Recommendation for First Holster G23

Discussion in 'Holsters and Cases' started by geeteeohh, Mar 15, 2012.

1. geeteeohh

geeteeohh Member

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to get for my first holster for a G23. I'd like something that would be secure enough when riding 4 wheelers, and also could be concealed if necessary. Maybe I should be looking for a couple of different bolsters for each specific purpose.

So would it be best to look at an OWB type holster, that had some kind of strap that snaps down? Sorry but I just don't have a clue.

2. My favorite is the Blackhawk Serpa. It's an OWB, but it can be concealed with a loose shirt or jacket.

3. RES17CUE

RES17CUE New Member

The Blackhawk is nice but for OWB I have become a big fan of the Safariland ALS. The Blackhawks finger release is sometimes difficult to find in high stress situations. The thumb break on the Safariland is quick and it has great retention. Plus it's felt-lined so the finish stays good.

For IWB I love my White Hat Max Tuck.

Just try some different holsters and you will find what you like

4. JollyTrooper

JollyTrooper New Member

Blackhawk Serpa...

Love it

Love it

Love it!

5. glockguy13

glockguy13 New Member

does that scratch your gun up?I have the fz on it i don't know how it will do with that.

6. Ryan92

Ryan92 New Member

Love my Milt Sparks.

7. Glockmaster

Glockmaster New Member

N82 Tactical Professional this is my GEN 4 27 but the holster is made for my GEN4 23! Very nice.

Attached Files:

8. jimmyalbrecht

jimmyalbrecht Glockn Rollin

I have a White Hat Holster Maxtuck for my CC, and a cheap Blackhawk! with level 2 retention thumbreak from Wal-Mart. It will in fact stay in place while riding a four-wheeler because I have done it. It is a simple holster, OWB, and it gets the job done. It protects my gun and the trigger.

9. JollyTrooper

JollyTrooper New Member

No scratching on the stock finish whatsoever.

As far as draw...practice, practice, practice. My fingers know exactly what to do. Very quickly at that.

10. rivalarrival

rivalarrival Are we there yet?

I'll throw in with the Blackhawk Serpa crowd. I carry OWB all the time with the Sportster model, a paddle holster. Simple, fairly inexpensive, and plenty secure

11. TheDanielism

TheDanielism New Member

Blackhawk Serpa for sure.

I know someone who has a Gen 2 G17 which he holsters in the old Glock polymer holster which seems more abrasive than the serpa, and his finish is still in great shape. His gun is over 15 years old, I think a plastic holster will be fine.

12. series11

series11 Hail Commifornia Lifetime Supporting Member

I like my Fobus holster and will go with Foxx holsters for concealed carry

13. geeteeohh

geeteeohh Member

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. I think I will try the Safariland ALS or Blackhawks Serpa for starters. They are cheap enough, so if I don't like can try something else.

14. Ryan92

Ryan92 New Member

A wise man once told me "Buy once, Cry once." Buy a GOOD holster and a GOOD belt right from the start.

15. hoag556

hoag556 New Member

The galco king tuck . Grate holster . I carry every day and use this holster with my g27 .looks funny but works

16. vindicated

vindicated ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Serpa holsters are garbage (honest no offense to anyone, it's all opinion). I would buy a Fobus before I paid the money for a Serpa. The Safariland ALS holsters are nice, and you will be amazed at how fast you can defeat the retention with just a little practice. The suede lining is nice too. They are as slim as they state, and can actually be concealed under a light jacket.

I will add, as well, this holster does not dig into the hip as with some others. It is super comfortable when sitting. Oh, and I would shy away from leather holsters as much as possible. They retain moisture, which is one reason why I will never buy one.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  17. Mustang1956

Mustang1956 New Member

I have a Blackhawk Serpa as well. They're designed for the specific gun and the locking mechanism works very well. The release is right where your finger wants to go so with practice you should have no problem.
    http://www.blackhawk.com/catalog/Holsters,16.htm

I've also just ordered a MIC holster for IWB. It looks like something that will work well for me in the warmer month. I'll have to get back to everyone on how that works out.
    http://www.glocktech.com/

18. Glockmaster

Glockmaster New Member

Here's a couple I use for my GEN 4 23.

Attached Files:

19. Glockmaster

Glockmaster New Member

My first was the FOBUS paddle holster with the double mag holder. Can't go wrong with a FOBUS! They run around $ 20.00 a piece.

Attached Files:

20. hoag556

hoag556 New Member

Mic holster is okay I just don't like the idea of perspiration on my weapon . I own 1 and have used it for a long time . and this is no joke make sure you practice practice practice .it is something that you will have to get use to drawing your weapon you really have to use force when drawing your weapon.