Glock Firearms banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Hail Commifornia
6,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking abotu building an AR and have been looking at a Spike's stripped lower for right now. Anyone experienced in different lowers give me a good recommendation on a lower to begin with or does it even really matter as it is the inner workings that tend to be the most important? Thanks for your advice.:)

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
series11 said:
I'm thinking abotu building an AR and have been looking at a Spike's stripped lower for right now. Anyone experienced in different lowers give me a good recommendation on a lower to begin with or does it even really matter as it is the inner workings that tend to be the most important? Thanks for your advice.:)
I built my 1st AR with a Spikes. Love it. It's affordable and still made just as well as the rest out there. I looked at others but just found Spikes to be as good. Unless you want a billet lower, those are expensive and yes, its more internal than external. It all really depends on you; how you want your setup and how much money you can spend. Check out Rifle Gear, that's where I picked up my lower and all my parts.

·
Hail Commifornia
6,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I built my 1st AR with a Spikes. Love it. It's affordable and still made just as well as the rest out there. I looked at others but just found Spikes to be as good. Unless you want a billet lower, those are expensive and yes, its more internal than external. It all really depends on you; how you want your setup and how much money you can spend. Check out Rifle Gear, that's where I picked up my lower and all my parts.
I got my Kriss from Riflegear. Thanks I'll look there and probably look at Spikes to save for.

·
Hiding in plain sight....
18,120 Posts
Palmetto State Armory is who I get just about ALL of my AR parts from. I just built one of their lowers, and so far no issues.
Spikes are great too.

As long as it is Mil-spec, then you can get any lower you want. Find whatever design on the side that you like, and go with it!

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
series11 said:
I got my Kriss from Riflegear. Thanks I'll look there and probably look at Spikes to save for.
Ooh how do you like your Kriss? I saw them in their store, looks bad a$$. Yea they normally have good deals for lowers. Plus they sell everything else to build it.

·
Hail Commifornia
6,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ooh how do you like your Kriss? I saw them in their store, looks bad a$$. Yea they normally have good deals for lowers. Plus they sell everything else to build it.
I love my Kriss. I wish I wan't in CA though so I could get 30rd mags and not have a bullet button. Shooting her is beautiful though. I also like that I can switch mage between the Kriss, G21, and G30.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
series11 said:
I love my Kriss. I wish I wan't in CA though so I could get 30rd mags and not have a bullet button. Shooting her is beautiful though. I also like that I can switch mage between the Kriss, G21, and G30.
I'm in CA too, freakin sucks. Yea I have an AR with a bullet button too and with everything going on it might be completely illegal soon.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
chilly613 said:
I'm in CA too, freakin sucks. Yea I have an AR with a bullet button too and with everything going on it might be completely illegal soon.
Never mind, the bill got killed in committee... That's a win for CA gun owners! :D

·
Hail Commifornia
6,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Never mind, the bill got killed in committee... That's a win for CA gun owners! :D
Yeah I wrote Senator Yee and the others... Got a bunch of pre made crap back. "Guns have killed 500,000 people in the world..." Blah... blah... blah... How many have texting and drunk drivers killed?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
series11 said:
Yeah I wrote Senator Yee and the others... Got a bunch of pre made crap back. "Guns have killed 500,000 people in the world..." Blah... blah... blah... How many have texting and drunk drivers killed?
Exactly... Damn liberal tree hugging hippies! More people die behind the wheel of a car... Where's that proposed ban?

·
Load Bearing Wall
4,095 Posts
Meanwhile, just across the border.

U.S. Firearms Academy here in Reno, Nv makes a couple of good looking AR's, and I've been meaning to ask HappySniper if he's had any experience with them, because I've been feeling the urge to own another AR. I do like Colts, but tend to agree that they seem to be a bit pricy, and trade on name recognition perhaps a bit more than they should. U.S.F.A is a nice little LGS, and the guys there have always been helpful & friendly, they also run ammo discounts every week, which is nice too.

Store links: http://www.usfirearmsacademy.com/
And- http://www.battlebornusa.com/

Here's a vid of their offering, a taste heavy on the sales pitch, but still informative. Gotta try to support the little guys if they measure up.

[ame]http://youtu.be/hatZU9bKM5s[/ame]

·
Registered
227 Posts

I went with a very low cost complete lower that I got for $99 a few months ago and it had been sitting in my closet while I was assembling my uppers. Finally I had a chance to use it about 2 months ago with 2 separate uppers (a 24" bull barrel 5.56 1:9 and a 16" light weight 5.56 1:7) and have been VERY pleased with the results.

I love having a working, pre-assembled lower in hand, so that if/when I build my own from parts etc, I'll have a functionally flawless one for reference if needed. For me a low cost one was a great way to start on my first AR, along with lifetime warranty on it...

FYI this is the complete lower I got but if you buy from these guys, the s/h is free to your FFL...

You can't see clearly but this is how the lower looks on my uppers...

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'm a huge fan of Spike's. Got more than 10 lowers of all Spike's rollmarks from aimsurplus.com and joebob. Highly recommended Spike's.

·
Registered
205 Posts
U don't have to monitor it's web site. Just subscribe yourself into their mailing list. They will email you for any deals.
Shipping is cheap but on average it takes 2 weeks to get your order from the day the order was placed.

·
Hiding in plain sight....
18,120 Posts
okdonk said:
U don't have to monitor it's web site. Just subscribe yourself into their mailing list. They will email you for any deals.
Shipping is cheap but on average it takes 2 weeks to get your order from the day the order was placed.
They are a little slow on shipping! I have yet to find lower build kits with as many options and choices as PSA!

·
Registered
205 Posts
KeenansGarage said:
They are a little slow on shipping! I have yet to find lower build kits with as many options and choices as PSA!
Absolutely agree on their slow shipping. Free or paid shipping makes no difference, takes 2 weeks from placing and receiving my orders on average. But i highly recommend their LPK. To me IMO, LPK is just a bunch of detents, springs and pins. Why should pay more just because of a branded name? They work great on my builds so far.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts