Glock Forum banner

recoil spring weight???

24K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  aDave 
#1 ·
I just saw a set of recoil spring assemblies on glockstore that had "custom" spring weights to tune your competition gun.....they range from 14lbs to 22lbs? Can anyone explain how this would tune my gun what the benefits are?

#5 ·
Recoil spring should be dictated by the ammunition you're using, not by what just feels nice. A 14lb spring in a G20 shooting 230gr bear stoppers would not be good for the longevity of the gun. However, if you're using a G17 with 90 - 115gr light target loads then you absolutely could go down from the stock 17lb spring. If you're using a G24 with 6" 9mm conversion barrel and 90gr target loads then a 14lb spring not even be light enough.

#11 ·
And the slide...

I use a 14# spring in my 34 with 124 grain bullets hitting just over 1000 fps for the minimum USPSA powder factor of 125, I get about 127 out of them. They won't cycle a stock spring. As Robert pointed out, you match the spring to the ammo.
My guess is your 124 gr 1000 fps cartridges will reliably cycle smaller stock pistols that have inherently lighter slides.

With bullet weights ranging from 90 gr to 147 gr, my G26.3 and converted G27.3 cycle reliably with stock 16 lb recoil springs down to an IPSC PF of about 112.

The cartridge provides a certain amount of force to compress the recoil spring assembly and move the slide. To maintain the balance of force and 'pushback', as the weight of the slide increases, the spring weight of the recoil spring assembly must decrease... or the power factor of the cartridge must increase.

All three, the cartridge, the recoil spring assembly, and the slide, must be considered when 'fine tuning' the cycling of competition pistols.

Hope this helps... :D

Best regards,

Bob :)

#12 ·
Other factor that effect spring weight selection are slide modifications (slide cuts to lighten the slide) and compensators. A lightened slide has less weight to drive rearward so a lighter spring may be needed. A compensated barrel has less gas pressure to cycle the slide and may also need a lighter spring to allow the slide to fully cycle properly. Finding the right recoil spring weight can be a pain in the you know what. As mentioned different bullet weights and velocities have to be put into the mix. But when you do find that sweet spot it greatly enhances the performance of a competition handgun.

#16 ·
Depends on the ammo, and what the end use is for. In competition, you go as low as possible in spring weight that will still cycle, and meet the power floor. For hunting, or SD, I actually go higher to minimize the brutal recoil. 22lb spring in my G20, and 20lb springs in my G31s. The old way of adjusting spring weight was to just start cutting coils until it wouldn't cycle, then use a new spring with 2 more coils.

#17 ·
Frank, most Glocks will run on lighter springs. If you are not planning on shooting 25,000 rounds thru your G26, get a lighter spring. I don't think you will see a big reduction in cranking force, that's more technique.

#18 · (Edited)
My G26 slide is too heavy. My 73 year old hands can barely pull it to the rear. Can I put in a lighter spring without risking damage to the pistol over time?
Hi, Frank!

Rather than lightening the spring, it may be a worthy effort to learn to rack the slide using the rear sights (a typical 'one-handed' slide rack). There are many online videos that illustrate the technique using different 'sight catches'... belts, table edges, et cetera.

For example...

One Handed Racking a Gun
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5tpZ7OgJB0[/ame]

And, if the pistol is still fitted with plastic sights, it may be a good idea to replace them with metal sights.

Best regards,

Bob :)

#19 ·
That's really a bad idea, with OEM sights that are tapered, for someone who has comprised physical ability. Take a look at this, it's a push/pull motion, all technique.

http://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/rack-slide-its-technique-strength/

And if the slide is too slippery for you, put some skateboard tape on the flats, and or, install a slide racker (lots of guys run them in competition on USPSA Open guns with frame mounted optics because there is hardly any of the slide to grab onto. There are several different models, some would obviously work better for CCW than others. There is also a gizmo called a Handi-Racker, might be just the ticker for you.

http://www.handi-racker.com/

#20 ·
Frank, I myself have suffered from chronic osteoarthritis and psoriatic arthritis for over 15 years, and for which I have to take an injection every 2 weeks (and blood work every 3 months). One of my crew is a retired LEO, in his late 70's, and suffers from chronic rheumatoid arthritis and nerve damage to his hands. We both have developed techniques to overcome the limitations. It's not based on strength at all, just knowing the tricks.

