Range time: Has this ever happened to you?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by CDR_Glock, Jul 22, 2012.

1. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock Well-Known Member

You are so excited to try your new pistol. You drive to the range, you have mounted the target, and you're getting ready to put the ammo in the magazine WHEN...you brought the wrong AMMO!

Man! Was I disappointed. To add fuel to the flame? I forgot my wallet that had the money in it (luckily I had my ID and concealed carry license).

Anyways, I had two magazines loaded with 16 rounds so I was able to try it out.

So has this happened to you? You brought the wrong ammo?

2. EvilD

EvilD New Member

Sort of did the same thing, went hungting last deas, got out the the area, buddy is loading his gun, I went to lead mine, no ammo. it's a 90 minute ride to home and the nearest store didn't open for 3 hours. He has a 308, I had a 30.06. Didn't really matter, we didn't see anything.

3. dwcfastrice

dwcfastrice Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting Member

Been there, done that. I feel your pain.
    I've forgotten gun, ammo, targets, staples, eyes and ears, etc.

It's part of the territory when you have multiple Arms and multiple range bags.

D

4. Can't say I've ever forgotten anything on a range trip. Now that I've jinxed myself, looking forward to forgetting everything and then some on the next range visit. :eek:

5. SteveC

SteveC New Member

I've forgotten most everything at one time or another. Doesn't happen much anymore, since each time the pain is enough to eliminate that mistake. I don't tend to repeat mistakes, I'm just creative about making new ones :eek:

6. EvilD

EvilD New Member

Just reminded me of our last 3 gun shoot, was a friend of mines turn to go, he goes to make ready, no hand gun, I've never seen somebody break out in a sweat soo fast in my life, and I'm a nurse, i see a lot of crazy stuff, any who, he gets on the phone and his daughter answers and being a typical teenager give his a hard time, finally gets ahold of his wife, he left it on the dresser, thought I was gong to have to do cpr on him, I let him use my gun. In retrospect it was kind of funny, and I'll ride him about it for a few months, but at the time I really felt bad for him, loosing a gun in NY state you get treated like a rapist by the pd.

7. GlockIt

GlockIt Carry on my friends!!!!

Went to the gun range several years back and forgot the keys to my gun locks at home to the only gun I brought.

8. CCSir

CCSir Well-Known Member Supporter

Ohio
    At least you were smart enough to recognize ya brought the wrong ammo! Could have been much worse.

9. CDR_Glock

True.

I opened the box and went oh, Damn! 357 Magnum!

I was holding a 1911 45 ACP.

10. GlockIt

Shot a 40 s&w round in a 45acp one time. Not a fun thing to experience.

11. Danzig

Danzig I do hood rat sh%t! Supporter

Texas
    Went to a police competition with my S&W 629. I forgot my ammo which was sweet shooting .44 magnum 240grain. I ran to Walmart bought the only kind they had 185grain. Got to the range made ready and fired my string. WOW, had to be the hottest factory .44 mag load I've ever shot. After a couple of rounds I developed a flinch and had to be the worst score posted probably ever. With all the blast and recoil I drew the attention of every officer in attendance and I was the only one from my agency there. To add insult to injury the rangemaster came up to me and told me I needed to practice.

12. Nope, never. But I only shoot 9mm!

13. runman

runman New Member

What happens when you do this? Probably not ggod, so Figured I would ask rather than trying it myself.

14. GlockIt

Lower boom as their is no controlled explosion except an uncontrolled explosion that stretches and cracks/deforms the brass to the chamber size and locks up the gun. No injuries no broken S&W 645 just a scary situation

Attached Files:

15. runman

runman New Member

Ah, I see. Glad there's no injuries. I was wondering what it would do to the gun. Sound like it survived as well. I'll still go with NOT trying this myself. Thanks for the insight.

16. GlockIt

Me too, my 645 is a 2 1/2lb tank so I think that has something to do with it not breaking. Hint: never dump all your 40 and 45 ammo into a duffel bag when your in a hurry to go shooting doing so can lead to this when your doing rapid fire drills.

17. Levelcross

Levelcross New Member

So far I have not forgotten anything when heading out to the range...I am sure I will soon :eek:

18. CDR_Glock

This becomes a pitfall of shooting so many calibers.