Recommmended Shooter Education Courses

Discussion in 'Training Forum' started by Shooter, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member

I'm looking for shooter education course you have taken. Something that my wife and I could take together would be preferred.

I've done some research, but I don't think you can an honest opinion from a site selling you something, so I turn to you guys.

2. jfirecops

jfirecops New Member

What part of the country are you in, how far are you willing to travel, and do you have any experience so far?

3. A couple to maybe investigate...

Within your local area, there should be at least one store that supplies/sells firearms. Wether that be a mom-n-pop gun store/range, Gander Mountain, Scheels, Bass Pro, etc., they all offer classes of various kinds.
    NRA pistol saftey, Defensive Pistol, Tactical pistol, Concelaed carry, Open carry, Various Hunting saftey, security...the list goes on. Call around to the stores or talk to other firearm owners in your area.

Through our local store/range, My wife and I took the NRA basic pistol saftey class years ago. For a husband/wife to do that together was pleasent and we enjoyed learing the in's-and-out's of firearm saftey, laws specific to our area, shooting saftey and skills, basic ballistics, and transportation (again, specific to our nazi-regime state) of firearms.

From there I've taken several Defensive pistol classes on my own at our local range and enjoyed every minute of it. The skills that you are taught are mind-blowing- but perishable. Thats why I come back year after year to refresh what I've learned (or forgotten).:D

4. Shooter

Texas, they are everywhere. I constantly see people advertising their classes but never get any feedback on them.

I'm willing to travel a little ways for a program that I know is good, that's why I'm thinking something on the national level would be good for me.

5. jfirecops

jfirecops New Member

That Helps, thanks for responding. If you have no training at all, maybe start with a NRA Basic pistol and Defense in the home, defense out of the home, or a local range will have some type of basic course to take.

For more advance you have Gunsite, in Paulden, AZ. Gunsite was one of the first and a lot of schools elsewhere base their programs on some things learned from here. <http://www.gunsite.com>

A place called Tactical Response teaches classes from Camden, TN, but they teach several classes each year in Bastrop, TX. This is not a beginner handgun course, but a relevant defensive shooting course and a lot of fun. <http://www.tacticalresponse.com>

Paul Gomez has a private school that travels and he also holds classes in Bastrop. <http://gomez-training.com> In fact, he will be there in January. Paul is one of the best instructors I have dealt with over the years and one of the best values I have seen in a course. He does a great job teaching how to defend yourself and dealing with common issues from medical to malfunctions that may come up during a real gunfight depending on which class you take. He also has some good youtube videos if you want to check him out.

Either one of these schools will teach you a lot if you are willing to learn from them. I am suretwo their are more in your area, these are just the two I personally know. Just let me know if you have any questions about either one.

6. As an instructor, my best advice would be to start at the basics and work your way up. An NRA Basic Pistol course provides an excellent foundation for more advanced skills. Check the NRA's website for listed classes in your area. Plus, you can call the NRA and get recommendations on instructors in your area so you know you;ll be getting a good one.

7. Shooter

Great responses, thanks guys!

8. Front Sight courses are highly recommended.

9. jlw

jlw New Member

I also suggest working your way through the NRA Basic, Personal Protection In The Home, and Personal Protection Outside of the Home courses, but I do suggest that you look into the credentials of the instructor. The NRA instructor certifications really aren't that hard to get, and there are some charlatans out there who get the certifications simply to try to get some sort of credibility.

10. jfirecops

jfirecops New Member

I agree with this. There was two people in my instructor class that had only been shooting for 3 months and their only experiences was the NRA course taken before the instructor course. They can teach you the basics of gun safety, but that is about all.

11. jlw

jlw New Member

There were a couple in my Basic Pistol instructor class that were in that category. What concerns me more is the jacklegs that get the NRA certifications and then start trying to push all sorts of "tactical" classes with no qualifications to do so.

12. jfirecops

jfirecops New Member

Yea, I think there should be higher qualifications before being able to instruct some classes. Someone that has never seen combat, domestic or foreign, should not teach those level of classes. Unfortunately, anyone with enough time and money can have their own "tactical" shooting school.

13. dillonsai150

dillonsai150 New Member

I have to agree, Some instructors seem to have little to no real world experience. I also think the standard for passing the firearms classes for civil, security, and law should be raised.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  14. warpipe

warpipe New Member

I had a great time at front site in NV

15. series11

series11 Hail Commifornia Lifetime Supporting Member

I have to agree fully. Frontsight is a great place to go and they are offering discounted courses here and there. They would work with you and your wife and are very friendly not like a boot camp. I plan to take my wife there. I am a rifle shooter and my pistol was always a tool I would use to get to my rifle (I never had formal pistol training), but after that course I feel comfortable using a pistol to defend my home. My uncle is thinking (with some influence from me) to get a Glock 22 and I just got him a 4 day course so now he will know how to use it.

16. G-23

G-23 Premium Member

Massad Ayoob Group -

August

MAG/40:

This is an intense, four-day, 40-hour immersion course in the “rules of engagement” for armed law-abiding private citizens. The course emphasizes legal issues, tactical issues, and aftermath management. Topics will include interacting with suspects, witnesses, responding police officers, threat recognition and mind-set, and the management of the social and psychological aftermath of having to use lethal force in defense of self or others. Also covered is preparing beforehand for legal repercussions and minimizing your exposure to them. Situations in the home, at the place of business, or “on the street” will all be covered. Range work will include instruction in the use of the defensive handgun under extreme stress. Drawing from concealment, two-handed stances, shooting from cover, one-handed stances with either hand, speed reloading, and more are taught with an overall emphasis on fast, accurate shot placement. The course will culminate with a written examination covering the classroom topics and a police-style handgun qualification course. Equipment List. Cost: $800

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  17. 23or22or27

23or22or27 Junior Member

In addition to an actual class, I keep my mind fresh by watching "The Art of the Dynamic Handgun," by Magpul Dynamics. Awesome video and the two instructors have left Magpul Dynamics and have started their own companies. I subscribe to all three of the organizations Facebook pages and receive tips and tricks. The videos are no substitute for live training, but it helps.

18. SeventiesWreckers

SeventiesWreckers Load Bearing Wall

The Civilian Marksmanship Program, or CMP, was founded in 1903 with the mission,
    "To Promote Firearm Safety and Marksmanship Training With an Emphasis on Youth".

They are still up & running, and can be accessed through local gun clubs that are affiliates. Just go to their web page to get a list of affiliated organizations in your area. They have programs & training for all ages & skill levels. Here's a link: http://www.odcmp.com/

19. Paul Gomez died Late May / Early June. He was a hell of a person and world class shooting instructor and his passing is a tremendous loss for the shooting community. He will be sorely missed. Gods speed Paul!

20. G1NINER

G1NINER New Member

Concealed Carry Academy (Owner/Instructor is Ex-L.E.O. & Ex-C.I.A.)
    & Gunsite, of course.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012