Glock Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not asking what you wear as far as brands, but I am curious as to if you wear both ear plugs and over ear protection, or simply one or the other? I am new to all of this and have been wearing both. I would say it's safe to assume that wearing both ear plugs and over ear protection is likely the best, but what do you do when you're at the range? I do think there's a benefit to being used to the sound of a gun going off, so if that's the case then I would say that over ear protection would be best. What do you use for ear protection?

Also, how many yards do you shoot away from with a 9mm handgun? 5, 7.5, 10, or what?

Thanks in advance!

·
Glockin’ since 1993
47,504 Posts
I recommend to new shooters and especially children and females to wear foam ear plugs and muffs.
I’ve pretty much worn one or the other with a preference for electronic muffs.
Electronic muffs let you keep them on and hear any commands or small talk among shooters.

I most often shoot at 10 yards but do 7 and 25 for kicks.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
I use either the plastic banded ear plugs or just the ear plugs on a string. I tried the over the ear kind and just find them too large, too hot and distracting. They also get in my way when shooting rifles. To each his own though; the important thing is that you are using some kind of hearing protection.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I am not asking what you wear as far as brands, but I am curious as to if you wear both ear plugs and over ear protection, or simply one or the other? I am new to all of this and have been wearing both. I would say it's safe to assume that wearing both ear plugs and over ear protection is likely the best, but what do you do when you're at the range? I do think there's a benefit to being used to the sound of a gun going off, so if that's the case then I would say that over ear protection would be best. What do you use for ear protection?

Also, how many yards do you shoot away from with a 9mm handgun? 5, 7.5, 10, or what?

Thanks in advance!
I wear both. I wear reusable silicon ear plugs and passive headphones whether I'm indoors or outdoors.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I always double up indoors. Also, I shudder when I see people shoot suppressed rimfire without earpro. Given that the levels of unsuppressed 22 are still above the safe levels, I don't recommend it unless you're outdoors and some distance away (not the shooter). But hey, I really love audio as well as shooting and there's no way I plan to lose more hearing than age already costs me.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Muffs, indoors or out. Plugs, to me, are a little better than nothing, but just barely. I've never been able to afford the custom molded, high end plugs the pros use. If I were younger, different story, but for however long I've got left, muffs will do.

Reactions: Bayou

·
Registered
172 Posts
The distance I'm shooting is irrelevant to me wearing ear protection.
In the parking lot of an outdoor range, I'll put on ear protection even though I may be 25 yards away (as soon as I exit my car).

I've got older versions of, over the head (copy/paste shorturl to open webpages):
Peltor Comtac w/gel cups. shorturl.at/OWY29
Sordin (MSA Sordin at the time) Supreme Pro X w/gel cups. shorturl.at/gtDKZ
Pro Ears "Pro Tac Mag Gold" shorturl.at/ELOZ7

and a few non-electronic ear protection and ear plugs of various brands.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts