Re Glock 23

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by eric dublirer, Jun 23, 2020.

1. eric dublirer

eric dublirer New Member

I inherited a glock 23 from Police uncle who was a captain It was a gen 2 which according o my aunt was kept on his bedside and was never carried and she was pretty sure he actually never carried it I ckecked with glock they said it was a gen 2 made in 91 and had to be updated So they were kind enough to send the prepaid shipping paper I send it back to them they replaced 26 different parts It is a 3 pin model I dont really like 40's so I asked them if I could convert it to a 9mm They said that model could not be converted because of the gen 2 They could not give me a reason why not can anyone help with an answer

RevV likes this.
  2. BlackGuns4Fun

BlackGuns4Fun Active Member Supporter

Try a lone wolf alpha wolf conversion barrel. Usually about $130 but you can sometimes find them on sale for less. Add a $9 pmag 9mm magazine and you will be a convert - regardless of what the glock folks told you.

LElliott and mattallamerican like this.

3. Lucian_253

Lucian_253 Well-Known Member Supporter

Do you have a pic of the pistol? I think Bob covered the why in another thread. I can’t remember the name of the thread it was in offhand.

4. Lucian_253

Lucian_253 Well-Known Member Supporter

I wonder if it has to do with the lack of a loaded chamber indicator, or did they add one when they updated?

IMG_3475.jpg

Danzig and LElliott like this.
  5. rbbeers

rbbeers Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting Member

Given that the only 40 to 9mm conversions that Glock supports are 40 to 357 SIG, my guess is that your inquiry was confused with such a conversion and G23 frames with pre-CPU*** serial numbers are not rated for 357 SIG.

That said, as BlackGuns4Fun posted, to convert your G23 to 9mm Luger, you only need a 40-to-9mm Luger conversion barrel... no other parts need or should be changed.

And, while many shooters prefer to buy 9mm magazines as well, it's really not necessary... the 40 magazines should function just fine.

Best regards,

Bob

RevV, BuzzinSATX and Lucian_253 like this.
  6. eric dublirer

eric dublirer New Member

thank you I would think that the mag feed lips has a different shape is a major difference

7. rbbeers

You're very welcome. :)

The shape is the same, the spacing is different.

The distances between the feed lips of the 40 cal and 9mm magazines are 0.380" and 0.335", respectively.

The largest diameter of the tapered 9mm Luger cartridge is 0.391".

9mm Luger cartridges fit the respective feed lips as shown below.

9mm in 40 cal magazine 1a.JPG

Personally, I've cycled many thousands of 9mm Luger cartridges through 40 cal magazines without issue (as have many other shooters)... it works just fine. :D

Best regards,

Bob

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    miniman, BuzzinSATX and Danzig like this.
  8. LostinTexas

LostinTexas Well-Known Member

If you insist on neutering the G23, and I would suggest leaving this one alone, find a Glock armorer and ask. There are some here and they may come along, but they may not know the answer either.
    Anyway, as said if you insist, buy a Lone Wold barrel, the barrel will need to be thicker due to the slide opening, get a 9MM extractor, and buy some magazines.
    There are places to be cheap and/or frugal, and others that you have to man up and do it right.
    If you want the reliability it should have, this needs to happen. "I never had a problem" is a great line for someone else.

9. rbbeers

The extractor need not (should not?) be changed... swapping out the .40 S&W parts of the slide with 9mm Luger parts for a "complete conversion" is an Internet myth.

The extractor, spring-loaded bearing, and firing pin are slide specific, not cartridge specific.

Please refer to the following thread...

Opinion requested on my Glock 27
    https://www.glockforum.com/threads/opinion-requested-on-my-glock-27.52573/

... specifically, the following posts...

Opinion requested on my Glock 27, post #13 (extractor and spring loaded bearing)
    https://www.glockforum.com/threads/opinion-requested-on-my-glock-27.52573/#post-1354065

Opinion requested on my Glock 27, post #5 (firing pin)
    https://www.glockforum.com/threads/opinion-requested-on-my-glock-27.52573/#post-1353797

That said, will the pistol function with a 9mm extractor in the .40 slide? :confused:

Yes, it will. ;)

I even tested that with short cases that headspaced on the extractor. :rolleyes: :D

However, the base of the cartridge won't be as 'snug' against the breechface... because the claw gap that 'captures' the case rim is 0.020" longer with the 9mm extractor than the gap with the .40 extractor.

Just sayin'... :D

Best regards,

Bob

BuzzinSATX and Danzig like this.
  10. LostinTexas

LostinTexas Well-Known Member

You may have explained why Glock says not to do this.
    It seems you contradicted your self in theis lengthy rant.
    Cheers.

11. rbbeers

Not if you actually read and truly understand the post and references.

Best regards,

Bob

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
    miniman, j102, Olga17 and 1 other person like this.
  12. AUTigerman

AUTigerman New Member

I have a 22.2 and have used a 9mm conversion barrel and G17 mags and have had no issues shooting 9mm out of it so far.

miniman likes this.
  13. I posted I was using G23 mags in my G19 for range work and training classes back around 2013 and got some disagreements by several “Glock Forum” posters (had a different login back then...”buzznrose”

Agree totally with Bob...they work fine. I won’t carry a G23mag in my G19, but mainly as a “just because” thing...cannot remember any real malfunctions to speak of I could directly relate to a magazine.

ETA: Actually, after finding that old post, I think the most grief I received was from another forum...maybe Glock Talk (which I now avoid)...

https://www.glockforum.com/threads/shooting-9mm-thru-40-cal-mags.22888/#post-490866

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    Lucian_253, Danzig and rbbeers like this.
  14. snapshot2021

snapshot2021 Member

How did you contact Glock i understand you can't e-mail them but they can e-mail you, did you call Glock at their 1-770-432-1202 number.

15. rbbeers

Excerpted from...

Glock Customer Service
    https://us.glock.com/en/customer-service

Contact

Customer Service
    To receive additional product and parts information, delivery schedules, information about your order, or other shipping information please contact:
    Phone: 770-432-1202
    FAX: 770-433-8719

U.S. Headquarters
    GLOCK, Inc.
    6000 Highlands Parkway SE
    Smyrna, GA 30082

USA Phone: 770-432-1202
    FAX: 770-433-8719

If you have questions or to request information, please email us at [email protected]

Best regards,

Bob

16. snapshot2021

snapshot2021 Member

Thank you very much i also have an older Glock23 it's my EDC, it has never had a problem, but your post got me to wanting to check also about it maybe needing up dating.

Danzig and rbbeers like this.
  17. NQNPIII

NQNPIII Well-Known Member

Never worked for me. Do you do it with any frequency?

18. rbbeers

Please refer to post #7...
    ... and post #13
    Best regards,

Bob

19. Scooter91

Scooter91 Member

Arizona
    I have been getting factory new mags for my G23 Gen 3 in .40, 9mm and .357 Sig from Natchez for $19 plus shipping. Have also bought the 9mm barrel from Storm Lake, Midway had them for $59 and the Alpha Wolf in .357 from another vendor. All function great with no problems with extraction or feeding. All barrels were a drop in fit.

Danzig likes this.
  20. NQNPIII

NQNPIII Well-Known Member

Storm Lake is out of business if I remember right. All SL parts are OOS. I was thinking of getting a 10mm conversion for my G21.