Reasons why a .40 can't be suppressed like a 9mm or .45 ?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by Braz, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Braz

Braz New Member

A buddy of mine, correction, two buddies of mine don't believe me about not being able to do so. Maybe if they hear it from someone else they will believe us. I have tried to explain a super vs. sub round and they still say that they know someone who has one, they saw a bull**** video about someone who had one, they know its possible...

One of these buddies just bet me that he could have a Glock 18 within a year if he really wanted one... I tried to take him up on his bet but, we ended up yelling back and forth and chose to stop arguing cause we could not come to an agreement.

If you feel like commenting on that subject also, please feel free.

It's one thing to be a "know it all" and actually being knowledgable. Lol

2. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

hate to burst your bubble, but there are factory load subsonics for the 40sw, and there are several 40 suppressors to pick from.

I'm in on the bet against him being able to get a G18 within a year though ;)

3. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Regular Guy

4. Braz

Braz New Member

I should have added the fact about not using sub ammo while having a can on it.

5. Braz

Braz New Member

The entire argument was, I could get a really nice can and shoot my Speer Gold Dot's (165 gr P+) and have it "just like the movies"

6. Braz

Braz New Member

I was trying to explain to them about the round itself creating noise and they did not believe me. They said it was the "bang" of the gun that was loud. Instead of going on and on I knew someone on here would help me out. Ha ha.

And the Glock 18, I told him I would write up a legal document for a bet of $1,000 or a Glock of my choice. He turned it down but was still insisting. Lmfao

7. mikecu

mikecu New Member

Can your buddy get me a Glock model 7? :D

8. Braz

Braz New Member

I know right ...

9. Braz

Braz New Member

I told him if Ted Nuggent can't get one, neither can he ! Ha ha

10. rjrivero

rjrivero New Member

180's are around the 1000 fps mark. Should be subsonic in most instances.

165's aren't going to happen though.

11. bhale187

well, I guess I misunderstood your thread title and your first post. A 40 can be suppressed just like a 9mm and .45, but you are correct in the fact that any of those calibers shooting a supersonic round does greatly deminish the purpose of the supressor. There are 2 disinct sounds from a firearm being fired when supersonic. There's the bang of the explosion inside the firearm with the sound mostly exiting the muzzle, and then there's the sonic boom of the bullet breaking the sound barrier.

12. BORIS

BORIS New Member

The G18 can be had. How much money does he got though. All you need is to pay for the tax stamp and you can buy any full auto. If you got the cash, then you could say something like its too easy. The hardest part about getting FA IS the cash issue......

FWIW I saw one last weekend at an indoor range you can rent. And it ain't on loan from puff the magic dragon either. The store owner owns it, just sayin.......

13. bhale187

:rolleyes:

14. Braz

Braz New Member

Ha ha ha ! Glock 18 is not gonna happen.

15. BORIS

BORIS New Member

16. bhale187

You can have a Glock 18, but not with a simple tax stamp. G18s were not in country to be registered pre 86. The G18s and Glock full auto conversions that are at machinegun shoots are owned by Class 3 SOT FFLs with a LE demo letter or Class 2 SOT FFLs.

17. Braz

Braz New Member

^ well said

18. BORIS

BORIS New Member

I know the rules.

Like I said. If you got the cash, you can do it. Just ask anyone who owns one of these "demo" guns. I went to KCR 5 years straight when I lived in MI for the spring and fall shoot.

And if you got enough cash, they will even let you shoot it.

I guess a 40 cannt be suppressed either............

19. Braz

Braz New Member

I want a Glock 18 (legally) along with everyone else who owns any firearms. If they were available, we would all have them. My uncle is ERT, Emergency Response Team aka SWAT and he even said he would have to look into it... By all means, someone please prove me wrong cause I would LOVE to have one. Thanks

20. Braz

Braz New Member

Uh, a .40 can't be suppressed using 165 gr. Gold Dot's ... Read the entire post before you post a comment.

And he was not talking about "shooting" a Glock 18. He said give him a year and he would own one... HUGE difference.