questions on buying across state line

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by Glockin27gen4, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Glockin27gen4

Glockin27gen4 New Member

I live in Mississippi and I'm going to a gun show in Louisiana to buy another glock I'm not sure if its legal to buy out of state but I heard its OK with bordering states. Does anyone know the laws on this issue any input would be greatly appreciated

2. Ghost23

Ghost23 New Member

From everything I've read, it's illegal to fill out the ATF paperwork across state lines. However, what I have heard of people doing, is contacting a local dealer with an FFL and asking the seller to ship the firearm to that site. This is completely legal.

3. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

As far as I know you can buy a gun in any state you want, follow the rules on interstate transfer, and you'll be fine. Never heard otherwise. Just like any other good, as long as its legal in your state, as long as you fill out all required papers in that state... I am not sure on this but I have had friends go on trips and come back with new guns...

4. chris

chris New Member

I live in oklahoma and i can buy a long gun in missuori but if i want a pistol i have to get with a ffl in ok. I then have to send it to that shop. Hope this helps.

5. iguana0983

iguana0983 New Member

I live in the Magnolia state like you. I've been to a gun show in Slidell,La and Cabela's in Gonzales. You are able to buy a shotgun or a rifle in the state but you can't buy a handgun with an out of state license.

6. Ghost23

Ghost23 New Member

I knew about the handguns, but not the long guns. Good to know.

7. iguana0983

iguana0983 New Member

I live in the magnolia state too. I've been to a gun show in Slidell and Cabela's in Gonzales. They told me that you can purchase a shotgun and a rifle but can't buy a handgun with an out of state drivers license.

8. iguana0983

iguana0983 New Member

Sorry about the dup. It's the connection with my phone

9. jimmyalbrecht

jimmyalbrecht Glockn Rollin

Yep, it is a federal law about handguns so no getting around that one.

10. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

What federal law?

11. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

Not to sound demanding or anything but I think it's a good thing to quote the law when you say that it is the law. Helps keeps the facts straight. Unless stated otherwise like my post that I don't really know. Please and thank you.

12. jimmyalbrecht

I'm not going to look up the exact code and section. Feel free to search for yourself on the atf website. It has every federal law passed on there. If you don't believe me just go ask a lawyer or a police officer. You can't purchase from an FFL dealer if they are out of your state of residence. PPT are fine.

13. jimmyalbrecht

Sorry for the triple post, but I stopped being lazy:

(B2) From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA? [Back]

A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

(B3) May an unlicensed person obtain a firearm from an out-of-State source if the person arranges to obtain the firearm through a licensed dealer in the purchaser’s own State? [Back]

A person not licensed under the GCA and not prohibited from acquiring firearms may purchase a firearm from an out-of-State source and obtain the firearm if an arrangement is made with a licensed dealer in the purchaser's State of residence for the purchaser to obtain the firearm from the dealer.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and 922(b)(3)]

Note also that 18 U. S. C. (a)(5) makes it unlawful for a resident of a state to transfer or deliver a gun to someone he should know is not also a resident of that state.

14. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

Thank you, guess that answers it.

15. Glockin27gen4

Glockin27gen4 New Member

Thanks for the info I guess if I find a deal on anything I will try to work something out with one of the local gun shops to transfer it back to Ms

16. Jerry

Jerry New Member

NC,
    Yelp, long guns can be bought out of state which I can't understand the concept of tactical assault weapons easily bought but pistols can't , just saying! hand guns must be shipped to your local FFL gun dealer. Most places will only charge around 25 bucks to cover the paper work!

17. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

Or if you have friends with ffl's... They will hook you up. =)

18. KeenansGarage

KeenansGarage Hiding in plain sight....

If you find a psitol, I know a few FFL's depending on where you are located. Also, the Great Southern show comes to Jackson next weekend. It is a fairly large show too.

19. Glockin27gen4

Glockin27gen4 New Member

I live in south ms