Red Dot Optic

Discussion in 'Optics / Sights / Lasers / Lights' started by djg1965, Jun 26, 2020.

1. SJ 40

SJ 40 Member

2. Mikey759

Mikey759 New Member

I own 5 Glock have a Red Dot on my Glock 45 and it’s the best thing. You do have to get used to the Dot but once you do, it’s awesome. I also ordered a Glock 17 MOs and I have a Trijicon RMR waiting for it.

3. benchmstr

benchmstr New Member

I have grand mastered in carry optics division and have been an open division shooter in the past.

I have also carried a slide mounted red dot on a duty weapon since 2015 and trained a lot of people with it.

it is a fantastic tool to use for any experienced shooter. However, if you haven’t yet mastered the fundamentals and aren’t quite **** hot with ironS the learning curve will be slow and frustrating without proper instructions.

It isn’t impossible for a newbie to pick up a dot with proper instruction...it’s just slower. I firmly believe red dots on a rifle can be learned before irons with zero difficulty, not so much with a handgun. But once you get the hang of it nothing is faster.

bench

Danzig and NWG40 like this.
  4. SixG17s

SixG17s Well-Known Member Supporter

5. VideoDude22

VideoDude22 New Member

The dot is fast but you will need to put time in dry firing to get your speed up so you are not searching for the dot.

6. KELSW

KELSW Member

I have a 17 MOS with a Vortex Venom . With a glock you have to tilt down the muzzle a little for finding the dot . No need for iron sights (I prefer no irons) . Shooting a dot is nothing like iron sights . Looking at the target vs the dot helps . My red dot did come loose at about 500 rounds . I have C&H precision plate have not put on yet but it should help it from getting loose . All kinds of ideas on zeroing on youtube . Bore sight is quick .

7. NWG40

NWG40 Well-Known Member Supporter

You'll love the C&H precision plate. I have one on my G40 and after shooting 500+ rounds of Underwood it hasn't come loose yet. Install oer instructions and it's a "set and forget" kinda thing.

8. MamboMedic

MamboMedic Well-Known Member Supporter

Have a Gen5 G19 MOS with a Vortex Venom on it. You do need to tweak your grip to drop the barrel a little to see the dot but as everyone else said... dry fire, dry fire, dry fire..
    I like the Venom- they have a no questions asked, don’t worry about finding your receipt warranty. I learned they do back it up as I broke my optic only a couple months after getting it.
    3D2241BE-8FA3-44DC-ADA8-E05B83BFCB89.jpeg

9. Chris McMeen

Chris McMeen New Member

A couple additional points: I found the 3 MOA Venom insufficient in sunlight for USPSA competition, but my 3 MOA Sig Romeo 3XL is plenty bright... point being the numbers don't mean they are the same. Agreed on the Vortex warranty, sent three of them back and received new back each time...one broke at around 12k rounds, another at only 2k. The Romeo just crossed 10k. They will all break eventually if you shoot enough. Get one, dry fire your index, you'll love it, and unless you mill, you can always go back.

Danzig likes this.
  10. Richard Davis

Richard Davis Well-Known Member

It is a training issue, and as a couple people already said, draw and dry fire alot. Look through the glass AT the target - don't "look for the dot", and the dot will appear. This kinda sounds counter intuitive, but it works. IF you go with suppressor height sights, I would practice like the Dickens without them and perfect this before putting the sights on. Or go, like I did, with a set KNS/Dead Air flip up Glock suppressor/red dot sights.

11. I LOVE my Vortex Venom 3 MOA, which is installed on my Glock 19 Gen 5 MOS. My vision without glasses sucks, and I wear progressive lenses, which makes focusing on the front iron sight difficult (I have to hold my head at an awkward angle so the "right" spot of the eyeglass lens is lined up with the front sight). with the red dot, I don't have that issue.

I agree that finding the dot sometimes can be a little challenging, but regular practicing makes it a lot easier. I do wonder whether I would have been better off with the 6 MOA, but at this point I'm used to the 3 MOA.

Incidentally, my M&P Shield 2.0 has a built-in Crimson Trace laser. For the past month or so, I've been practicing holster draws that include turning on the laser so I don't have to use the iron sights on that gun. I haven't done any time comparisons yet, but I believe I'm faster (and more accurate) using the laser than trying to line up the iron sights.