#21 · (Edited)
That's really a bad idea...
Seriously... ?!?!

So, learning 'one-handed' pistol manipulation is 'bad'?

You've got to be BS'ing me! :eek:

Some people simply don't have the strength or can tolerate the pain of certain physical motions... regardless of how easily those of us that can actually perform the task are able to perform it.

(My wife and I have an elderly parent living with us... for whom we've had to develop 'alternative' ways of accomplishing daily tasks. So, suggesting that a 'different' way of doing something is a 'bad' idea is simply... well... arrogant and insulting.)

One-handed pistol manipulation with standard Glock sights is not only possible, but is something I (and I'm guessing... thousands of others) practice routinely.

Far from a 'bad' idea... its a GREAT idea! Not just for those with lesser strength, but for everyone.

Gun Manipulation One-Handed, Now It's Even!
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS6itH6E_oQ[/ame]

Regards,

Bob

#22 · (Edited)
Bob, I've spent a great deal of time in competition and training, over 4 decades, both at the academy and private. One handed weapon manipulation is a very advanced technique. I've seen 2 accidental shootings that way, plus several DQ's at IDPA matches, and would never recommend it for anyone with physical limitations. And in reality, if you ever needed to crank a gun with one hand, most likely you would have been injured, as in shot in the hands, have dropped the gun to the ground, and would need to pick it up with a bloodied right hand. Not so easy. We used to run that drill in advanced handgun, where you had to pick up the gun from a bucket of soapy water. Unless you have right angle sights, like BattleHooks, it's much more difficult than it looks, especially for those who suffer chronic arthritis. Your range of motion is limited, along with your hand strength.

Do you practice that technique with OEM sights? Because they are tapered, it's far to easy to slip off. Plus in Franks case, I believe it is only for the purpose of loading his CCW gun.

Curious as to why the guy in the video is wearing an IWB holster, but not concealed...

#24 · (Edited)
Bob, I've spent a great deal of time in competition and training, over 4 decades, both at the academy and private. One handed weapon manipulation is a very advanced technique. I've seen 2 accidental shootings that way, plus several DQ's at IDPA matches, and would never recommend it for anyone with physical limitations. And in reality, if you ever needed to crank a gun with one hand, most likely you would have been injured, as in shot in the hands, have dropped the gun to the ground, and would need to pick it up with a bloodied right hand. Not so easy. We used to run that drill in advanced handgun, where you had to pick up the gun from a bucket of soapy water. Unless you have right angle sights, like BattleHooks, it's much more difficult than it looks, especially for those who suffer chronic arthritis. Your range of motion is limited, along with your hand strength.
Quite honestly, it doesn't matter to me what you would recommend. What matters to me is what safely works for those that need to perform a specific task.

Safely racking the slide can be accomplished with many techniques... your 'experience' notwithstanding.

As I mentioned, racking the slide with the standard OEM Glock rear sights is routinely practiced by many... including me... including those with 'lesser' strength... and it's NOT more difficult than it looks. As with all techniques, it must be understood and practiced.

To demand that those who simply cannot rack an automatic pistol do so, without consideration of their limitations and possible remedies, is arrogant, insensitive, and irresponsible.

Safety is paramount... but so is responsible counsel and instruction.

Regards,

Bob

#25 ·
Bob, so you don't use the internet technique you posted, I thought as much. You need to spend more time at the range and less time at the computer. Teaching a frail person that method is irresponsible. So I made this video just for Frank, was going to wait until the weekly USPSA match, but no reason to. Forgot to mount the camera upright but doesn't matter.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmjpvuwzDDc[/ame]

#26 · (Edited)
Bob, so you don't use the internet technique you posted...
Why do you assume that... ? :confused:

Not only do I use the techniques illustrated in the videos, I practice numerous other techniques as well.

Self defense techniques are limited only by the small minded.

My instructors taught me that square range techniques will get me killed... and to practice every 'outside the box' technique that I can safely practice... then I just might stay alive during a gunfight.

So... how many ways can I rack a pistol?

I'll never tell... ;)

Bob :rayof:

By the way... I'd like to get to the range more often, but the best I can do at the moment is two 4 hour, 600 round sessions a month. Sorry! (But, I practice 'dry fire' drills every day. Does that count?) :eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.