Glock Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is there an after-market part that can make the Glock 17 (Gen 3) slide a bit easier to rack? (The slide on my Sig P226, by comparison, is smooth as butter.) This is not only a comfort issue. It could also be a life-or-death issue, if someone were in a shootout, say, and needed to rack the slide, especially with sweat, blood, rain, seawater, or sand on the hands. Thanks for your help.

·
309 Posts
northstar19 said:
Is there an after-market part that can make the Glock 17 slide a bit easier to rack? (The slide on my Sig P226, by comparison, is smooth as butter.) This is not only a comfort issue. It could also be a life-or-death issue, if someone were in a shootout, say, and needed to rack the slide, especially with sweat, blood, rain, seawater, or sand on the hands. Thanks for your help.
I have seen a picture of some deal that you mount and it adds a plastic hook behind the slide to grab on to... But for CCing that really isn't an option IMO. Seemed more for home defense/ ease for weaker wrists?

Just what I've seen, I didn't even read anything on it.

·
Certified Glock Armorer
4,715 Posts
northstar19 said:
Is there an after-market part that can make the Glock 17 slide a bit easier to rack? (The slide on my Sig P226, by comparison, is smooth as butter.) This is not only a comfort issue. It could also be a life-or-death issue, if someone were in a shootout, say, and needed to rack the slide, especially with sweat, blood, rain, seawater, or sand on the hands. Thanks for your help.
If your going to wait till you need to shoot your Glock and then "rack" it, your to late nothing will help you. Our last shot from the mag will hold the slide open incase you need more than 17 rounds.

·
Registered
236 Posts

·
Remember, our government prefers us to be SSD (Sto
65 Posts
This is the strongest argument for carrying with round in pipe. Life of death you will not have time (you are reacting to the threat) or ability to ready weapon without revealing your location, or have the coordination to rack safely.
The best way to rack, even with weak arm strength, is to overhand grip firmly close to body with muzzle pointing forward near level and quickly thrust the gun forward forcing the hand off of the slide. With a little practice this is easy to do. It also helps a lot to buy a Prohands Gripmaster and develop a strong grip with both hands. I would recommend the slide attachment devices only for guns with optical/redot/reflex mounted.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
If your going to wait till you need to shoot your Glock and then "rack" it, your to late nothing will help you. Our last shot from the mag will hold the slide open incase you need more than 17 rounds.
chuckds, I always carry a round in the chamber. I was thinking more in terms of FTE, etc., in the middle of a shootout.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Are you talking about a compact model or full sized model? I didn't think GLOCKS were all that difficult to rack the slide on.

In any case the overhand push/pull method is the easiest method to rack most any handgun.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Ya, grow a pair. Are you sure there's nothing wrong with your Glock? Mine was a little stiff brand new but there's nothing to it now. Maybe I've never felt a "Quality" firearm before but I can't say that it's any harder then any other Semi I've ever operated. Some, with even smaller slides, were more of a problem. Maybe it's a practice thing and you need to grip the slide and rack the base of the gun instead of the opposite?

But definately make sure there isn't something wrong with the gun first.

I do often forget that as a 6'2" 275 pound lummox, some things are simpler for me then for smaller people. But I was standing next to a little feller that was barely 5 foot and skinny that was having no problems with racking his glock and neither did his smaller wife. Check the gun.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Grab the top of the slide with your off (weak side) hand. Push rearward with it while pushing forward with the other. If it is too difficult there may be a problem with the weapon.

I do not recommend the Thumb and index finger pinch (aka the Magnum P.I.) technique, even if you have ample grip strength. Under high stress and conditions described by the OP it could lead to problems. I rack the slide as I described every single time the same way so it has become natural.
Here is a quick vid.
[ame]http://youtu.be/uHke2hUCaBY[/ame]

·
If it goes boom or bang, I want to play with it!
1,000 Posts
I took a much simpler approach. My wife was having a hard time racking my slide when she was using my gun at the range, so I took very thin strips of skateboard tape and put them in the ribs of the slide. it doesn't add any weight, or obstruct anything that might cause issues with CC.
Here are before and after pictures:
Trigger Air gun Finger Gun barrel Gun accessory

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Combat pistol shooting

Attachments

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
To be honest at first my Ruger SR40C was a ***** to charge..It's wearing in better after 7 months.

·
Registered
553 Posts
kennydale said:
To be honest at first my Ruger SR40C was a ***** to charge..It's wearing in better after 7 months.
My new Ruger SR1911CMD is 5x harder to rack than my Glocks....I'm sure a little break-in will be beneficial.
For the first time, I put a tiny amount of gun grease on the slides.....is better.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
My Ruger SR40C is JUST becoming easier to charge...purchased Nov 2012.

·
Duct Tape, Alabama Chrome
1,672 Posts
Honestly it means you need more training with your fire arm. The grip tape is a nice little touch tbh.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts