Range session

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by db559, Feb 19, 2012.

1. db559

db559 New Member

So I put the first 150 rounds through my new 21sf today. It felt great! But can anyone tell me why I shoot way more accurate with one hand?

2. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Leftie? Rightie?

In two-handed grip, describe the positioning of the fingers of your support hand, please.

Perhaps we can help....

3. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

Yep, if you are shooting better one handed it's because of a bad grip.

4. ckuenzer331

ckuenzer331 Member

My father shoots better with one hand too, but he learned to shoot in combat (Vietnam era Army)... I've tried to teach him modern combat, two handed shooting, but to no avail.... To each their own.... As for myself, I shoot much better with two hands as does most everyone I know...

As for grip, I would agree with the others. It's probably the way you're holding the handgun...

5. JHC

JHC New Member

My theory is when you blade your body to line up strong hand only, your eyes are further from the rear sight. How old are you? I'm 54 and the sights are clearer SHO and the rear notch appears tighter. Tighter rear notch; more like target sights of old, are good for precision. All that theory aside, I shoot better two handed. Only because the gun moves more during the trigger squeeze on a Glock. On my custom 1911 with a much lighter SA trigger, the difference is not as great.

6. Thats interesting.... personally, I couldnt really imagine shooting more accurate with one hand lol

7. Sometimes I shoot better one handed with my weak hand{left} which feels so abnormal it isn't funny.

8. db559

db559 New Member

image-3518341521.jpg

image-627557605.jpg

image-3518341521.jpg

Here's a few pics of how I hold with two hands. Any pointers?

Attached Files:

9. kodiak

kodiak Active Member

Here is how you should grip

Watch this video:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysa50-plo48&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  10. db559

db559 New Member

Great video. I'm gonna go try right now!

11. fls348

fls348 New Member

12. kodiak

kodiak Active Member

Practice...practice and you'll be fine

13. db559

db559 New Member

I am as we speak.

14. Webphisher

Webphisher Duct Tape, Alabama Chrome

That video is awesome, I had a Special Ops guy so me one more thing. Take this semi crouched position with your bum sticking out a bit. Actually a great shot of it is on the Glock page. Look at the icon they use for the military suggestions, thats the stance. But that was on top of everything the video said. Its a bit weird to get used to but it does help with recoil.

15. kodiak

kodiak Active Member

...I believe you are! ;)

Keep watching the video and understand everything he is saying, you'll pick up on more little things that will make sense to you the more you practice. Bet you can't wait to get back out to the range.

16. deeHKman

deeHKman New Member

SC
    That's what it's called. Every once in awhile i'll see a "cup and saucer" grip. OP should be a easy fix, good luck..

17. jimmyalbrecht

jimmyalbrecht Glockn Rollin

The modern grip was odd to me at first, but now I wouldn't use anything else. I like that the gun rises straight up with a very predictable recoil with the two thumbs forward grip.

18. Ogre

Ogre New Member

I know the feeling. I'm learning this as well after a few years of only casual handgun shooting.

19. JHC

JHC New Member

20. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Nice video.

Did anyone count how many times he swept the cameraman? LOL :p

What I teach is very much the same, with three important differences:

1. Plant the fingertips of your support hand in between the on-grip fingers of the shooting hand, just below the knuckes of the shooting hand.
    2. Then, wrap the support hand around the grip and to the rear. This does not require much force (your hands don'e get tired so quickly) and you will notice as wrapping back around the grip, it forces firmer contact of the fingers of the shooting hand into the grip frontstrap, and the "fleshy" part of the supprot hand covers the exposed part of the grip. This ensures more bone-on-grip contact front-to-back on the grip, without overly straining the hands.
    3. With weapon in hand, grip set firmly, lock wrists, elbows and shoulders (applies to isoceles and weaver/modified weaver), and with shooting hand side push outwards towards target from the shoulder (imagine punching someone with a fist, the entire arm is locked and pushing outwards); with the support hand, pull in from the hand. This push-pull action stabilizes the gun, helps control recoil, and aids is readdressing the target for follow-up shots.

Additionally, if using a Weaver or Modified Weaver, this action helps comfortably and consistently to raise the shoulder of the shooting hand, allowing shooter to sight along the length of the arm towards the front sight and thus the target. For rapid follow-up shots, you are basically aiming with your arm, not your front sight.

Shoot safe!