 yards. Well, no sights at all was by far the fastest, then irons, 7, 3, then 1. That held for 7 yards. At 10 yards, and at 15 yards, irons, dots (in the same order) and no sights. At 25 yards, 3, 7, 1, irons then no sights. The scoring system used points was time plus points. So a bit accuracy favored to start with.

However what dot size you choose, make sure to do live fire drills so you can get your draw down and on target using full house ammo from the holster you carry in outfit you carry. To be clear, I do not carry a dot gun, even though several departments around here have authorized it's use.

·
Glockin’ since 1993
39,431 Posts
^^^ Yup. The larger dot is much easier to find quicker and there is no advantage to shooting slower and missing..... Now for a rifle or PCC, yea a 1-3 dot MOA is better. If your dot does go down, just frame the target with the window.

Years ago I did some first shot times double taps (from concealment) using my 7 MOA dot, my kids 3 MOA dot, a borrowed 1 MOA dot, black on black irons and no sights at all, all G17's, at 5 yards. Well, no sights at all was by far the fastest, then irons, 7, 3, then 1. That held for 7 yards. At 10 yards, and at 15 yards, irons, dots (in the same order) and no sights. At 25 yards, 3, 7, 1, irons then no sights. The scoring system used points was time plus points. So a bit accuracy favored to start with.

However what dot size you choose, make sure to do live fire drills so you can get your draw down and on target using full house ammo from the holster you carry in outfit you carry. To be clear, I do not carry a dot gun, even though several departments around here have authorized it's use.
Have you thought about making the leap to red dot CCW? Or just set in your ways, why change?😁

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
Have you thought about making the leap to red dot CCW? Or just set in your ways, why change?😁
Both, actually. Our department does not restrict dots, so I can just switch out top ends and go (and have done occasionally). But I would like to get some low light drills in and see what that looks light. Dots do have issues, one is looking into the sun at a certain angle, they glare out the glass. The biggest thing is still drawing to a dot, that takes constant practice, sorta anti point shooting, if you will.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've been thinking about getting into red dots for ccw, but everyone on the internet is like "Your training and experience will go out the window! Doom! Doom!" So, I haven't taken the plunge yet.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
I've been thinking about getting into red dots for ccw, but everyone on the internet is like "Your training and experience will go out the window! Doom! Doom!" So, I haven't taken the plunge yet.
The internet is just a digital channel for streaming shieete. You still have to find the dot, just like the front sight.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I agree that on a CCW bigger is better. The larger the dot the quicker it is to pick up. With all dots the secret to success is dry fire practice. Do it often. I just picked up a Sig P320 Compact with a Romeo-1 Pro 6-moa. For me I would not want anything smaller than a 6-moa on a self defense weapon. I sighted in at 15 yards on a USPSA target. At 25 yards I had no trouble making 14 out of 15 "head shots (upper A-zone). At 40 yards on the main target 11-A's and 4-C's. For a compact I am more than satisfied with those results.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts