Recoil Spring Misalignment in Glock 27 Gen 4

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by Sharkbait, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Sharkbait

Sharkbait New Member

I recently purchased a Glock 27 Gen 4 and noticed that the recoil spring slips out of the seat and is just barely caught by the top of the barrel resulting in the axis of the spring being at an angle to the axis of the barrel which just seems wrong. I do not have this problem with my Glock 22 Gen 4. In this configuration, the lip of the spring end retainer plate takes all of the load instead of it being evenly distributed across the full face of the plate.

Glock tech support tells me that this is "normal" and that there is nothing that can be done. They say that the curved seat, where the spring axis is aligned with the barrel axis, is an "assembly aid" and is not where the spring is designed to stay once the gun is charged. This sounds like a rationalization for a problem that they do not have a fix for.

My question are:

1) Do I have a defective gun or is this a defective design? :confused:
    2) Is there anything that can be done to correct this? :confused:
    3) Does this create a reliability issue which could cause an FTF? :eek:
    4) Will the spring or the barrel eventually fail due to the misalignment?:mad:

You may have figured out that I am a mechanical engineer and a bit "anal retentive" when it comes to equipment designs.

Thanks, Allen

2. gladesbassin

gladesbassin Happy Member :) Supporter

Everything is fine, it's normal. I got so much lip from my friend when I recommend glock to him and he saw this. 500 rounds later and no problem he's a happy camper. It's what makes em so reliable, the fact everything inst crammed in there so tight. It give it the proverbial wiggle room. Get it checked out if you like though, you can never be to careful.

3. jeffw78

jeffw78 Member

Occasionally, when I field strip either one of mine the rear of the spring has slipped a bit. Hasn't caused any issues so far.

Have you shot the gun??

4. disturbedjosh

disturbedjosh New Member

I was the same way as you. I thought it was a flawed piece but I can tell you from experience, everything is fine.

5. SmoKoY

SmoKoY Member

I had the same "issue" on my 19 gen 3. I cheked the guns of my friends and seems like i'm alone on this one. But my gun seems to function very well after close to 1000 rounds. No malfunctions yet whatsoever

6. Normal........

7. cmonty48

cmonty48 Member

All three of my Glocks as well as the M&P did the same thing it's normal nothing to worry about

8. dustinscottt

dustinscottt New Member

Daniel Defense makes a piece that will solve this. I can't remember what it's called but the spring rests in it.

9. Sharkbait

Sharkbait New Member

Thanks for the response and yes, I have fired the gun. Maybe a hundred rounds with no problem. It just looks wrong and I know that the full force of the recoil is being carried by the lip on the end plate, not distributed across the full face of the plate. No matter what Glock says, I am convinced that this is a design problem that they probably have no fix for. Being an engineer is hell!

10. Jennslife12

Jennslife12 A girl...a Glock...and her targets

My G26 and G30SF both do this. It doesn't seem to be a problem yet though. I don't like the way it looks, but they work great :D

11. DON1962

DON1962 New Member

This is normal. It bothered me at first but several friends say theirs acts the same. I've put several hundred rounds through mine with no problems.

12. BORIS

BORIS New Member

The Glock is engineered for the RSA to rest against the frame when put together as a whole gun. The all the way up slot is for clearance so it can be put back together. When assembled it pops down to rest on the frame. When the slide is taken off there is another notch on the barrel to catch the RSA so it don't fly away and get lost. If it were not designed that way an engineer would re-engineer it so it wouldn't fly away. And now we come full circle. ....