Range Shooting

Discussion in 'Range Reports' started by dslmac2, Feb 21, 2012.

1. dslmac2

dslmac2 New Member

Hi, hola, Hello,

Does anyone know the best 9mm ammo for going to the range weekly? Needs to be good but also less expensive. Also a recommended store or website that has is for best price.

2. marvc

marvc New Member

Ive heard for the range uust go cheapest. I have used remington, federal, and american. All three were 12-15 bucks per 50 depending where you buy.

3. Kymaureen1

Kymaureen1 New Member

NC
    Range Ammo

Depends on what you are practicing for. If I am getting ready for a match, I shoot the same ammo (Winchester White Box) that I use during the match. Otherwise, as said previously, it doesn't matter - get the cheapest - and you may find a brand that works best for your pistol by experimenting.

4. Kymaureen1

Kymaureen1 New Member

NC
    Ammo

...and the cheapest place I have found to buy WWB ammo is at Walmart, but they don't always have it in stock where I live...

5. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

If you can, get a box of each brand and loading of ammo, from several retailers. Try them all out. Have a notebook nearby.

What you are looking for is that mix of bullet weight and powder burn that works best in your Glock in your hand, and the distances you would like to shoot at. Typical "ball" ammo (meaning jacketed solid core, not hollow-points or soft-points) in 9mm will weigh in at 115-grains per bullet. Some shooters prefer 124-grain bullets, but these cost more. Try them all, see what is most accurate for you, for the price of ammo. Make notes as you are shooting, and after cleaning your Glock, review your notes and you might find the answer right there.

Remember, though: stay away from bare lead ammunition....your Glock won't like it :(

6. Glocklust

Glocklust New Member

Make sure your pratice round is as close to the same weight as possible, it will help you should you ever get into a self defense situation. For example if you use a 115 grain pratice round but use a 124 grain hollow point you will feel a difference. You should also occasionally shoot your self defense load to keep it fresh and get a feel for recoil and point of impact as it may be different.

7. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Welcome to the Glock Forum Kymaureen1 !!

Which matches do you shoot ?

Local range...or state / nationally organized ?

8. Kymaureen1

Kymaureen1 New Member

NC
    Matches

I shoot local matches, but did shoot in the NC State IDPA Championship last year. I live in NC.

9. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Nice...!! Don't want to hijack the thread, so see ya around.